Kennelly Benches 680 Raw (Easily)

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
680lbs raw 1075lbs in gear! Hell of a differenece. I’m not hating, just can’t think of any other sport where legal equipment can boost your numbers by 58% !! Can you imagine Usain Bolt putting on a different pair of spikes and running the 100 in 4 seconds dead?. LOL not gonna happen.[/quote]

Trolling, huh? How’s that workin out for ya?

Ah you got me.

Ah you got me. [/quote]

You think powerlifting is the only sport that equipment makes a difference? look at olympic swimming,suits in swimming are argued all the time, different suits do give an edge. Same as cycling, you think lance armstrong could do as well as he did in the tour de france with farmerbrett’s toys R us pink bicycle with training wheels vs his top of the line bike?

None of your examples increase performance by anywhere near 58%. And for your information my bike is yellow!

None of your examples increase performance by anywhere near 58%. And for your information my bike is yellow![/quote]
Bmx bike vs. a mountain bike would. As would track sprint cycling, as most standard bikes would have some part break under the force they put them through.

Any form of motorsport.

Modern squash and tennis racquets over wooden ones increase ball speed by a dramatic amount vs. wooden ones, and have MORE than 50% increase in surface area to make it easier to hit the ball.

Straps are permitted in some deadlift events in Strongman, and they can definitely lead to a competitor getting 58% more reps if they have a relatively weak grip, while some competitors would only get 0-20%.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

[quote]UNCheavylifter wrote:
so who holds the RAW record?[/quote]

Mendy

[/quote]

Thank you for posting this.

A couple of things: The guy giving him a lift off is huge (as it probably should be), and it’s crazy how his wife was slapping the shit out of him lol.

Ah you got me. [/quote]
What about usain bolts track spikes? I want to see NO SHOES, that would be the RAW equivalent

680lbs raw 1075lbs in gear! Hell of a differenece. I’m not hating, just can’t think of any other sport where legal equipment can boost your numbers by 58% !! Can you imagine Usain Bolt putting on a different pair of spikes and running the 100 in 4 seconds dead?. LOL not gonna happen.[/quote]

[quote]hairygorillaguy wrote:

Ah you got me. [/quote]

You think powerlifting is the only sport that equipment makes a difference? look at olympic swimming,suits in swimming are argued all the time, different suits do give an edge. Same as cycling, you think lance armstrong could do as well as he did in the tour de france with farmerbrett’s toys R us pink bicycle with training wheels vs his top of the line bike? [/quote]

The swimsuits only did maybe a percent on the times. PLUS they’ve been banned.

Just because I have a different view than the majority on here it doesn’t make me a troll. I’m entitled to voice an opinion. And why whenever you mention “gear” on a powerlifting forum does everyone get so bloody defensive?. I wonder what a psychiatrist would make of that?.

Just because I have a different view than the majority on here it doesn’t make me a troll. I’m entitled to voice an opinion.[/quote]
That is true. It’s not the problem. The problem is that you keep following it up with something that is inflammatory, like:

People get shitty because the discussion ALWAYS comes up in a powerlifting forum, and it is ALWAYS by someone who is not a decent geared lifter.
If you are going to raise an issue about something you have not given the time, effort and consideration to either try or understand, then you should at least be polite about it.
There are plenty of people who try to contribute to the sport, through advice, lifting, coaching and refereeing. When someone critisises this sport in an inflammatory manner, without actually contributing anything to it, they will defend it. A psychiatrist would have no issue with that.

Back on topic, anyone think Kennelly went heavy too close to the meet and it messed him up? Given how 680 moved, I’d expect him to hit 700…

Smokotime Just looked at your stats raw and equipped. That explains alot about your reply! That boost in numbers must get quite addictive.

