T Nation

Kerry and priorities

If you think this is spin, please explain to me how:

Just hours before attending an all-star celebrity fundraising concert in New York, Dem presidential candidate John Kerry revealed how he has been too busy for a real-time national security briefing.

“I just haven’t had time,” Kerry explained in an interview.

Kerry made the startling comments on CNN’s LARRY KING LIVE Thursday night.

KING: News of the day, Tom Ridge warned today about al Qaeda plans of a large-scale attack on the United States. Didn’t increase the – you see any politics in this? What’s your reaction?

KERRY: Well, I haven’t been briefed yet, Larry. They have offered to brief me. I just haven’t had time.

He was too busy at the “Hatefest 2004”.

He’s probably waiting on Chirac to give him a briefing on the proper response.

Is Kerry actually in charge of anything, does it make any difference is HE is briefed of anything?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Is Kerry actually in charge of anything, does it make any difference is HE is briefed of anything?[/quote]

True, but one would think he might be at least passingly interested. Since his national security plan is sure to far superior to that of the current administration, one might expect that he would want to be kept abreast of the situation. If he’s not in charge of anything? Well, he’s only a mere senator, but still they did offer…

Tee-hee-hee…I said “breast” :o

Sitting Senators get briefed - it’s their job.

But it looks like Kerry was busy attending a raunchy fundraiser the night before with celebrity guests, so time is obvioulsy scarce.

Actually, kind of dumb on Kerry’s part - you know King would have allowed him ample time to dissect the security briefing (general, public points) and use it as a golden opportunity to present a detailed critique and alternative plan. Would have been an open mike to really shine, free of charge, with a huge audience.

Some guys strike out swinging. Kerry got caught looking. He’ll need to get sharper.

Ridge didn’t elevate the threat level from Code Pink to Code Fuschia (or whatever colors they use). The threat level hasn’t changed.

The administration also announced publicly that they have no specific information at this time. They have nothing solid to go on.

So what the hell was Kerry supposed to get “briefed” on? Anyway, he’s not in charge of homeland security, George W. Bush is. There will be plenty of time for Kerry to be briefed on security issues, after the election.

You want to talk about lack of priorities and homeland security, look at the August 6th memo that George Bush got, “Bin Laden Determined to Attack Within U.S.”

What did George Bush do? Nothing, he continued to play golf and drink lemonade. Three weeks later, we were attacked on 9-11.

I think it might be fair to say that Kerry is going to be a little busy running for office.

Considering that he is NOT the president he won’t have official reports on situations put in front of his face every day (though if that did happen at least he could read them).

It’s also safe to say that he doesn’t have to make decisions concerning troops, terrorists and so on at this point. I’m sure if he were to get elected that he’d be fully briefed (as was Bush and any previous president) in very short order.

Cut the guy some slack, he’s busy trying to get his message out between usurpations of the news media with bogus useless stories.