Kettlebll Conditioning

Hey all,

I’m looking to add kettlebells back into my training, preferably after my lifting sessions geared towards HIIT workouts or whatever you want to call them. Basically just get my lungs screaming while I do a workout.
I’ve used kettlebells in the past so I am familiar with almost every type of lift out there but I was wondering if anyone out there had a normal kettlebell routine they wouldn’t mind sharing.
Ideally want to do kettlebells 3-4 times a week.

Cheers.

At the risk of promoting myself, I’m actually working on a little ebook that is basically a compilation of complexes using barbells and kettlebells (or any other tool such as a sandbag). None of these are my own and I give credit to the original author of the complex. The one below is from Pat Flynn. You only use one kettlebell and, of course, do the work on both sides. Pat says to do all of the exercises on one side, then switch sides. The work adds up quickly.

Here is another complex from Mr. Flynn â?? The Beast Mother. The following is Patâ??s description of the complex. I had to copy and paste the whole thing as it exemplifies Patâ??s unique writing style.

The Beast Mother, as she is known, and like any other form of hellish miscreant, is a charming deceiver. She is inviting, and lures you inâ??a single kettlebell complex, how bad can it be?â??a true snare of the devil, let me tell you. But then you are caught. And then does she torture you, and then does she butcher you, and then does she explode your pieces up into the air in chunksâ??that is really the best way to describe it. One fellow sent me an email to report whole of the thing to be as evenly painful, inescapable, and ludicrous as marriage. But I have no experience on that, and cannot say whether it is true or not.

The Beast Mother:
One Arm Swing
Clean and Press (one clean before each press; this is a combination movement)
Snatch
Front Squat

How To Do It:
Start with two reps of each, on both sides. Then, add two reps, and repeat. Continue adding reps by twos until you peak at 8â??then descend in the same manner. Run as many quality rounds as you can in 15 minutes.

What Weight to Use:
For the most part, males use a 20kg, females use a 12kg.

[quote]Stu9123 wrote:
Hey all,

I’m looking to add kettlebells back into my training, preferably after my lifting sessions geared towards HIIT workouts or whatever you want to call them. Basically just get my lungs screaming while I do a workout.
I’ve used kettlebells in the past so I am familiar with almost every type of lift out there but I was wondering if anyone out there had a normal kettlebell routine they wouldn’t mind sharing.
Ideally want to do kettlebells 3-4 times a week.

Cheers.[/quote]

Here’s a simple complex that will get your lungs screaming

A1) Goblet squat x12
A2) KB swing x12

5 reps w/ 60 sec rest

I use a 32 kg bell (70lb)

Snatches, 5 each side on the minute for 20 minutes

Swings, 10,20,30,40, work : rest ratio 1:1 do 5 rounds

Here’s a nasty complex
Swing x 5
Snatch x 5
Clean and Press x 5
Reverse Lunge x 5
Row x 5
Switch hands, do 5-7 rounds, 3 minutes rest in between, use a 24 kg.

Stacking
Swing x 20
Rest 30
Swing x 20 Squat x 10
Rest 30
Swing x 20, Squat x 10 Slingshot x 20
Rest 30
Swing x 20, Squat x 10, Slingshot x 20, Clean and Press 5L, 5 R
Rest 30
Swing x 20, Squat x 10, Slingshot x 20, Clean and Press 5L, 5R, Row 5L, 5R
Rest 90 repeat 3-5 rounds, with heaviest bell you can handle

My favorite from Pat Flynn
The Helion
35lb or 45 lb bell
Set clock for 20 minutes
Two hand swing x 2, One Hand Swing x 2L,2R, Thruster (Squat to Press) 2L,2R
Then do 4, of each, then 6, the 8 then 10
Come back down 10,8,6,4,2
Do as many ladders as possible, rest as needed. Used a 55 once with this, thought I was going to die at the end

I am currently doing the 10000 KB swing challenge, but before I started I was alternating KB conditioning and loaded carries as a finisher as follows:
Day 1: Lift & clean based KB complex/emom/conditioning/etc.
Day 2: Lift & loaded carries
Day 3: OFF
Day 4: Lift & snatch based KB complex/emom/conditioning/etc.
Day 5: Lift & loaded carries
Day 6/7: OFF

I would throw in swings on either day if it fit into a good complex.
I found a good bit of success with this. In your case I know you mentioned hitting KB conditioning 3-4 times a week so you could take out the loaded carries and just alternate clean and snatch based complexes, but Ive found the loaded carries keep it interesting (who cares about my interests though).

Also, if you’re just looking for a good KB conditioner, definitely recommend giving the secret service snatch test a try, quite the gut check.