T Nation

Kelly Baggett's New Speed Manual

Anyone else read it? I just received my copy and thought this was
a GREAT read…
Covers everything regarding speed/athletic development -techniques,
flexibility, mobility program designing, strength and plyo training, testings, and 50 weeks of
individualized workouts based on your strength/weaknesses.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/NoBullSpeed.html

I’m ordering mine at the end of this week…

Kelly has said this is meant to be more of a complete manual than the VJB. I’m definitly looking forward to getting my copy.

Glad to see this is not an ebook. I have Kelly’s vertical jump book and I was impressed with the info. Very good stuff for athletes. I’m into grappling and mma and I think his work in the VJM really transferred to sports better than some mma specific stuff I’ve seen out there.

What i love about kellys stuff is his simplicity. For those of us that do not have a ph D in sports science, kelly makes his material entertaining to read due to how well he breaks and tones down complicated materials into stuff my grandfather can relate to.

Im in the process of reading his other new manual which focuses on muscle building… something I’m sure a lot of us on this site are interested in.

Not trying to “bag” on Baggett, but how many world class sprinters has he trained?

For that matter how many State champion sprinters has he trained?

Who are they?

No world class sprinters.

Truthfully though world class or even state champion sprinter would be great athletes regardles of what they did…(which is why the former state champ sprinter I’m currently training can gain 10 pounds of muscle and lose 5 pounds of fat in 2 months and make my “physique augmentation” training look uber guru extraordinaire.)

The large majority of the athletic population is made up of average Joe’s. Let’s talk about average guys who want to make something out of theirselves and don’t have the benefit of being hand held through the process…now we got something to talk about!

How many speed or football coaches have a 43 inch vert and a 4.2 40 themselves?
kelly’s most content product is perhaps himself, and one of the reasons why he speaks from his own experience so others who are like him can relate.

Maybe after reading his materials and try them out, you will disregard such doubts.

[quote]Kelly Baggett wrote:
No world class sprinters.[/quote]

And I thank you for your honesty.

I think I see what your driving at and agree. However, let’s not play down the effects of good coaching at every level. Why would we ever need Olympic Coaches if those particular athletes were “great” anyway?

The answer, of course, is that we wouldn’t. The Coaches at this level dedicate a great deal of time and effort in making potentially great athletes reach that potential.

That you can take an average guy and do this speaks highly of your methodologies. I am simply looking for specific examples of how your methods have directly impacted those you have trained.

Again, I agree. But in all fairness anyone can claim that they have been able to build more muscle and speed into an “average Joe.”

I was simply looking for some sort of proof (for want of a better word) to justify the expenditure for your book. It really doesn’t have to be a world class or even state champion, as you have basically told us that you have never trained even one.

How about some case studies that you have made from your list of “average Joe’s.” I am not at all trying to give you a hard time, and I hope that you don’t take it the wrong way. I would just like to point to someone, or a group of someone’s and say “Kelly trained em and they’re so much better than they were.”

Thanks for understanding.

I have not read this book, but for its worth I have nothing but high praises for Kelly.

[quote]Edders wrote:
Kelly Baggett wrote:
No world class sprinters.

And I thank you for your honesty.

Truthfully though world class or even state champion sprinter would be great athletes regardles of what they did…

I think I see what your driving at and agree. However, let’s not play down the effects of good coaching at every level. Why would we ever need Olympic Coaches if those particular athletes were “great” anyway?

The answer, of course, is that we wouldn’t. The Coaches at this level dedicate a great deal of time and effort in making potentially great athletes reach that potential.

(which is why the former state champ sprinter I’m currently training can gain 10 pounds of muscle and lose 5 pounds of fat in 2 months and make my “physique augmentation” training look uber guru extraordinaire.)

That you can take an average guy and do this speaks highly of your methodologies. I am simply looking for specific examples of how your methods have directly impacted those you have trained.

The large majority of the athletic population is made up of average Joe’s. Let’s talk about average guys who want to make something out of theirselves and don’t have the benefit of being hand held through the process…now we got something to talk about!

Again, I agree. But in all fairness anyone can claim that they have been able to build more muscle and speed into an “average Joe.”

I was simply looking for some sort of proof (for want of a better word) to justify the expenditure for your book. It really doesn’t have to be a world class or even state champion, as you have basically told us that you have never trained even one.

