Kettlebell Workout and Lifting?

I’m on a M/W/F lifting split and would like to incorporate a Kettlebell workout(s) during the week. Should I do them after my weight workout? Earlier in the day? On a day off from lifting or does it not really matter at all? The Kettlebell workout would only be about ten minutes until I build up my stamina. Thanks for the help.

It depends on you. What are your goals? Will you be eating enough to recover? If you’re doing them in addition to your workouts, then do them at a time/day that won’t interfere with the quality of your workouts. So on an off day, or after your workouts.

have you experience in kettlebell lifting?

Admittedly no, but they’re just strangely shaped dumbbells as far as I’m concerned. There’s nothing particularly special about them.

[quote]cobrakai wrote:
I’m on a M/W/F lifting split and would like to incorporate a Kettlebell workout(s) during the week. Should I do them after my weight workout? Earlier in the day? On a day off from lifting or does it not really matter at all? The Kettlebell workout would only be about ten minutes until I build up my stamina. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

I’m not really sure what you’re asking. It’s kinda like saying “I want to have a barbell workout. When should I do it?”

What are you using the kettlebells for: Strength? Size? Fat loss? Endurance?

It sounds like you’re aiming fat loss, in which case, 10 minutes right after your main workout will be fine. One-arm swings would be a killer start.

Have you done any kettlebell lifting before?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Admittedly no, but they’re just strangely shaped dumbbells as far as I’m concerned. There’s nothing particularly special about them.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure alit4 was talking to the OP, but in any case, you’re wrong on the first part and wrong on the second. While kettlebells are just another tool to suit the lifter’s needs, they are an animal unto themselves and do play by a different set of rules compared to dumbbells.

Grip, shoulder stabilizers, and total body awareness/coordination are brought into play moreso than with traditional free weights. If you grab a kettlebell and expect to use it the exact same way you’d use a dumbbell, there’s a good chance you’ll get hurt.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
cobrakai wrote:
I’m on a M/W/F lifting split and would like to incorporate a Kettlebell workout(s) during the week. Should I do them after my weight workout? Earlier in the day? On a day off from lifting or does it not really matter at all? The Kettlebell workout would only be about ten minutes until I build up my stamina. Thanks for the help.

I’m not really sure what you’re asking. It’s kinda like saying “I want to have a barbell workout. When should I do it?”

What are you using the kettlebells for: Strength? Size? Fat loss? Endurance?

It sounds like you’re aiming fat loss, in which case, 10 minutes right after your main workout will be fine. One-arm swings would be a killer start.

Have you done any kettlebell lifting before?

chimera182 wrote:
Admittedly no, but they’re just strangely shaped dumbbells as far as I’m concerned. There’s nothing particularly special about them.

I’m pretty sure alit4 was talking to the OP, but in any case, you’re wrong on the first part and wrong on the second. While kettlebells are just another tool to suit the lifter’s needs, they are an animal unto themselves and do play by a different set of rules compared to dumbbells.

Grip, shoulder stabilizers, and total body awareness/coordination are brought into play moreso than with traditional free weights. If you grab a kettlebell and expect to use it the exact same way you’d use a dumbbell, there’s a good chance you’ll get hurt.[/quote]

I understand the mechanics are different, and if I came off the wrong way my mistake. I meant that you should treat simply treat them as workout with regards to how the OP should schedule them. You recover from them, need rest, etc…

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I understand the mechanics are different, and if I came off the wrong way my mistake. I meant that you should treat simply treat them as workout with regards to how the OP should schedule them. You recover from them, need rest, etc…[/quote]

Ah-ha, I gotcha. I agree with that, then.