Kettlebells for Powerlifting

Kettlebells are the way they are because if when they were made and the quality if the metal available at that time . There’s a reason why dumbells were made. Doesn’t mean they don’t have any use, but if someone chides to be close minded about them I doubt they will miss anything,

[quote]jakjak824 wrote:
Kettle bells are Gay…[/quote]

Uhhh, no…blowing another guy is gay. Kettlebells might just not be the best thing for powerlifting gpp in your opinion. Kinda different.

I really like this artice, I think Nate is a good writer and he gives a pretty good unbiased opinion from his experiment with kettlebells.

That said the only thing I have personally done with kettlebells are some kettlebell swings, they didn’t do it for me, but maybe they were too light.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:

I really like this artice, I think Nate is a good writer and he gives a pretty good unbiased opinion from his experiment with kettlebells.

That said the only thing I have personally done with kettlebells are some kettlebell swings, they didn’t do it for me, but maybe they were too light.[/quote]

I think you’re on to something with them being too light. I’ve had decent results with double KB swings (62’s) for 3-4 sets of 15-20 with 30-40 sec. rest between sets. These provide a conditioning effect due to the short rest periods, but also leave me sore in the upper back, hamstrings, and glutes. I use these as my primary assistance work for the SQ and DL (along with some front SQ and abs) and those lifts are moving in the right direction right now. I don’t know they are better than other assistance work such as GHR’s, back raises, GM’s, reverse hypers, etc…, but they seem to be at least effective enough to justify trying if you have access to KB’s. I think the key for powerlifters is to actually do the KB stuff with enough weight to yield results.

There’s a big difference in how people swing them that haven’t been trained and those who have. Pavel did a free seminar at Westside back in 06 or 07 and he showed us how to do the various exercises. A simple 35 lb kettlebell can really gas you with a set of swings, done correctly. Most are just swinging, not explosively popping the bell up.

When you do this the KB should end up about shoulder height and you should be stomping the floor sort of. Kind of like an explosive high pull or clean. He had everyone, including Wendler, etc. using 35s at first. If 700+ lb deadlifters could get work initially with the 35s, I’m sure most here could.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
There’s a big difference in how people swing them that haven’t been trained and those who have. Pavel did a free seminar at Westside back in 06 or 07 and he showed us how to do the various exercises. A simple 35 lb kettlebell can really gas you with a set of swings, done correctly. Most are just swinging, not explosively popping the bell up.

When you do this the KB should end up about shoulder height and you should be stomping the floor sort of. Kind of like an explosive high pull or clean. He had everyone, including Wendler, etc. using 35s at first. If 700+ lb deadlifters could get work initially with the 35s, I’m sure most here could.[/quote]

I think doing them correctly makes them easier. Or at least they feel better.

Still, once you get the technique down you’re going to need a decent amount of resistance to get much of a strength carryover.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

When you do this the KB should end up about shoulder height and you should be stomping the floor sort of. Kind of like an explosive high pull or clean. He had everyone, including Wendler, etc. using 35s at first. If 700+ lb deadlifters could get work initially with the 35s, I’m sure most here could.[/quote]

I think doing them correctly makes them easier. Or at least they feel better.

Still, once you get the technique down you’re going to need a decent amount of resistance to get much of a strength carryover.[/quote]

You will for sure. I have 35, 53, 70, and 88 lb kettlebells. I really don’
t use them much but I would do explosive swings with 53 now and I’m right at around a 600 deadlift. Other exercises like presses are out for me due to a torn labrum.

It’s why I don’t use them much.

just tap max shank in to you tube there you will see a guy 22 yr old no benchshirt no supersuit no wraps and no steriods and under 80kilo body wht . strong as hell like he says then tell him hes gay and kettle bells are no good allso look at is other stuff stone lifting zurcher squats power cleans ect…the guys a fucking animal.

Obviously KBs aren’t going to move your powerlifts alone, atleast not beyond a certain point… but I guess there are prehab/rehab stuff you can use them for… which might keep your body healthier and able to train the powerlifts more.

I like swings as warmup/glute activation for squats and deadlifts. Swings also seem to be a good exercise progression/hip strengthening movement for really weak beginners trying to get into DLs and squats.

as far as building strength with them, i dont think they are very valuable. but they are great for conditioning and recovery. nothing loosens up my hips after a long squat session like taking a 50-60 lb kettlebell and performing 100 swings. i do 5 sets of 20 with 15-30 sec rest in between. it improves your cardiovascular endurance and my hips feel great after.

I have a few powerlifters and athletes training at my gym that use kettlebells primarily for assistance and conditioning/GPP.

The powerlifters like to do 2-5 minute sets at the end of their training sessions for conditioning. Favorite lifts are:

after squat/deadlift days: cleans, clean & jerks, jerks, snatches, swings

after bench days: presses, clean & press, cleans, snatches

Usually these are done with 1-kettlebell, they usually switch hands on the minute or after so many reps. I have a 114 / 123 class lifter who pulls sumo and really likes double kb swings for his hips and low back.

We have a couple guys who really like using kb’s for extensions on bench days, both regular extensions and extensions where the kb’s pause on the ground.

Ultimately, and I am a big kb proponent, kb’s make up about 5-15% of the programs for pl’ers and athletes at my gym. A great tool that supplements the barbell work. They certainly aren’t a necessity, but used properly they have been a great benefit.

-Scott

Lying Kettlebell Extensions are my favorite static-overcome-by-dynamic supplement lift on my max effort bench days. Each rep begins with the kettlebells at a dead stop on the floor.

Scott, my last set two weeks ago was w/ the gray pair (36kgs)… i remember back when i couldn’t use anything higher than the 16kgs.

On the squat day of my 5/3/1 routine instead of doing 20 mins CV and hamstring curls, I do 5 sets of 15-20 Kettle-bell swings with a 20kg KB, about 45LB and depending how I feel, 2 of those sets may be raised to the 25KG Kettle bell. This works the hamstrings much better than leg curls, it works the lungs grip and entire posterior chain.

I like 5/3/1 because it allows you the variety to work things like this in. I’m really happy that I’ve found a productive way of including what I think is a very valuable exercise into my weekly routine.

I have KBs and I love 'em. I use them on GPP days for swings and sumo high pulls. Done right, you can definitely get them working in all the right areas.

If you do them the way most do, then yeah. It’s like this little useless “pop” of strength, but activate the hips and I guarantee even a 1pood KB will fry you.