Kettlebells and Tattoo Sleeves

Remembered another one:
I had one girl with a great resume I wanted to hire who had a small star above her thumb and admitted to having a butterfly behind her ear but hidden by her hair.

She said she really wanted the job and had a great attitude. I told her to come in for a final interview that afternoon with my business partner which would basically be a rubber stamp for her being appointed. One condition, that if hired she agrees to have the star removed by her 6 week evaluation. She reluctantly shook on it.

Comes back 30 mins later in tears, tells me she can’t do it -I’m a patriarchal asshole, doesn’t like being ‘judged on her body’, all her friends think she looks professional, its whats on the inside yada yada.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Remembered another one:
I had one girl with a great resume I wanted to hire who had a small star above her thumb and admitted to having a butterfly behind her ear but hidden by her hair.

She said she really wanted the job and had a great attitude. I told her to come in for a final interview that afternoon with my business partner which would basically be a rubber stamp for her being appointed. One condition, that if hired she agrees to have the star removed by her 6 week evaluation. She reluctantly shook on it.

Comes back 30 mins later in tears, tells me she can’t do it -I’m a patriarchal asshole, doesn’t like being ‘judged on her body’, all her friends think she looks professional, its whats on the inside yada yada. [/quote]

Ahh, another predcious snowflake soon to melt upon the sidewalk of life.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
Women who get loads of tatts and scream about not judging them usually become confused about why they dont get hired for good jobs.

Slut tattoos are just…urgh. You could make a day trip to the mall and spot how many assistants/managers have them.[/quote]

I do a lot of interviewing. People with stupid tatts make my life very easy.

A young male will walk in for an entry level job, with a neck tattoo peaking out of his shirt. His pants being halfway down his ass is usually a bonus.

I will look up and say you aren’t qualified to work here. He’ll say why. I tell him that neck tattoos are against policy and also you can’t even meet the basic of business dress on your interview. He said I didn’t understand today’s youth. No, I understand just fine young man, you don’t understand today’s job market. Goodbye.

[/quote]
Is that you in your avatar? Just curious.
When I owned a business, I felt the same way when kids would have tongue spike and couldn’t enunciate.

lol

1. Called you a sexist
  2. Cried
  3. Confirmed approval from her obviously superior peer group

Oh god, hilarious, just so perfect. Was she in her early to mid 20s?

Why do people get so upset over covering their tattoos??? I’ve got one on my inner right bicep, and wasn’t at all surprised or offended when i had to cover it up when i was volunteering with children.

Hey, if you want to work at a good job, you have to play the game. I have a corporate job and deal with foreign nationals, all sorts of people up the food chain, customers, vendors and I’m heavily inked. All of mine can easily be covered up when I’m at work. Any new ink, I even bring a dress shirt with me to the appointment so I know it won’t be showing.

My son had a restaurant job a couple of years back, written policy, no visible tattoos. So he wore long sleeved shirts.

Rob

When I worked for the Government, nobody gave a flying fuck about tattoos now that I work in private Industry I was told to wear long sleeves shirts. Not a big deal really, I generally still wear short sleeve polos unless at a meeting.

[quote]Loolu wrote:
Why do people get so upset over covering their tattoos??? I’ve got one on my inner right bicep, and wasn’t at all surprised or offended when i had to cover it up when i was volunteering with children. [/quote]

Does it say free candy in chinese?

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
Women who get loads of tatts and scream about not judging them usually become confused about why they dont get hired for good jobs.

Slut tattoos are just…urgh. You could make a day trip to the mall and spot how many assistants/managers have them.[/quote]

I do a lot of interviewing. People with stupid tatts make my life very easy.

A young male will walk in for an entry level job, with a neck tattoo peaking out of his shirt. His pants being halfway down his ass is usually a bonus.

I will look up and say you aren’t qualified to work here. He’ll say why. I tell him that neck tattoos are against policy and also you can’t even meet the basic of business dress on your interview. He said I didn’t understand today’s youth. No, I understand just fine young man, you don’t understand today’s job market. Goodbye.
[/quote]
I have too really good friends that have tattoos all over there arms and chest which are visible if they have a t-shirt on. Basically if they don’t have a long sleeve dress shirt on with all the buttons done up you can see the ink.

If they see a job they might want they first have to find the company policy’s online and see if they even qualify. If it’s not online they have to call and ask and if its a small company that means there first point of contact is a tattoo question. I just don’t understand why people would pay someone to make them non-hire-able.

I mean seriously, I like cigars and drinking beer but I don’t show up to interviews inebriated and smelling like a smoke shop.

[quote]JLone wrote:
If your worried about abrasions on your forearms then get a pair of sleeves. They have products for everything now. Some sleeves protect the arm some compress it, etc.

If your worried about your forearms getting so huge people are staring at your large veiny arms instead of that mural of Chinese letters covering them you need to be realistic. Most tattoos need touch up work no matter where they are on the body. Basically the farther the tattoo is away from your core the more it needs touched up. Unless of course you are one of those dumb-asses that gets wicked sun burns over ink. [/quote]

I just got back from my touch up appointment from work I had done three months ago. I mentioned to my artist your comment about tattoos being farther away from the core you need to touch up more. He has never heard of that before. He didn’t blow it off just said it was a new one to him.

Overcompensating for something? Good luck you’ll look just like Aaron Hernandez

[quote]TRexMoney wrote:
Overcompensating for something? Good luck you’ll look just like Aaron Hernandez[/quote]

Huh?

Remembered another one:

Comes back 30 mins later in tears, tells me she can’t do it -I’m a patriarchal asshole, doesn’t like being ‘judged on her body’, all her friends think she looks professional, its whats on the inside yada yada. [/quote]

Couldn’t she just cover it up with makeup? I’m considering a tattooed wedding band in the next few years, what’s the professional opinion of that?

Remembered another one:

30 minutes?

That was definitely a friend of hers who is a feminist/anti patriarchy woman telling her to say those things. Aren’t female friends great at sabotaging their besties job chances?

Your should have informed her that the people who are paying the salaries make the decisions, not her friends. And kicked her out.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[quote]TRexMoney wrote:
Overcompensating for something? Good luck you’ll look just like Aaron Hernandez[/quote]

Huh?
[/quote]

Aaron Hernandez, maitre d’ at Canal Bar?

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:

Remembered another one:

Couldn’t she just cover it up with makeup? I’m considering a tattooed wedding band in the next few years, what’s the professional opinion of that?
[/quote]

DON’T DO IT…

As for tattoos in the office. I have a lot of tattooed areas and I have always done with the idea that they must be covered by a dress shirt(I work in the legal field). At my current office no one even knows I have them. At this point it would be a none issue if they did, but I believe tattoos look unprofessional and I would prefer to put on a different look while in the office.

Anyone that gets work done on hands/face/neck is not thinking about their future. Those are usually referred to by many tattoo artists as career enders.

Just my .02

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
[/quote]
I wouldn’t do it if you work in a professional setting.

The only person I know that has one is an outdoor photographer.

At a doctors office I worked at all that was required was covering them with bandages and such. So all the girls were covering up their stars behind their ear and tattoos on their wrists, fingers, ankles, etc. A short sleeve shirt and pants generally covers mine but they sometimes slip out the sleeve due to being down to about my elbow. That’s the farthest I’ll go with them…

I always went by the, “If you can see it with this on, it’s a no.”

I can see the longsleeve working out as well. Neck, hand, etc… tats aren’t smart for white collar folks.