Kettlebells

Anyone here at T-Mag using Russian Kettlebells for their workouts? And if so, are they as good as there worth?

Here’s what Ian King wrote about them:

"As you know, trends take off from time to time and then they die down. You can tell the justifiable trends as the ones that stay around for years and years, as opposed to the ones that turn out to be fads. Now just because they stick around doesn’t mean they are justified — take the Swiss ball for example.

The great thing about any surge in popularity of a tool or method is it raises the awareness of that tool or method. I believe any fad can be good. In this case, more people are getting educated about the role of the kettlebell.

It is also appropriate to remind you of the natural human and social reactions — an over-reaction in the short-term and an under-reaction in the long-term. When a “new” thing becomes popular, many over-promote it and many over use it. After a while they become disillusioned or bored, and then under-use it.

Instead of going through this yo-yo response, I encourage you to objectively analysis any new trend. Ask yourself, “What application would that have for me?” In doing so, I want you to cut out any marketing hype, or the opinions of others. Ask and answer the question yourself with complete objectivity. If you can do this exercise, I believe you will save yourself a lot of time and energy.

So rather than being one of the ones that may have wasted some months or years, you made a more rationale decision.

Remember this — there is an incredible tendency to look for the latest thing to work for you. I want to tell you something that you may not want to hear: you already have enough knowledge and tools to get the result you want, but you are going to have to work for it, not hope a “new” trend is going to work for you!"

I have been using the 36 lb KBell from Dragondoor for a month now doing swings, snatches, Clean&jerks, squat presses, side presses, and shoulder presses, and I can honestly say that I have not only gotten stronger in the shoulders and lower back, but I have slimmed down. I work with the KB in the morning alterneting between KB, jumping jacks, pushups, and burpies(sort of a meltdown workout) for three or four sets. It sure gets the heart rate up and wakes you up! This spring I will be taking it too the track to do Mike Mahler’s Road Work, and I will buy the 56lb KB to put at the opposite end of the track. I want to work up to two or three miles using various elements each time I come to a KB. If MM is right, I should be ripped in 3-4 weeks. Then I will buy the 72 and 88 pound KBs and work on increasing my strength so that I can increase my numbers with the lighter weights. On a side note, the KB was all I could do for that month because my gym closed and I was waiting for a dumbell set. At the three-week mark, I was in a car accident where I was hit from behind- and I was not sore or even really felt like I was in the accident. We Americans can really take the easy way out sometimes, and in this case, not doing heavy labor on a daily basis has made us soft. Are there other KBs out there that are better? Maybe, but I like the feel of the thick handle and the cold iron!

Yes and yes.

I have just recently begun to incorporate kettlebell training into my routines and can say that they are definitely woth it. They are a valuable asset to just about any training program.

Are they necessary? - No

Are they challenging? - Yes

Are they the magic tool that Pavel claims? - No

Are they fun and something different? - Yes

Will I be giving up my gym membership to train primarily with kettlebells? - No chance

Overall, they are a great tool to add to your bag of tricks. They are completely legitimate and will be around for a long time to come. But they aren't magic. They won't rip fat off your body or help build strength and LBM unless you put the time and effort into using them.

Hi,
I like using my 53lb kettlebell for the following reasons.

1. I like doing olympic style lifts
  2. I like doing unilateral work
  3. I like the change of pace and the caloric impact “roadwork” has on my body.(see Jason Norcross’s thread of the same tittle for his and my plan)
  4. It really helps your explosivness and transfers well to other real sports.
  5. they’re tough and cool and people wonder what the hell your doing with a cannonball with a handle on it.

Cross, rather than reiterate everything you just wrote, I will compliment your post for being DIRECTLY on target. You want the greatest training advice ever, kids? One simple word: Balace. Here’s the kicker, it works with life in general, too.

MBE: “Putting the “tramp” in trampoline since 1441.”

-Eric

I use Renegade Training and kbell movements are done routinely. At the gym, I use dumbbells and at home I use my kbell. I prefer using the kbell because it’s more comfortable, gives a better workout, flows better when doing one-arm snatches and other lifts and adds another degree of difficulty due to the thick handle and shape. I have used my kbell exclusively when taking a break from the gym or when I can’t get to the gym for various reasons (traveling, no time, etc.). So it depends on the type of training you do. They are a great tool. I find it better to use a kbell than a dumbbell for certain exercises, but it will never be a replacement for my entire workout. It’s just one part of the puzzle.

I can’t relay the DOMS in the obliques when doing windmills for the first time. Its helped how my shoulder feels. If you can, try borrowing one and playing with it for 2 weeks. You may get hooked.

I agree with Jason on his breakdown of the application of the kettlebell. It will help and it isnt necessary. It also isnt the magic pill Pavel claims (probably a great marketing tool.) It is a worthy piece of equipment to a great gym though. I also have noticed my sports ability improve alot. Wouldnt hurt to try it out.

Hi I am a 48 year old guy. I have been using kettlebells for the past 4 years.

I have owned the following sizes (lbs) 18, 26, 44, and 62. I sold my 62 pounder after having neck surgery in 2007.

The kettlebell is the best exercise that I have found for me. I can workout at home and they take up very little room. I do the following exercises:

Swings, passes and pushups.

The swing is the essential overall kettlebell movement. It works every large muscle group.

Passes - works your “core” group, grip, forearms, biceps, triceps and shoulders.

[quote]texaskettlebell wrote:

I have owned the following sizes (lbs) 18, 26, 44, and 62. I sold my 62 pounder after having neck surgery in 2007.

The kettlebell is the best exercise that I have found for me. I can workout at home and they take up very little room. I do the following exercises:

The swing is the essential overall kettlebell movement. It works every large muscle group.

Passes - works your “core” group, grip, forearms, biceps, triceps and shoulders.

[/quote]
dude, i know this is your first post and all,but this thread is 9 years old!

[quote]alit4 wrote:

[quote]texaskettlebell wrote:

[/quote]
dude, i know this is your first post and all,but this thread is 9 years old![/quote]

At least he’s using the search function. That’s better than a lot of new posters

Ronnie Coleman used kettlebells exclusively for several years during his Olympia winning streak.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ronnie Coleman used kettlebells exclusively for several years during his Olympia winning streak. [/quote]

I somehow doubt that. Where did you read this?

[quote]overstand wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ronnie Coleman used kettlebells exclusively for several years during his Olympia winning streak. [/quote]

I somehow doubt that. Where did you read this?[/quote]

It’s true. Even Matt Kroc admitted in interview that kettlebell swings aided his deadlift massively.

Kettlebells are good for strength endurance or a more interesting way to burn body fat than traditional forms of cardio. Kettlebells being used as your only form of strength training is a bit short sighted.

maybe something’s wrong with my computer, but all the posters before the bump all have exactly 224532 posts and their join date is jan 2003 but their posts are from dec 2002. and they all have the same join date as well.

what’s with that?

[quote]overstand wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I somehow doubt that. Where did you read this?[/quote]

Everyone knows he didn’t. I was merely making a point that this is a BBing forum, and no bodybuilder ever built a winning physique using those ridiculous cumbersome and archaic kettlebells.

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:

maybe something’s wrong with my computer, but all the posters before the bump all have exactly 224532 posts and their join date is jan 2003 but their posts are from dec 2002. and they all have the same join date as well.

what’s with that?

[/quote]

I could get hunted as a fugitive for telling you this, BUT that number sequence is the exact password to enter Biotest’s secret laboratory headquarters…

EDIT
Since the lab HQ is secret I guess it doesn’t matter if you know the password.