Kettlebell Substitutes?

Is there anything that could possibly be used as a substitute for a kettlebell? I’ve recently come across the actual workout they used for getting the spartans in shape for the movie the 300 and a kettlebell is required for it. I’m anxious to try it but as I have no kettlebell this may prove difficult

here’s the website

if that doesn’t work go to menshealth.com
find the fitness section and go to articles and almost at the bottom of the page you should find a link for it.

You don’t need a kettlebell for that routine. Because they list it doesn’t mean you can’t use a dumbell. If you’re hell bent on a kb, try kettlebell handles. Or, get a small to medium sized duffle bag, fill it with sand, and have a go with that but make sure your nails are clipped very close.

Dumbbells work fine.

The 300 workout may not work for you like it worked like the actors. Just remember that when you embark on the program.

[quote]lil_diesel90 wrote:
Is there anything that could possibly be used as a substitute for a kettlebell? [/quote]

Yeah, REAL WEIGHTS.

I just don’t get the kettleball fad.

I don’t see anything evil about kettlebells. I’ve checked them out at the place I get a lot of my stuff, but I don’t really get it either. I just couldn’t come up with a compelling reason why dumbbells aren’t just about the same thing. If you MUST use kettlebells get a plate loaded handle for about 30-40 bucks apiece.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
lil_diesel90 wrote:
Is there anything that could possibly be used as a substitute for a kettlebell?

Yeah, REAL WEIGHTS.

I just don’t get the kettleball fad.[/quote]

I don’t get it either-probably because the same people that use it are total body users.

I know it wasn’t that routine alone that sculpted the cast for 300. They did alot of cardio, and many other things including (god forbid) hanging on the gymnastis rings to build resistance and endurance.

The guys in 300 trained extremely hard, ate a very limited and strict diet, and devoted greats amounts of time and energy to their conditioning. Kettlebells or the magic 300 workout everyone is talking about on here are not going to be the magic pill to get you jacked. Im certain that if you trained and ate with as much dedication as those guys did using any program listed on this website, you would see similar results.

If youre really interested in what those guys did for 300, go to www.gymjones.com. Thats the facility they trained at. I believe Dan John is a member there.

I dont remember who said it, but one of the authors once stated that “equipment is not a training philosophy.” kettlebells are a tool, but not the only means to an end.

The technique those Gym Jones guys use for Olympic lifts is horrible! Go to their website and see…

This whole recent Crossfit-300-Gym Jones circuit training crap doesn’t make any sense to me. The actors in 300 do look awesome. The don’t look like the rest of the people training on the Gym Jones and Crossfit websites. But none of them are big name actors. I’m betting the people chosen for 300 were already pretty jacked to begin with.

The Gym Jones site champions itself as an elitist gym that doesn’t have time for helping people make physical transformations and doesn’t see any point in putting twenty pounds of muscle on an athelete. Because of this…they suck. The people with the best training programs or training philosophies are capable of transforming athletes. Joe Defranco, Chris Shugart, Christian Thibaudeau, and TC come to mind.

Just take a look at most of the people working out with this sort of ultra-high rep circuit training crap. They all end up with the slim, efficient, marathon/triathlon body type but what kind of a result is that if most of your exercise is done IN A GYM!

Skinny endurance athletes most likely don’t want anything to do with these circuit-training types because they lack endurance and Type-IIB muscle fibers. And the weight-lifting and bodybuilding world doesn’t want anything to do with a buncha people whose claim to fame is reaching bodyweight numbers in compound lifts.

Most of the guys who played spartans in 300 were stuntmen already, so they make their living being athletic. Chances are most of them were already in damn good shape.

Kettlebell exercises are no more effective than any other exercise when taken out of context. Add in a solid program, hard work, a solid diet, and adequate rest and then you will see results.

I dont buy the hype.

The fact that no one at gym jones or crossfit look like the actors in 300 should give you a clue. Those guys were pretty big and athletic before starting that “spartan training”. There are so many good articles on here that will get you there, plus you won’t need those overhyped overpriced KB’s.

While I’m whining about stuff that’s been mildly aggravating me, here’s another one.

Where did the belief get started that training like someone will give you their physique? Their physique is THEIR physique. Using their methods will, at best, get you a better version of YOUR physique.

IT,s true that just about ANY remotely sound routine, worked hard, will produce some results for just about anybody. It may even be a fact that just about any remotely sound routine, WORKED HARD, will produce decent results for most people.

It is, however, absolutely untrue that because somebody else got excellent results with something that you will too.

Look guys, there are hundreds of variations on everything. If you spend your life trying whatever the last impressive looking guy you saw does you will one day find yourself past your prime with half ass results, fumbling around wondering what went wrong and no philosophy of your own.

the 300 workout was just a challenge. They did Crossfit type workouts every day(multiple times?) to get in shape. Also, keep in mind that they were not that big, aside from Gerard Butler, and that is because he was doing bodybuilding workouts on the side. They are all ripped to shreds, but sorta small ( I wouldn’t mind looking like one of them though)

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
While I’m whining about stuff that’s been mildly aggravating me, here’s another one.

Where did the belief get started that training like someone will give you their physique? Their physique is THEIR physique. Using their methods will, at best, get you a better version of YOUR physique.

IT,s true that just about ANY remotely sound routine, worked hard, will produce some results for just about anybody. It may even be a fact that just about any remotely sound routine, WORKED HARD, will produce decent results for most people.

It is, however, absolutely untrue that because somebody else got excellent results with something that you will too.

Look guys, there are hundreds of variations on everything. If you spend your life trying whatever the last impressive looking guy you saw does you will one day find yourself past your prime with half ass results, fumbling around wondering what went wrong and no philosophy of your own.[/quote]

That belief has been around since people started training. Add to that, Weider mags from the past with front cover blurbs saying build bicep peaks like Robby Robinson or how to have upper pecs like Franco. It’s voodoo that people want to believe. I know did when I first started training as a kid and didn’t have anyone to tell me different.

I like kettlebells as a conditioning tool. I’m a low rep guy basically. If I have to add reps to an exercise I will first add weight. With kettlebells it isn’t really possible to add weight so it has to be reps or buy a new one and I won’t do that when more reps will suffice. Besides that, they are fun to throw.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Dumbbells work fine.

The 300 workout may not work for you like it worked like the actors. Just remember that when you embark on the program.[/quote]

Loop a rope around the dumbbell. Check out the flash video in this article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1116219