Kern US Open Updates

I figured it makes more sense to have a thread for US Open updates rather than using the Larry Weels thread Larry Wheels 5 Weeks Out Check In - #76 by noahripstein
anyone with updates or questions post below. If there is a lift your referring too, it would be awesome to provide a clip.

I have been watching for maybe 10 minutes and it looks like most squats got at least one red light, the left side judge is red lighting anything that isn’t way below parallel. Maybe it’s hard to tell from the camera angle, but my impression is that quite a few good squats got red lighted on depth for no good reason. What do you guys think?

If they are going to be neurotic on squat depth like the IPF then they should have side cameras to eliminate the possibility of human error.

3 Likes

All the squats I can keep up with from names I know (not bothering getting opener vids):

for some reasons the time stamps stopped working when the livestream ended

Andrew Herbert broke the 242 squat record in wraps on his third, after messing up the setup on his second with 910lbs. he opened with 865
opener: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube
Second: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube
Third: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube

Kevin oak weighed in at 222 in the 242 weight class, missed his squat opener, didnt show up for second. Both 832lbs. To be clear: he bombed out, and will not have a total. he has 0 good lifts
Opener: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube
Second: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube

Yuri Belkin squatted 837 for second after missing it as his opener, didn’t take third
first: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube
second: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube

Chris Brideford: 815 for second, missed 832 on third. opened with 805
third: The Kern US Open USPA Powerlifting Competition | Day 2 - YouTube

Andy Huang with a smooth 837lbs opener, 870lbs,missed 887 third

Larry Weels!! weighed in at 276lbs in the 308 class :laughing: fresh haircut,
easy 727 opener. 766 second (you can hear BTC yelling, i love it) 821 third

Dennnis Cornelius easy looking 881 opener, but he got 2 reds. 925 second, good lift, 953 third

Robb Phillipus 909 opener,had a little hiccup on first walkout, but looked smooth. 959 second with 2 reds, smooth 959 third

Brandon Allen 926 opener looked good and smooth but got 2 reds. 975 missed second, 975 third

JP price: 953 opener, smooth. 1003 second, suuper deep, real grinder, didn’t get it. didnt take a third

1 Like

its driving me crazy. It leaves no room for error

The comments are saying that Oak got injured.

I saw Herbert’s 3rd squat, the way he went down I was sure he wasn’t coming back up but he did, and it didn’t even look that hard. Is that a new WR?

1 Like

by 1 pound according to https://www.openpowerlifting.org/

Best lightweight males by wilks calculated by @BOTSLAYER
TOPish in the 82.5kg and 90kg classes:

Blazek 590
Nauanov 579
Hobaica 561
Pollack 561
Derstine 559
Pitbull 549

2 Likes

I know you just posted the heavier lightweights but I believe petkov won with 1840 at 163 ish

2 Likes

How many people bombed out on squats due to depth? This seems pretty ridiculous, last year they weren’t passing any high squats but this year it doesn’t make a lot of sense. People talk shit about the IPF but I saw a good portion of last year’s raw worlds and the judging was fair, plus they had side view replays after each lift. They did fuck with Jezza Uepa by not giving him the squat command several times (overturned by jury in the end), but aside from that it looks like this meet is just as bad as the worst of the IPF.

I’m all for strict judging but the standards need to be known ahead of time and consistently applied, there are plenty of all time WR squats done in USPA and IPL meets that would have gotten 3 reds here.

1 Like

I see absolutly nothing wrong with David Douglas’s 909 squat, but it got turned down by the side judges

That’s one out of a hundred. But I just saw Dennis Cornelius get two whites with a higher squat than Douglas, no consistency.

Other complaints: often can’t tell it the lift was good or not because there are people in front of the lights, on the bottom of the screen you can see the arrow click on “good lift” or “no lift” but it’s easy to miss. Also, whoever is running the clock is fucked up, several times it was running while the weights and rack were being adjusted and then other times it was stopped before the squat command, or still running after the squat command.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if Joe Sullivan decided to drop out when he realized how they were judging squat depth, absolutely none of his training squats in recent months would have passed here. Combine that with him having a herniated disc and not making weight, there was just nothing to gain.

2 Likes

It wasnt just for him, I think across the board they were more generous on 3rd in comparison to Open and 2nds. Dennis’s did stand out.

Also I was making a spreadsheet it is the first tab I didnt feel like making a totally new one:

I am going to have lunch and I will add the above updates.

2 Likes

Give us some highlights, I have to go to my mom’s house now.

Maybe I’m an asshole and I just like complaining, but the way they are judging depth here throws the whole organization into disrepute. It makes me reconsider the IPF, seriously. What do you guys think?

im 6 days out from an OPA meet http://ontariopowerlifting.org/event/2018-scarborough-spring-classic/
everything seems very well organized, I’ll let you know how it goes the day of, but they have been sending very professional email updates, they have answered all my questions nicely, and seem to care about the lifters

Bench:

for some reasons the time stamps stopped working when the livestream ended

Andrew Herbert. 363 opener, 408 second 435 third

Chris Bridgeford: opener 474, second 490, missed 501 third

Yuri Belkin: opener 485, second 507, 529 third

Larry Wheels: opener 513, second 590, missed third 611

1 Like

THIS NOOOO!!! hahahaha

As long as they are consistent IMO. A lot of those that were called high early last year would have been good. And I was fine with that until the 3rds that were high all got called good.

2 Likes

I have done a few OPA meets, generally speaking they are OK but there can be issues. As they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch. The thing that pisses me off the most about the CPU is this coaching certification that they want to make mandatory for all coaches and handlers at all meets. If you want someone to help you out at your first meet it could cost several hundred dollars.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, why do they do that? It almost seems like they want people to get injured, they change the lifting standards right there at the meet with all this money on the line, what do they expect to happen?

1 Like

what happened to John Haack? He was doing some heavy deads/bench on instagram leading into this comp

1 Like