Kettlebell Training Thread

Form is way off.

Put your arms out in front of you. Drop your hips back like you are sitting in a chair. Your knees should not bend like a squat, but should follow in line. You should feel it in your hamstrings

When you swing explode with your hips. The bell height is not from lifting with your shoulders, but by the thrust of the hips.

If you use, Youtube, Pat Flynn’s Chronicles of Strength site, Mike Mahler, or StrongFirst. Look up the way they do the swing.

[quote]BCFlynn wrote:
Trying to get used to using an 88
One arm row 3 x5, L, R
Racked Front squat 3 x 3, L, R Need to stay tight to keep bell in rack
Push Press 5 x 1L, 1R
Turkish Getup 5L, 5R
15 minutes of two hand swings, 15 reps per set[/quote]

The 88 has been a real game-changer for me. I feel a lot stronger and better conditioned now than I did when I got my 88 (December, I think). It took awhile to really feel like I could handle it - for the first few workouts it really tossed me around sometimes - but now I’m starting to feel like I own the thing.

I’ve been using it for 3 weeks, 3 x a week, progressing 1 rep each week.
Rows x 8
Presses 8 sets x 1
Squats x 6
TGU 8 each side
300 swings.

Feels like almost a toy with the swings. Rows, easy, been staying tight on the squats. Feel my push presses have been MUCH stronger, almost to the point of trying a strict press. TGU’s, always feel tough.

But you’re right it is feeling easier

I got my 88 about 3 weeks ago. I’ve mostly been doing one handed swings and get ups with it, ala the Simple and Sinister program. It’s pretty interesting how making a big jump in weight shows you a lot of things about your form and strength gaps (for instance, I really noticed my right lat does not contract quite as naturally as my left).

I’m nowhere close to pressing it like you guys are, but that will come. I know it will be a long, fun adventure with this bell.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting into kettlebell workouts. What weight should I start out with? I OHP 165 and DL 400+ for reference. I understand the lighter weights are still humbling but I don’t want to start too light considering the cost of each one and they aren’t adjustable. Should I start out working with one kettlebell or two?

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting into kettlebell workouts. What weight should I start out with? I OHP 165 and DL 400+ for reference. I understand the lighter weights are still humbling but I don’t want to start too light considering the cost of each one and they aren’t adjustable. Should I start out working with one kettlebell or two?[/quote]

I think there is a lot of variation in what people recommend for getting into kettlebells. These are just my thoughts.

Start with a 24kg (53 pound) bell. Get used to the technique involved with the swing, clean, press, snatch, get up or whatever other lifts you want to do. Then add a 32kg (70 pound) bell to your collection, and perhaps after that a 40kg (88 pounder). Most people could spend years with just those three bells.

As for doubles, I think it depends on your goals. But most people seem to recommend getting pretty proficient with one bell before adding double bells to your workout.

Oh, and there are a lot of bells out there, some super cheap and some super expensive. I’ve been pretty happy with my Wright and Rogue kettlebells. Both companies offer a good product and are fairly economical (compared to other brands).

Let us know how it goes if you get some.

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting into kettlebell workouts. What weight should I start out with? I OHP 165 and DL 400+ for reference. I understand the lighter weights are still humbling but I don’t want to start too light considering the cost of each one and they aren’t adjustable. Should I start out working with one kettlebell or two?[/quote]

I think there is a lot of variation in what people recommend for getting into kettlebells. These are just my thoughts.

Start with a 24kg (53 pound) bell. Get used to the technique involved with the swing, clean, press, snatch, get up or whatever other lifts you want to do. Then add a 32kg (70 pound) bell to your collection, and perhaps after that a 40kg (88 pounder). Most people could spend years with just those three bells.

As for doubles, I think it depends on your goals. But most people seem to recommend getting pretty proficient with one bell before adding double bells to your workout.

Oh, and there are a lot of bells out there, some super cheap and some super expensive. I’ve been pretty happy with my Wright and Rogue kettlebells. Both companies offer a good product and are fairly economical (compared to other brands).

Let us know how it goes if you get some.[/quote]

x2 on all of this

What organization are you referring to for the kettlebell competitions? Since I’ve decided to training at home (or a park), I’m going to focus on a lot more on kettlebell strength movements and bodyweight exercises (with weighted vest as necessary). thanks.

At that time I was looking into the American Kettlebell Alliance (AKA) since they had a couple of events that came within a couple hours drive of where I live. They have a more traditional approach to Kettlebell Sport such as only 1 hand switch on Snatches, no putting the kettlebell on the ground on any events. There are some other Feds out there that have different events you can compete in other than just Long Cycle or Biathlon. May have to google some different feds and find one that you may enjoy competing in. I have lost my desire to compete over time but I still enjoy kettlebell lifting a lot!!

1 Like

Update: Did 10,000 swings in 10 days. Used a 55, a 62, a 70 and an 88. Boring yes, but it works. I lost weight and ate like an absolute horse. You really notice it in your shoulders and arms. 1000 swings a day is not as daunting as it seems. Should only take an an hour, 1:15 tops.

I noticed my grip got a lot stronger. Sets of 50 with a 70 were challenging but not widow makers.

No soreness, as I’ve stayed in condition. Highly recommend trying it if your forum is locked in.

2 Likes