Kettlebell Swings as Winter Alternative to Jumps and Throws?

I train in my basement and the outdoors are currently covered in ice and snow. Could kettlebell swings make for a suitable winter alternative ? If so, should I aim for a specific percentage of body weight?

I train in my basement too and don’t have a problem with vertical jumps, broad jumps, and throwing a med ball against the concrete wall. Are these not options for you as well?

No, they aren’t.

Definitely couldn’t do vertical jumps in my basement.

Broad jumps and some throws work though.

1 Like

what is your goal? i guess kettle bell swings first and foremost will make you better at kettle bell swings, but i take that that isn’t your goal.

1 Like

I didn’t really reply to this, but yeah, I think they’d work fine. I’ve seen plently of templates where he uses them.

I wouldn’t worry about a specific weight, just don’t be using 5lbs or something. Isn’t it like 56lbs that most people recommend guys can use or something? Just make sure you’re doing a proper hip hinge, exploding the KB up, and not hurting your lower back.

1 Like

To be fair, I have to make sure my head goes between the floor joists when I do vertical jumps or I’ll suffer.

1 Like

To get a similar effect to jumps and throws(activation) it would be better to do isometrics than kettlebell swings. Push against a wall and drive your feet into the ground (like a football player blocking) as hard as you can for a few seconds. Rest for a minute and repeat it a few more times. It will activate your muscles just like jumps and throws do.

Any literature that discusses this? Not doubting you, but I haven’t heard much about this. Would be interested to learn more.

1 Like

Standing long jumps?

1 Like

Thank you for the replies guys. I was doing jumps and throws outdoors, but most of the place is covered in snow, and what isn’t is covered in ice, and the winters are long here. I don’t have the room in my basement to jump and throw. I lift 3 days a week to just be a better person ad maybe to help with bjj. I’m just looking for a reasonable sub for the winter months. I thought perhaps kettlebell swings would sort of be a bit explosive and more or less mimic a jump and a throw- ish and for 5 or so months of the year be a replacement exercise.

1 Like

i guess kb swings could make you a better person, in particular in the sense of cardiavascular ability and body composition. however, less bang for the buck than dead lifts and high pulls for bjj imo, because those exercises let you deal with weights similar to the weight of an antagonist body. especially high pulls will train explosive power and yet the high pull is gentle on the joints.

1 Like