T Nation

Kerry & Bush Grades The Same!

Kerry's Grades no better than Bush's!

Read the article below. It seems now that John Kerry finally released his college records (still others to follow) we see that his superior intellectual title is undeserved!

After reading this I would like the liberals on the board to say one (or more) of the following:

1. Bush cheated to get as high as he did. And "his Daddy" got him into Yale! (Kerry could not have had any help getting in...Ha ha).

2. Kerry has grown intellectually since college.

3. Kerry did better with the important courses.

There is probably a long list of Bush hate lines that can be used. I beg the liberals not to disapoint me, please come up with excuses why Bush and Kerry had virtually the same grades.

June 7) - Sen. John F. Kerry's grade average at Yale University was virtually identical to President Bush's record there, despite repeated portrayals of Kerry as the more intellectual candidate during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Kerry had a cumulative average of 76 and got four Ds his freshman year - in geology, two history courses and political science, The Boston Globe reported Tuesday.

His grades improved with time, and he averaged an 81 his senior year and earned an 89 - his highest grade - in political science as a senior.

''I always told my dad that D stood for distinction,'' Kerry said in a written response to reporters' questions. He said he has previously acknowledged focusing more on learning to fly than studying.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100 equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade.

By the Numbers

Kerry's highest grade at Yale

Bush's highest grade at Yale

Number of Ds Kerry received in his freshman year

Number of Ds Bush received in his four undergrad years

Source: AP

In 1999, The New Yorker magazine published a transcript showing Bush had a cumulative grade average of 77 his first three years at Yale, and a similar average under a non-numerical rating system his senior year.

Bush's highest grade at Yale was an 88 in anthropology, history and philosophy. He received one D in his four years, a 69 in astronomy, and improved his grades after his freshman year, the transcript showed.

Kerry, a Democrat, previously declined to release the transcript, which was included in his Navy records. He gave the Navy permission to release the documents last month, the Globe reported.

Kerry graduated from Yale in 1966, Bush in 1968.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050607074009990028&ncid=NWS00010000000001

There isn't really enough information in your post to draw a conclusion about anything...

Do you have more?

You can draw a conclusion from what is in the article. You might not want to draw the obvious conclusion so you look for more..tsk tsk..

Also one addition to my original post (not talking to you vroom):

I forgot one of the reasons that Kerry is so much smarter than Bush: "Bush used drugs" Not that anyone can prove it, but he must have used drugs heavily given the fact that you don't like him. Isn't that how the politics of hate is promoted by the far left?

Vroom,

Did you check out the article?

Dean

I love it!!!

Here is a quick summary of the liberal dogshit that floats around:

1. Bush's father bought him everything throughout his life.

2. Bush invaded Iraq for Halliburton.

3. Bush is "dumb." (Yet he kicks the hell out of our favorite candidates: annrichards, algore, john "thanks for coming michaelmoore" kerry...

4. Cheney runs the country.

5. Bush has no coattails.

6. Bush "stole" the 2000 election.

7. If more people vote, they'll vote for kerry over Bush.

8. Bush is "Anti-Science."

The list goes on and on and on.

I love it!!!

I agree with W. when he says he judges his effectiveness in part by how angry he gets the looney left.

JeffR

Kerry doesn't ususally stutter or mispronounce words and gernerally doesn't come across as an idiot. I don't think my complaints about bush were ever his grades. We've all partied a little too hard as undergrads.

They were both able to get into grad school somehow. Either because of external influence or because the admitting schools thought them a good gamble. With Bush's parents who they were there is no doubt in my mind that it was an external influence. As a nobody I would never have been looked at twice by a graduate studies admitting board carrying a C average--that is the point.

Give me a "W"!

I thought some of you were "over 35"?

I seem to recall that Bush and Gore had similar GPA's as well.

All this shows is that Kerry and Bush are average Ivy Leaguers.

I don't know about the rest of you but average isn't exactly what I look for when choosing a leader. I also realize that undergrad grades are not indicative of leadership skills.

I would have to say that Bush has demonstrated the skills of an effective leader. I just wish he would learn how to read from a teleprompter and lose the shit eating grin! Then people would stop calling him a moron!

How much stock should be put into college grades? Assuming, they mean something, what are we left with?- Kerry's a dumbass too. Doesn't make me feel any better. I don't find either very presidential. There were better candidates in both parties.

He could have scored exceptionally well on his GRE! In addition most grad schools look at your last 2 yrs as a sign of maturation and scholastic ability.

True.

True....as well as other special interest groups...American Imperial culture.

True.

True.

True.

Hmmmmm....not touching this one. Congress said he didn't.

There are still more dumb people in this country that vote in their own interests than people who vote on what is right. This will rarely be true.

True. Bush is anti-everything not right wing reganism.

Meaning his only effect is pissing off the loony left.

He probably uses a spell checker too.

Lift

So you explained away Bush but not Kerry. You say you wouldn't have been let in with those grades yet Kerry was? No external features for Kerry? But you just assume that it was the Bush name that worked for W.

Funny how looking for what you want to see influences your ideas and supports your opinions.

Possibly below average with the grade inflation that goes on in the Ivy League.

The article says they are similar (not the same), then cherry picks a few grades, compares the total number of D's... yada yada.

It doesn't give you any type of clear details though. Why not just list all grades and subjects and let people draw their own conclusions?

I'll say it again, the article doesn't give us the details needed for us to come to the conclusion they came to. This has nothing to do with being for or against anyone.

If the details are really in there and I missed them, dammit, just post them in here and I'll be very happy to admit my mistake. Really.

Perhaps it is just a small matter of effort as the records for both may now be fully available online somewhere?

Lifty, if Bush has no coattails why are the democrats losing everything?

Are you kidding me....? Just to get my application looked at I had to provide my high school record, my military record, my letters of recomendation, a letter of intent...and a picture of my mom in a zebra outfit.

The GRE is not really needed for Law School--I beleive they usually only care about the LSAT--but please correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing the GRE proves is that you have a basic understanding of undergraduate material. Some programs have their own GRE. Most higher graduate studies programs (PhD, MD, etc) want to know how successful the applicant MIGHT be in the future--i.e. what he will bring to the program. Inorder to do this they must look at ones previous school records. Academic success is the most consistant means.

Touch?

No, I honestly don't know...I stated my opinion. Maybe Kerry impressed someone too. Grades aren't always a factor--mostly they are though. If you read my post I stated that the Bush name did carry some weight--I don't know what or who helped Kerry's cause.

This is not to say Bush didn't get in fair and square--who knows why some people are chosen and some aren't. I only have my suspicions.

Thanx for pointing out my bias.