T Nation

Kenyan Monkeys' Sexual Harassment

If you live in the small village of Nachu in Kenya, watch out, because a group of approximately 300 marauding monkeys is out to steal your food, sexually harass your women and attack and kill your livestock! In a truly amazing incidence of interspecies communication, a group of vervet monkeys, Cercopithecus aethiops, is using sexual harassment to intimidate women and children, who are responsible for growing maize, potatoes, beans and other crops for their farming community, causing them to lose their main food supply so they now are dependent upon famine relief to survive.

The monkeys are more afraid of young men than women and children, with the bolder individuals throwing stones and chasing the women from their farms. In an attempt to scare the monkeys away, the women are now wearing their husband's clothing, but the wily monkeys are not fooled.

"When we come to chase the monkeys away, we are dressed in trousers and hats, so that we look like men," said Nachu resident Lucy Njeri. "But the monkeys can tell the difference and they don't run away from us and point at our breasts. They just ignore us and continue to steal the crops."

Further, the monkeys also make sexually explicit gestures at the women, according to the residents.

"The monkeys grab their breasts, and gesture at us while pointing at their private parts. We are afraid that they will sexually harass us," said Njeri.

While it was not unusual for the monkeys to harass the women and be less afraid of them than they are of the men, according to the Kenyan Wildlife Service, the service had never before heard of monkeys making sexually explicit gestures as a form of communication to humans. Despite their new problems with the monkeys, it is a criminal offence to harm or kill any of them, so the besieged villagers must figure out a way to outwit the monkeys instead.

Unfortunately, the monkeys have even been killing the residents' livestock and dogs, evading traps and avoiding poisoned food. The residents are now harvesting their crops early in an attempt to salvage what they can, however, the monkeys are now breaking in to the residents' houses to steal their food. The residents even formed a "monkey squad" that consists of men who track the monkeys' movements, but there simply are not enough people available to do the job adequately. Further, the monkeys have their own sentinals that keep watch on the residents, giving warning when they are approaching so the monkeys can escape.

I wonder why this is occurring all of a sudden? I'd guess this is the result of human encroachment into the monkeys' former territory or perhaps a local food shortage, perhaps caused by the residents. Also, didn't HIV originate in the sooty mangabey (also known as the green monkey), Chlorocebus aethiops, which is a close relative of the vervet monkey? It kind of makes you wonder what might happen to the people if enough of them are bitten or .. otherwise abused .. by these monkeys?

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/08/attack_of_the_evil_monkeys_fro.php

Really makes you think about evolution. Could have been us at one point slowly getting smarter like this...300 marauding monkeys, sounds like Legendary pictures has their sequel.

This is the most important quote.

Don't let poorer nations develop. Don't let poorer people survive. Hamstring them with "developed" ideas about ecology and the environment. It is just shameful.

No it isn't. Tropical nations have far more ecological diversity than Northern nations, and should be more responsible for it because it's more important, both for them and the rest of humanity. They also enjoy the privilege of an above replacement birth rate, and should be more ecologically mindful, or face the consequences of their overpopulation.

The West is ecologically responsible if you look at fertility, and we even allow in immigrants from the third world, helping them manage their population. Also, we are more efficient, with our GDP/capita growing faster than our energy consumption.

Ecocide would damage all nations. We shouldn't allow the Tropical nations to wreck humanity's future because they won't grow up and allow women to control their own reproductive systems.

If you go by population growth, they're "surviving" just fine, even thriving. Environmental ideals are eternal and not restricted to Western ivory tower intellectuals.

They should leave the monkeys alone.

Who comes up with these "environmental ideals"?

Here's mine.

The native people are just as much a part of the local ecosystem as the monkeys. On the peoples side is their ability to form social bonds, grow crops, and raise livestock. This helps them to reproduce and become the top of the local food chain. They are a naturaly occuring Environmental Ideal. They are best suited for surviving and thriving within that environment.

The monkeys are not. They can't cultivate crops or raise livestock. Their survival is based on forraging and territorial encroachment. They have adapted to the local ecosystem by forming a strategy of intimidating another species into surrendering its food source. The problem with that is that it is dependent on the other species(humans) tollerance of them.

If the locals followed the survival of the fittest model of an environmental ideal, they would kill the monkeys or at least beat their population back to a point which it no longer interferes with their own food production, and continue as the dominant species of that ecosystem.

Easy for you to say, sitting in an air-conditioned room and typing on a computer. What does allowing women to "control their own reproductive systems" have to do with this?

Monkeys are stealing their food and forcing them to rely on famine relief.

I'll say it again: monkeys are stealing their food and forcing them to rely on famine relief.

If the monkeys are smart enough to make lewd gestures and avoid traps, they are also smart enough to learn that they will get shot or otherwise injured if they try to steal from human beings.

maybe this is related:

Well said. While I agree that we should discourage the people of developing countries from poaching wildlife, and destroying precious habitat by using inefficent slash and burn style agriculture, it's thier fucking country. They have a right to defend their property, and provide for their own families, which I am sure that they would much rather do than rely on handouts from us.

To me, it sounds like the monkeys are getting smarter and evolving. Sexual Harassment from a monkey is, unreal.

...what about getting some big guard dogs?!

Where do ridiculous ideas come from?! This is not ecocide. This is not poaching. This is not systematic destruction of a species. This is not sport hunting. This is about the survival of a village of people going through a shortage of food because they aren't allowed to do what's necessary to eradicate the threat to their lives (via threatening starvation).

They aren't allowed to kill the monkeys because idiot environmental idealists have deemed it criminal. Which is more valuable, a human life or an animal life? I don't know about you, but I go with the humans every time. They should not HAVE to survive on famine relief in the first place. Kill the monkeys.

If there were monkeys in my town stealing and harassing people, despite the law, I would personally have those monkey's heads. Those people need to stop being robots and get those fucking monkeys out of their village in any way possible.

Get a jaguar to eat the monkeys.

Then get a tiger to eat the jaguar.

Then get a bear to eat the tiger.

This will keep the monkeys away.

Bastard!

Not funny.
But seriously, here's an interesting take on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5gyWKJgNZo

This guy has a unique perspective on the issue,

Yup... The obvious answer, that any human being of average intelligence would come to, is to put a bullet into each and every one of those little fuckers. And then eat them. Two birds with one stone.

To not kill them would be self-hatred, to not eat them would be stupid. I mean, how do these lawmakers think that we got to this position in the food chain, by being nice? Fuck no. We are born to kill.

Yes poor people all over the world having more children than they or their social and economic systems can support is surely something to enjoy. You lost me there Higher Game. But this is about pest control. They should kill the monkeys and I bet there are experts who could help them kill the monkeys and get their lives back to normal.

There are nonlethal ways they could deter the monkeys, btw.

I just don't think they should be required by law to go to such lengths or exercise that level of ingenuity just to eat.