T Nation

Ketosis Advice for a Skinny Fat Guy

My stats:
5 10/ 203/ 25% body-fat (BIO Impedance)
Goal: 10% body-fat.

I practiced martial arts for most of my youth (10-19yrs old) (Before MMA was cool). I have no prior serious lifting experience. Im now 35 and, after battling epilepsy for ten years and finally having it under control, went from 270 lb’s to 212lbs in 2 years of killing myself with cardio. I was still around 30% body fat and ran into you guys last year. ( yeah, lucky you!).

I decided to drop carbs and go Keto for the remaining 30% ( admit being a little big scared of fats and oils at first). I did the three day Fat Fast ( 1000 calories, mostly fats) and it killed me… but I stuck with it and have since begun adding more food.

This is my first week on Ketosis and I feel good ( but a little constipated). My diet as of today:
A daily average (split over six meals) of:1600 calories
102-110g Fat
130-140g Protein
Mostly the good stuff. Bacon, eggs, meats, cheeses, spinach and veggies, and 2 scoops of GROW! before going to bed.

I am doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength in order to minimize wasting my puny muscles (dont laugh, I have a lot of work ahead of me!).

This week so far:
Workout A: Squat- 3x5 165 lbs (going all the way into the hole sucks ass!)
Bench 3x5 155 lbs
Deadlift 1x5 195lbs
Workout B:
Squat 3x5 170lbs
Push Press 3x5 185lbs (don’t know why but it is what it is)
power clean 3x5 95lbs (I’m still learning this lift)

Do you guys think I need to eat more meat? Are my calories too low for my goals? My weight is 203 as of 5 minutes ago (I don't weight myself every day but since im going to write this I might give you my weight as of right now., I'm surprised.) I want to reach 10% in order to have control over my body. I want a clean slate to work with. I find I'm enjoying lifting heavy stuff and want to get stronger and stronger.

If you’re feeling constipated add fibers, like ground flaxseed and eat LOTS of green vegs.

Your calories seem way too low, as I’m currently ~180lbs and I eat ~2500kcal and am losing weight…
Also you should maybe get a larger proportion of your daily kcals from fats.

e: your protein looks kinda low too.

e2: Get some BCAAs, they’ll help you keep whatever muscle you’ve got.

I think you’d do well to up your intake by about 50%. I also don’t think Starting Strength is such a good program for someone looking to lose weight. To make the most of the progression in SS, you gotta eat huge.

A good bodypart split would be good for your situation. Start with a heavy compound exercise (3-5 reps) and follow up with some isolation work in the 10-12 rep range.

Example:

Squat 5x5
Leg extension 5x10
Leg curl 5x10

Or:

Squat 5x5
Walking Lunges 3x10
Leg extensions 3x10
Leg curls 3x10

I’ve always heard it good to keep calories a little bit higher than what you might normally have, just to make the transition to the diet easier to handle… even when I was eating over 3000 calories, the diet had me feeling like I was drained of energy.

You need to make sure not to push yourself beyond the point of being able to recover from your workouts, especially when cutting calories, and especially when getting adjusted to a keto diet.

With such low calories, I can’t imagine you’re eating enough protein, let alone fat.

Also, your protein is way too low. Which makes your fat way too low as well. Try for 200grams of protein, and keep your fat intake around that as well. Remember, you aren’t striving for the same number of CALORIES from your protein and fat, but the same number of grams (so fat intake will be roughly twice what the protein is in grams.)

That is 200 grams of protein for a little over 800-900 calories (depends on if you use 4 or 4.5…) and 200 grams of fat for 1800 calories. A total of 2600-2700.

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
I’ve always heard it good to keep calories a little bit higher than what you might normally have, just to make the transition to the diet easier to handle… even when I was eating over 3000 calories, the diet had me feeling like I was drained of energy.[/quote]

I’ve had the same problem with energy, but that’s mainly been the first couple of days of a diet, or if it happens later on, it’s usually because of not eating enough fats.

e: I mean too little fats relative to the amount of protein…

Because your calories are so low, you will lose a lot of weight at first, but then your fat loss will stall as your body adapts to the low amount of calories. It will be hard to get out of this plateau because any more of a decrease in calories will just lead to your body breaking down muscle for energy. if you Increase your calories to about 10-13 times your bodyweight (in lbs) then if fat loss stalls, you can decrease the amount of calories you are consuming without risking losing muscle mass. you should be aiming for between 2-3 lbs of weight loss a week.

[quote]christy_moen wrote:
Because your calories are so low, you will lose a lot of weight at first, but then your fat loss will stall as your body adapts to the low amount of calories. It will be hard to get out of this plateau because any more of a decrease in calories will just lead to your body breaking down muscle for energy. if you Increase your calories to about 10-13 times your bodyweight (in lbs) then if fat loss stalls, you can decrease the amount of calories you are consuming without risking losing muscle mass. you should be aiming for between 2-3 lbs of weight loss a week.

have a look at Christian Thibaudeau’s refined physique training. worked well for me.

Thanks. I appreciate the fast response. I will up my calories. I will eat more fats and proteins in the process. Recuperation hasnt been an issue on the first week but I see where you are going with this and I will adjust my diet. The refined physique training looks good for my goals. I will finish this week of SS and go right into this on monday and give it time to work. Again thank you. I will post back in a week or so to see what you fellows think of the progress. You have been of great help.

One last question. After I adjust my calories and up my fat intake… Can I go back to Boxing (heavy bag type) training twice a week for lactate training? Or is it going to be too much?

[quote]Gipsyhex wrote:
One last question. After I adjust my calories and up my fat intake… Can I go back to Boxing (heavy bag type) training twice a week for lactate training? Or is it going to be too much?[/quote]

well it really depends on you, whether you can handle it or not. if you find yourself struggling, consider taking some bcaa’s before and during the workout, or Surge (or something similar). CT answered a lot of questions like this one in the discussion part of refined physique transformation. its well worth a read. pretty much any question you could think of he’s already answered.

thank you again. I have read it and it was very good advice.

[quote]Gipsyhex wrote:
(BIO Impedance)
[/quote]

Huge mistake.

Are you serious? Going through your post, you’re telling the truth but your push press vis-a-vis your squat and everythign else gives me a clear idea where you’re fucking up with your training.

I am willing to bet you are naturally explosive from those years of martial arts or whatever, and you’re being held back by your lifting style (trying to have perfect control, strict form yada yada). What I mean is, you’re capable of putting up much higher numbers in the main lifts but you’re holding yourself back. You also need to transfer your explosiveness to your main lifts first, so stop fooling around and start training with powerlifters.

Next, learn the power clean from a proper instructor. If my guess is right, you should be putting up some decent numbers really soon. The power clean is a GREAT movement for all purposes (including bodybuilding) IFFFFF you’re explosive and learn the lift properly.

[quote]Gipsyhex wrote:
Push Press 3x5 185lbs (don’t know why but it is what it is)
[/quote]