Kettlebell Question

what do u guys think of kettlebell training? i am thinking of adding some kettlebell training in the morning…like a couple of rounds of kelltlebell swings.

also, regarding cardio workout, is it true that kb training is more beneficial than a treadmill? i mean, the heart doesn’t know if u r running on a treadmill or doing kb swings, right?

“Kettlebell” sounds more like something you’d call your sweetheart than a defective barbell. Isn’t that bad for your wrists, lol? I’m sorry, I’m new to them.

And kettlebell swings? I think your heart knows the difference between running and lifting. You still need to do your cardio unless you’re going to do a dance routine with them.

Why are you guys so against cardio in here? Can’t you just eat more? More antioxidants? I just don’t get it. Please give me 7000 calories to play with! I’d be healthier than…a newborn.

Lol, I would rather do less cardio than have to eat ANOTHER 1000 calories EVREY day.
It gets tiresome when you dont have a large supply of suppliments/powders. Anyway, I DO do cardio, it’s just I only do it when I have to lol (high school). I’m in the athletics team doing sprints, middle distance and jumps. I find it hard enough to gain weight as it is.

Your heart can’t differentiate between cardio and weight lifting, all it knows is the amount of effort your body is demanding from it.

I see kettlebells as another training tool (although I’ve never used them), they just seem like odd shaped dumbbells at double (or more) the cost. What’s wrong with doing dumbbell swings instead of kettlebell ones?

As far as the ‘is it true that kb training is more beneficial than a treadmill’ question… more beneficial for what? Assuming you mean improving your aerobic fitness level, it depends on the amount of effort you’re putting into each one.

[quote]chiquita wrote:
“Kettlebell” sounds more like something you’d call your sweetheart than a defective barbell. Isn’t that bad for your wrists, lol? I’m sorry, I’m new to them.

And kettlebell swings? I think your heart knows the difference between running and lifting. You still need to do your cardio unless you’re going to do a dance routine with them.

Why are you guys so against cardio in here? Can’t you just eat more? More antioxidants? I just don’t get it. Please give me 7000 calories to play with! I’d be healthier than…a newborn.
[/quote]

Do you have any evidence so back up your assertions about kettlebells being bad for your wrists or your heart ‘knowing’ the difference between running and kettlebells for cardio?

You sure have strong opinions for someone who has admitted to never trying them.

sounds like some of you guys should really try to work with kettlebells once. look up the kettlebell swing online and then perform it with the right weight. that thing is brutal…your heartrate goes up within seconds.

i am just asking about kb cause it would be a good alternative for me to do in the morning, at home, instead of going to the gym to use the treadmill.

lots of people prefer the kb cause they work the muscles in a different way…try it.

Technically, dumbbells are just defective kettlebells. That being said, although they are a bit more fun to use, they’re not going to give you some hidden massive cardio difference.

Kettlebells are great. The only way I can see them being bad for your wrists are if you do snatches and the kettlebell smacks into your forearm when it goes over the top. I’ve been doing swings and snatches with DBs since I don’t have access to kettlebells right now and it gets your heart rate soaring. Try them with 40 or 50 lbs and youll know what I’m talking about. I’ve been close to puking from doing sprints and bike intervals, but have dry heaved and almost passed out from swings and snatch intervals.

Kettlebells are one of the best total body training tools available. With proper technique and weight they can add a whole new dimension to your training program. Women can normally start with a 8kg bell then progress into a 12kg bell. I have seen some women snatch a 20kg wich was pretty impressive. Men can generally start with a 16k then progress into a 20kg, 24kg, or 32kg bell.

Start with basic 2 handed swings then progress into 1 handed swings, there are so many combos that you can do, the possibilities are endless. It will be tempting to want to start with a bell that’s too heavy but work until technical failure.

As for the cardio issue, I think the mindset is that kettlebells also drive heart-rate and build up total body endurance. They are great because it is similiar to interval work as a runner. For some, cardio is boring, here is a great way to drive heart rate and keep yourself from getting bored.

If you love to lift iron what would you rather do- plod away on a treadmill or use 20 mins to do a kettlebell olympic style lifting circuit which will ingrain lifting techinique and motor patterns to help you lift more successfully in your strength workouts?

Not only that the intensity and overall body conditioning that using a kettlebell will help you achieve is far better than that of standard cardio- it blurs the line between strength and cardio training so all those who truly love lifting will apreciate.

They are different to dumbells due to the uneven force distribution forcing far more stabilization during each lift.

If used correctly with proper instruction to begin with they will not hurt your wrist but over time will improve your grip strength and wrist power.
carpe ferrum- seize the iron