T Nation

Kettlebells

I have never used kettlebells – really because my gym doesn’t have them. But I’m not beyond using them at home.

I looked at some of the sites listed that were given to the original poster of another thread.

What exercises with the kettlebells have you found that hit your body in ways that dumb bells couldn’t? What’s the major motivation for using them?

I am hoping to improve my overall shoulder health, and I thought that light kettlebells might be the way to go. I would increase weight as my overall shoulders became stronger.

[quote]tweaker wrote:
I have never used kettlebells – really because my gym doesn’t have them. But I’m not beyond using them at home.

I looked at some of the sites listed that were given to the original poster of another thread.

What exercises with the kettlebells have you found that hit your body in ways that dumb bells couldn’t? What’s the major motivation for using them?

I am hoping to improve my overall shoulder health, and I thought that light kettlebells might be the way to go. I would increase weight as my overall shoulders became stronger.[/quote]

I just gave my pair to my brother for Christmas last night. I like dumbbells better personally. But it’s all in what you like I guess.

If you’re looking for shoulder health there are some great articles on this site which show you some movements to use. I don’t remember kettlebells being in there, but I could be wrong.

A kettlebell in itself isn’t going to necessarily give you better shoulder health compared to a dumbell; like anything else found in a gym, it’s just another tool. Program design and execution are still the backbone of any resistance regime, regardless of your goals.

With that being said, I do think kettlebells are a useful tool just as dumbells and barbells are. Generally you’ll find that kettlebells have a thicker handle than dumbells and that their center of gravity is going to be different while being held when compared to a dumbell.

You might want to check out Mike Mahler’s site for additional info.

The ones I get the most from are overhead pressing motions and windmills. These are better with kettlebells because the shape forces the weight to be a wee bit in front of you, which puts less stress on the joint, plus it works the rotator cuff too with windmills.

There is just way too much crapola from Pavel and his camp. On the one hand, they are a really good tool, on the other Pavel will make you pay through the nose. (And if you really get caught up and pay enough, he’ll even let you write marketing copy for him.) Don’t buy his stuff, but look on the web. http://www.bodybuilding.com has a searchable database of kettlebell exercises. A good investment is the kettlestack

http://www.kettlestack.com/

since these are adjustable (you need plates with the small holes, not standard size).

Good Luck

jj