How about some case studies that you have made from your list of “average Joe’s.” I am not at all trying to give you a hard time, and I hope that you don’t take it the wrong way. I would just like to point to someone, or a group of someone’s and say “Kelly trained em and they’re so much better than they were.”

Thanks for understanding.

[/quote]

Unless you’re a genetically gifted natural for your sport, it isn’t wholly relevant how coaches working exclusively with Olympic caliber athletes train them. The means for developing different natural makeups are drastically different and one of the biggest mistakes made by poor coaches and most athletes is the failure to recognize this.

People like Kelly’s stuff because he understands this and provides for greater flexibility in programing based on the actual needs of the athlete.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Edders wrote:
Kelly Baggett wrote:
No world class sprinters.

And I thank you for your honesty.

Truthfully though world class or even state champion sprinter would be great athletes regardles of what they did…

I think I see what your driving at and agree. However, let’s not play down the effects of good coaching at every level. Why would we ever need Olympic Coaches if those particular athletes were “great” anyway?

The answer, of course, is that we wouldn’t. The Coaches at this level dedicate a great deal of time and effort in making potentially great athletes reach that potential.

(which is why the former state champ sprinter I’m currently training can gain 10 pounds of muscle and lose 5 pounds of fat in 2 months and make my “physique augmentation” training look uber guru extraordinaire.)

That you can take an average guy and do this speaks highly of your methodologies. I am simply looking for specific examples of how your methods have directly impacted those you have trained.

The large majority of the athletic population is made up of average Joe’s. Let’s talk about average guys who want to make something out of theirselves and don’t have the benefit of being hand held through the process…now we got something to talk about!

Again, I agree. But in all fairness anyone can claim that they have been able to build more muscle and speed into an “average Joe.”

I was simply looking for some sort of proof (for want of a better word) to justify the expenditure for your book. It really doesn’t have to be a world class or even state champion, as you have basically told us that you have never trained even one.

How about some case studies that you have made from your list of “average Joe’s.” I am not at all trying to give you a hard time, and I hope that you don’t take it the wrong way. I would just like to point to someone, or a group of someone’s and say “Kelly trained em and they’re so much better than they were.”

Thanks for understanding.

Unless you’re a genetically gifted natural for your sport, it isn’t wholly relevant how coaches working exclusively with Olympic caliber athletes train them. The means for developing different natural makeups are drastically different and one of the biggest mistakes made by poor coaches and most athletes is the failure to recognize this.

People like Kelly’s stuff because he understands this and provides for greater flexibility in programing based on the actual needs of the athlete.[/quote]

etaco,

Yes, I understand and thank you for your comments. I am simply trying to find some of Kelly’s success stories before I invest in his fine book.

Go read his fine FREE articles at his website, and you can decide for yourself whether the guy knows what he is talking about.

I don’t think you’ll find anybody who says he doesn’t know his stuff…

I had a long post but I’ll say Kelly is one of the coaches who gets it.

[quote]Edders wrote:

Yes, I understand and thank you for your comments. I am simply trying to find some of Kelly’s success stories before I invest in his fine book.

[/quote]

I’m a college volleyball player and while I wasn’t training directly under Kelly, his book (VJB) and articles were a great influence on my training and I increased my vertical leap from 30-34". Maybe that is not world class, but a 34" vert on a 6’4" guy is pretty decent.

I’m sure my results would’ve been even better if I was training directly under Kelly.

I thank you all for the comments. It’s obvious that Kelly has a small following here at T-Nation. And that speaks highly of him.

However, there are plenty of Coaches out there who have very helpful advice. I was merely trying to put that helpful advice together with some specific success stories.

Apparently there are none.

Thanks anyway.

Kelly is popular in forums such as this one because most of us are “average joes” that are just trying to get better, and we dont all have to privilege to train under charlie francis or joe defranco. Although i had great help from other coaches on here (EC, CW ), kelly’s materials helped me tremendously in increasing my standing vertical from 31 inches to 39 inches in the past 2 years.

KB PLEASE submit more articles here for the T-Nation vets! And tell Dave and Louie the same when/if you see/talk to them!

Just check out the testimonials on his site for some results of his training.

Perfect!!

if it’s testimonials then there you go

also read some of his articles on his site

[quote]Calis wrote:
Just check out the testimonials on his site for some results of his training.

www.higher-faster-sports.com/testimonials.html[/quote]

I have Kelly’s Vertical Jump book and it is a WEALTH of amazing information. This is on my Christmas list as I have no doubt it will be just as great (if not better).

MR