'Keys to Body Transformation' Article?

a few years ago I read an article here about steps or keys to do a body transformation. there was 1. tell everyone about what your doing, 2. get pissed off(gave an example of a guy that was fat & finally got pissed off at the world & focused all energy at his goals. anyway I can’t remember enough of it to find it in a search.

Ive got a guy wanting to train with me that is 5’10 & 525. He was a great football player & very strong in high school / college & is now a coach.(39 yrs old) he bought a bar & drank beer & ate fried food for the last 10 years. Now out of the bar business & had a recent major health problem. is wanting to re-direct his life.

So, I remeber that article & though it would be a good read for him & hoping to get some help finding it.

Thanks,
CT

Probably these two

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/the_beast_evolves

Telling people what you’re doing provides a huge psychological benefit. In addition to others supporting you with constant encouragement, it also makes you be accountable for slacking off.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Telling people what you’re doing provides a huge psychological benefit. In addition to others supporting you with constant encouragement, it also makes you be accountable for slacking off.

S[/quote]
I’ve actually read somewhere that telling people your goals actually makes you more likely to not accomplish them.

Perhaps there is a happy medium somewhere.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:

S[/quote]
I’ve actually read somewhere that telling people your goals actually makes you more likely to not accomplish them.

[/quote]

I really don’t think telling others matters much…unless those “others” are good friends you see in the gym who are constantly encouraging you.

Telling faceless people on the internet is NOT the same and telling people who are part of the crew that helped you get fat in the first place is not the same.

I am dropping weight now and hate the idea of losing muscle size and/or strength, but hearing positive reinforcement from people I know who have competed at my gym helps a ton. It would not mean the same coming from the internet or random people who don’t lift and really don’t care about your goals.

a guy i know done a sponsored slim .he lost 100 lbs and he raised about 750 pounds for a local kids home .

Thanks for the replys. Neither was the article I was thinking of, but both very good. Thank you.

Boo-ya.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]

I really don’t think telling others matters much…unless those “others” are good friends you see in the gym who are constantly encouraging you.

Telling faceless people on the internet is NOT the same and telling people who are part of the crew that helped you get fat in the first place is not the same.

I am dropping weight now and hate the idea of losing muscle size and/or strength, but hearing positive reinforcement from people I know who have competed at my gym helps a ton. It would not mean the same coming from the internet or random people who don’t lift and really don’t care about your goals.[/quote]

There is also a difference between people motivated internally and externally. Internal motivated people tend not to required external sources of positive reinforcement. These people function and perform well and if I was to guess whether they needed music to hit a PR I’d say no.

Externally motivated people need a lot of encouragement - this is not a problem - just that this needs to be recognised in a workplace setting and identified in how they train.

I’m with Stu on telling people. But tell people of value. Your spouse, best friend etc not Tom, Dick and Harry on the internet as X mentioned. Your integrity will ensure that you fulfill it. Some call it integrity others pride, but heck whatever gets the job done.

If you keep it a personal goal, not tell anyone and work towards it and achieved it, I’d expect your motivation to be very strong both in and out of the gym.

Of course people possess both traits and can deploy them in whichever manner suits them but one motivator (external or internal) will dominate.

I remember these articles…

“…I would personally choose a high quality dietary supplement, such as Flameout, or superfood, or both…”

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

Boo-ya.[/quote]

That’s it! Thank you.

CT

I’ve gone through what I’d call two vastly different transformations in the past 4 years or so. One was a rapid weight loss followed by a (still currently) strength/muscle building transformation.

I agree that telling people close to you (or people who’s opinion you value) helps with motivation and not just necessarily posting to random folks on a public board.

I keep a log in O-35 more for discussion/education/advice than for motivation for myself-- that comes from within whether I post here or otherwise.

In fact, except for the people who see me regularly, nobody ever really knows what I’m doing as I don’t really discuss details. I see colleagues every few weeks or so and some colleagues/customers once or twice a year. It’s always a great gauge to see their reactions when they see me. The rapid weight loss through some for a loop (dropped 60-70 lbs in a few months) and the bulk has done the same a few years later.

Regarless, it’s internal motivation with some public reality checks.

Our first workout was today. He believes he is at his heaviest wt. around 540, he’s 5’10". We did 3 X 20 medicine ball passes & I had him do 2 sets of 10 overhead squats with a broomstick. Then a punching drill with pad for around a min.

After the workout, he barely made it to his truck. I love this guy, he’s my cousin, but I have a hard time understanding how he let himself get to this point. We were working out last spring & he ended up having to have his gulbladder taken out. Huge set back for a guy that size. He is just now getting back to the gym.

He is going to lift upper body 2 X a week, and do cardio 4 days a week, I’m in charge of the cardio. Trying to do a a “body for life” diet. His knees are so shot, he can’t squat & can’t get up off the floor when he gets down. He says one lap around a football field would be difficult. Since he’s not doing any official leg days, I’m goning to try to incorporate as much in the cardio days as possible.

Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated, as of now, I’m just gonna keep upping the intensity / difficulty of each workout. Starting very slow. Gonna try to keep him moving.

Thanks,
CT

My Father’s pretty overweight (not what your cousin weighs, but still enough to make people question what he’s done). When I was working with him, we didn’t do any actual lower body work either, simply trying to get him to do more cardio type of work. Nothing too strenuous of course, but for a seriously overweight man, even walking a treadmill at a slight incline can put a hurting on his muscles. Definitely take things slow with leg work for now. If he can’t walk one lap around a football field, maybe use a recumbent bike so there’s less stress on his joints, but still enough motion to engage the muscles.

S

yesterday I had him to some tabata style circit. 20 reverse chop with a medicine ball, 10 sec rest, 20 sec overhead med ball slams to the floor, 10 sec rest, 20 sec thrusters with 10 lb, 10 sec rest, 20 sec high knees, 10 sec rest, 20 sec front squat with broom stick, 3 min rest, then did it again. then took 8-10 min & performed both sets again.

total of 10 min of excercise. over the next few weeks I want to work him up to 20 min, then intensify the workout.

it seemed to go very well he didn’t finish the front squats on any set, but he was moving well( for 540)

gonna mix it up again today & to the same kind of workout.

CT

My Father’s pretty overweight (not what your cousin weighs, but still enough to make people question what he’s done). When I was working with him, we didn’t do any actual lower body work either, simply trying to get him to do more cardio type of work. Nothing too strenuous of course, but for a seriously overweight man, even walking a treadmill at a slight incline can put a hurting on his muscles. Definitely take things slow with leg work for now. If he can’t walk one lap around a football field, maybe use a recumbent bike so there’s less stress on his joints, but still enough motion to engage the muscles.

S[/quote]

Would you say your father’s weight was one of the factors that originally lead you towards bodybuilding?

The fact my family is filled with type 2 diabetics, as well overweight and obese people is what lead me to health > fitness > bodybuilding.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Would you say your father’s weight was one of the factors that originally lead you towards bodybuilding?

The fact my family is filled with type 2 diabetics, as well overweight and obese people is what lead me to health > fitness > bodybuilding. [/quote]

I don’t know if it’s THE reason behind it, but it’s most certainly a factor. I don’t see how anyone can not be affected by their peers and family, whether in an attempt to emulate certain traits, or to avoid them. Both of my brothers are into staying in shape as well, so I’m sure there’s some ‘issues’ going on with all of us :slight_smile:

S