T Nation

kettlebell training

Does anyone on this forum train with kettlebells? That has to be the single most brutal training ever devised. I recently did my first kettlebell workout. Actually, I only did 4 sets of kettlebell swings into cleans. The first 3 sets I did 10 reps the last set I did 20 reps. I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest and I’m in good shape. Not only that my lower back and hamstrings were pumped and burning like a lit match.

Need to increase your deadlift? Use kettlebells.

I have used kettlebell training in the past. I haven’t done it in quite a while, but I will be incorporating it into my workouts soon. Yes, it is quite brutal, but it’s a great way to get a good workout especially if you are short on time. I actually felt very good after a few weeks of snatches, cleans and presses along with a variety of other kettlebell movements. And my conditioning went through the roof!

The type of conditioning you get from kettlebell training is very sport specific. I compare it to all out fighting or grappling. I do kettlebell training at least once a week and sometimes as much as 3 times per week. I find that I can a lot more sets in during a normal workout due to the improvement in anaerobic conditioning.