T Nation

Kettlebell Training for Strength

Hi! I am a guy that just started kettlebell training for strength. Before that, i trained with barbell.

Best stats at height 188cm+ 92kg:
BSQ 150kg
FSQ 100kg
BP 110kg
DL 190kg
P 70kg
Chinup with 32kg

Borred with BB.
i have 2x 16kg; 24kg; 32kg kettlebells, need advice and program to follow for improve my strength and size.

Look through activitiesguy’s training log:

Found what i need, thank you.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Look through activitiesguy’s training log:

[/quote]

I am flattered that my name even came up, but I think OP can find better sources than me for an example d how to train for strength with KB’s!

OP: you might peruse my training log, as well as furo, jblues85, and BCFlynn as the guys (off the too of my head) who do a lot of KB work.

A few words on what I do:

• I really like “volume accumulation” techniques like rep ladders, which allow you to pile on a lot of volume without feeling too taxed. Something like 1 push-up, 10 swings, 2 push-ups, 10 swings, etc…before you know it you’ve done a few hundred swings and a decent number of push-ups as well.

• if all else fails, a short session of 10x10 heavy KB swings and a few clean and presses with your heaviest kettlebell can be done in about 15 minutes and seems to work the entire body.

• I think gaining proficiency in the basic movements - swing, squat, clean, and press - is all that one MUST do for an effective KB training program. However, if you are able to learn the snatch, it will add an extra dimension to your training. Nothing gets me wired up like a few sets of high-rep KB snatches.

• since you have pairs of KB, you should become proficient in the long cycle (double KB clean and press). That plus some front squats could also be a very effective simple workout.

[quote]Tynas wrote:
Hi! I am a guy that just started kettlebell training for strength. Before that, i trained with barbell.

Best stats at height 188cm+ 92kg:
BSQ 150kg
FSQ 100kg
BP 110kg
DL 190kg
P 70kg
Chinup with 32kg

Borred with BB.
i have 2x 16kg; 24kg; 32kg kettlebells, need advice and program to follow for improve my strength and size.

[/quote]

Um. I’m going to try to say this as nicely as I can, but the bells won’t get you stronger than you are are now. They sure as hell won’t make you lose strength, they will very probably help improve your mobility and your conditioning will improve drastically. Your explosiveness should improve too, which isn’t going to hurt anything and your legs may very well grow a bit but I’d be shocked if you get stronger.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on kettlebells at all. I trained exclusively with them for about three years, from RKC style stuff to girevoy sport. They’re a great tool, and if you’re just bored with the barbell they will be a cool way to train that won’t cost you strength, but you are unlikely to get stronger without still hitting the barbell reasonably regularly.

For the record, we’re very similar in height and weight. Our bench and press are well nigh identical, and your squat and DL are just about where mine were when I stopped kettlebell training (which was where they’d been the whole time I was kettlebell training too). Obviously, height and weight aren’t the best comparators, and I’ll be honest and admit I’ve had much better success in terms of gaining muscle and dropping fat when I moved to powerlifting (with minimal dietary change) than any kind of kettlebell training but the same may not apply to you.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is you might be better served in your goal by doing mostly kettlebell training with barbell training once a week, something like working up to a heavy triple or two in the big three and slowly increasing the weight as you go, perhaps along the lines of 2.5 kg per fortnight.

Just something to think about.

I agree with MarkkO. You should still do some barbell lifting as well, if you’re aiming to get stronger.

I have former experience with KB’s and some years of strength based lifting as well. I’m not strong or experienced (my numbers are slightly above yours), but I know many notable lifters who embrace of using them together.

I’m using KB’s (or sometimes BB complexes due to limitations) with heavy lifting right now. I use KB as assistance and conditioning and hit the heavy weights at the gym. This is what KB’s should be used IMO - reps and conditioning. They’re too light for generating overall strength gains (maybe some OH pressing-, shoulder- and “core” strength could be improved for a long time with kb’s)

[quote]Rattus wrote:
I’m using KB’s (or sometimes BB complexes due to limitations) with heavy lifting right now. I use KB as assistance and conditioning and hit the heavy weights at the gym. This is what KB’s should be used IMO - reps and conditioning. They’re too light for generating overall strength gains (maybe some OH pressing-, shoulder- and “core” strength could be improved for a long time with kb’s)[/quote]

Yep, pressing a bell is hugely different to pressing a bar or a dumbbell. I’d say in terms of difficulty pressing a bell is between the two, especially when you have a good insertion.

Look, to be completely honest I think kbs are best used solely for girevoy sport, which is a whole world itself. Apart from that they’re good for the power swing and some presses, but just based on my experience their use for those is as you said, purely assistance work.

I think if I was going to pick one movement to do a ton of with kbs it would be the long cycle clean and press using the girevoy sport clean and rack position. It’ll take a while to get your technique right, but I could probably help you find a good coach to help with that as I know a bunch of them in the states from when I competed in the sport.

Once your technique is ok you can really go to town in using it as a mainstay of your training. If you get to the point where you can complete 30 reps in five minutes with two 24s you’ll be in great condition compared to where you are now with probably stronger and more stable shoulders.

Combine that with barbell work and your results will be very good indeed.