T Nation

Kettlebells With Bodybuilding Program?

Hello all,

I’m new around here so please excuse my newbness. I’ve been working out exclusively with kettlebells for the past few months. I’m wondering if I could incorporate a bodybuilding routine (barbells and dumbbells) with the kettlebells. How would you guys do this? Mix em up in the same workout or separate them? Thanks for any suggestions.

I used to work out exclusively with kbs, too. They will only get you so far. I found that the best way to incorporate them into my program was to ditch them from most of my actual “bodybuilding” work (work focused on growing muscle in balanced proportion) because they are just not as versatile as a good gym, but to keep them in for GPP work, for which they are superior to anything else I have encountered. In other words, they are a terrific substitute for steady state cardio and it’s ilk.

I won’t advise you on what bb program will work best, but I personally follow a (usually) four day split: legs, hams/lower back, upper back shoulders, chest tris, with other specialization days thrown in from time to time. Then, when I wanna trim down a bit, I do clean and jerks, snatches and swings with kbs, typically in this manner:

CJ 60 reps of sets of 10 each arm, rest only 20 to 30 seconds between sets

Snatches, same thing immediately following the above

Swings, same thing immediately following the above.

Puke in a bucket, finish.

This has been giving me far superior gains compared to when I used to just work with kbs exclusively.

Hope this helps.

[quote]tyler9907 wrote:
Hello all,

I’m new around here so please excuse my newbness. I’ve been working out exclusively with kettlebells for the past few months. I’m wondering if I could incorporate a bodybuilding routine (barbells and dumbbells) with the kettlebells. How would you guys do this? Mix em up in the same workout or separate them? Thanks for any suggestions.[/quote]

[quote]tyler9907 wrote:
Hello all,

I’m new around here so please excuse my newbness. I’ve been working out exclusively with kettlebells for the past few months. I’m wondering if I could incorporate a bodybuilding routine (barbells and dumbbells) with the kettlebells. How would you guys do this? Mix em up in the same workout or separate them? Thanks for any suggestions.[/quote]

Look at Mike Mahler’s articles.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
tyler9907 wrote:
Hello all,

I’m new around here so please excuse my newbness. I’ve been working out exclusively with kettlebells for the past few months. I’m wondering if I could incorporate a bodybuilding routine (barbells and dumbbells) with the kettlebells. How would you guys do this? Mix em up in the same workout or separate them? Thanks for any suggestions.

Look at Mike Mahler’s articles.[/quote]

I’d rather look at your avatits…er avatar.

Seriously though, Mahler is a very well built Vegan.