Smokotime Just looked at your stats raw and equipped. That explains alot about your reply! That boost in numbers must get quite addictive.[/quote]

…gawddammit…

[quote]smokotime wrote:

Just because I have a different view than the majority on here it doesn’t make me a troll. I’m entitled to voice an opinion.[/quote]
That is true. It’s not the problem. The problem is that you keep following it up with something that is inflammatory, like:

People get shitty because the discussion ALWAYS comes up in a powerlifting forum, and it is ALWAYS by someone who is not a decent geared lifter.
If you are going to raise an issue about something you have not given the time, effort and consideration to either try or understand, then you should at least be polite about it.
There are plenty of people who try to contribute to the sport, through advice, lifting, coaching and refereeing. When someone critisises this sport in an inflammatory manner, without actually contributing anything to it, they will defend it. A psychiatrist would have no issue with that.

Back on topic, anyone think Kennelly went heavy too close to the meet and it messed him up? Given how 680 moved, I’d expect him to hit 700…[/quote]

Eh, thats up in the air. On the video he lost it at the bottom, if you watch it his hand/wrist looks like it seizes up and comes loose. How much time was there between the first video and the meet?

Smokotime Just looked at your stats raw and equipped. That explains alot about your reply! That boost in numbers must get quite addictive.[/quote]

Wonder what a psychiatrist would say about your reluctance to post without insulting someone in an indirect manner. BTW, don’t bother looking up my numbers they both suck, which would make me unbiased.

If you take the time to read back through this thread you will see that all I did was to mention the difference between Kennely’s raw and geared lifts (395lbs is a hell of a lot) and then I was accused of trolling etc. I don’t actually enjoy trading insults with people I’ve never met, but it takes a lot of willpower to be insulted and not reply and then it just goes on and on.

Lesson learned, I will no longer ever mention the taboo subject of geared lifting on the Powerlifting forum as it is obviously just too touchy a subject. Sorry.

If you take the time to read back through this thread you will see that all I did was to mention the difference between Kennely’s raw and geared lifts (395lbs is a hell of a lot) and then I was accused of trolling etc. I don’t actually enjoy trading insults with people I’ve never met, but it takes a lot of willpower to be insulted and not reply and then it just goes on and on.

Lesson learned, I will no longer ever mention the taboo subject of geared lifting on the Powerlifting forum as it is obviously just too touchy a subject. Sorry.[/quote]

You are entitled to voice your opinion but what did you honestly expect? you are in a powerlifting forum where the majority commenting use equipment. Its like going to a vegan gathering and argueing the benefits of eating meat.

(For your info i do all my lifts raw, i never used gear) your saying kennely got 395 lbs on his raw lift as if everyone who puts on gear magically gets a crazy amount on top of their raw max. It doesnt happen by itself.

But hey, i am not going to say raw or geared is better because i honestly dont know because i never tried using a bench shirt or anthing and i suspect you havent either. Once i have trained in gear for awhile then i will make judgement after having used gear as to which is better.

Try using gear for awhile and then comment the differences, it will make your arguement alot more credible.

Edit: Actually what you should do is go buy a bench shirt put 395 lbs more pounds then your max on the bar have a couple spotters unrack it for you then tell them to let go…tell us what happened.

I am fairly new to the site so I wasn’t aware that most of the lifters on here are equipped. How could I know that? and as for only being allowed to comment once I’ve used gear for a while, that’s like saying you can’t object to the fur trade until you’ve clubbed a few baby seals to death!!!

Everything else duly noted.

boooo, not another raw vs equipped thread. kennelly is badass, nough said

I am completely honest about what I get out of equipment and how I do it. I always have been. From day one my stats have been up so people can choose whether to listen to what I say. I think there’d be a lot fewer arguments through the forums if everyone else did the same.
Frankly, it’s insulting you believe the only reason I use equipment is to boost my ego. I compete. I coach lifters that compete. And we compete in the IPF with equipment because that’s the only way we could ever properly represent our country in powerlifting.

If you look through my posts, I’ve not insulted you, or made any personal attacks. I’m either explaining or presenting an argument in everything I’ve said. I’ve got no control over anyone else, but if you don’t want rough treatment from other forum members, either:

1. Don’t post
  2. Get a proper grounding on how equipment works and people really train with it, enough so that it shows in the posts, or
  3. Post like you are now, but before you click “Submit”, read through it and delete any insults. If you feel it doesn’t stand up without them, flesh out your argument a little more or simply don’t send it…