Ketogenic Diet and Leptin

I know that leptin levels fall during caloric deficits. Would this also apply to a keto diet? Theoretically you should have enough body fat that you would never be in true deficit right?

I am on a keto diet now. I would normally take in 3500-4000 calories for maintenance but have lowered it to around 2000. I don’t know if it’s pertinent but I’m also using clen.

I appreciate any info on the leptin thing or thoughts on if 2000 is the right level. Thanks

Why such a large deficit? If you’re worried about leptin the consensus is just have a cheat day every now and then.

[quote]El Juggernaut wrote:
I know that leptin levels fall during caloric deficits. Would this also apply to a keto diet? Theoretically you should have enough body fat that you would never be in true deficit right?

I am on a keto diet now. I would normally take in 3500-4000 calories for maintenance but have lowered it to around 2000. I don’t know if it’s pertinent but I’m also using clen.

I appreciate any info on the leptin thing or thoughts on if 2000 is the right level. Thanks[/quote]

As long as you are in a calorie deficit (especially a large deficit such as yours) leptin will still decrease even though you’re on a keto diet. Leptin is an adipocytokine that is correlated with % body fat and released from fat cells (adipocytes). Obviously obese individuals have higher leptin levels due to their increased number of adipocytes. One of the effects of lower leptin levels seen in dieters, such as yourself, is decreased BMR. There is a good article on here about leptin you should read about. Other than that, try throwing in a couple cheat meals to offset the large caloric deficit and to trick you body.