Kegs for Strongman

Just a quick question for those who venture outside the gym for their strength training.

I have dabbled in a bit of strongman training thanks to this article…

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_strongman.htm

I’ve got the tyres, sleds, ropes and etc. I’m in the process of getting a keg.

1 Question: I’ve heard it needs to be de-gassed. Is this true and how does one get this done?

To relieve the pressure off a keg, all you need to do is get a big flat-head screwdriver and push the little stainless steel ball-valve down. That will allow the pressure to escape (along with a nice spew of stale beer).

Now if you want to take the whole valve assembly out (which I recommend, so you can clean out the keg), just follow the instructions on this webpage:

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html

[quote]J.W. wrote:
To relieve the pressure off a keg, all you need to do is get a big flat-head screwdriver and push the little stainless steel ball-valve down. That will allow the pressure to escape (along with a nice spew of stale beer).

Now if you want to take the whole valve assembly out (which I recommend, so you can clean out the keg), just follow the instructions on this webpage:

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html[/quote]

I hadn’t seen the updated version of that site. Good to see other people working out complex solutions to simple problems. The tabs he was hammering on with a screwdriver need a bung wrench (much like the socket tool that that the idiot made). The gold plated ones should run you about $15, an average one, about $7.

In a pinch, a set of pliers can be put into the cap, in this case with the nose of the pliers towards the ball in the valve, and opened as wide as possible and turned until the jaws of the pliers torque against the tab… or you can hammer on it with hammer and screwdriver or mill your own bung wrench.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
…Good to see other people working out complex solutions to simple problems. The tabs he was hammering on with a screwdriver need a bung wrench (much like the socket tool that that the idiot made). The gold plated ones should run you about $15, an average one, about $7.
[/quote]

Dude, what’s the deal? How was any of that “a complex solution to a simple problem.” It was a straightforward approach to getting the valve out of the keg. The OP of this thread just wanted know if he needed to release the gas out of the keg.

The link I posted was just extra info. Hell, you’re the one recommending he go out and buy a new tool! It seems that you’re the one who’s making the simple problem complex…

[quote]J.W. wrote:

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html [/quote]

Thanks J.W. I just got a whole bunch of kegs and thought I’d better get this done. I had no idea how to do it.

Thanks once again.

[quote]J.W. wrote:

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html[/quote]

Appreciate the link as I’ve never been quite sure how to remove the valve. Thanx.

No problema, homies. Have fun with your kegs!

Yeah but if you leave the valve in place you use your keg to trade in for a new FULL keg. Drink it and VOILA! a new keg to throw.

Trade in and repeat :slight_smile:

Its funny because I used to drink like a madman when I was in the Marines, but I have since quit. When I went into the liquor store to ask about buying an empty keg, it just didn’t feel right! I was thinking, “Wow, you’ve really tunred over a new leaf when you’re in a liquor store looking for training implements and not alcohol!” Well, either that, or I’ve lost my mind. Maybe a little of both.

Anyway, tossing that keg around is much more rewarding than a hangover.

[quote]J.W. wrote:

Dude, what’s the deal? How was any of that “a complex solution to a simple problem.” It was a straightforward approach to getting the valve out of the keg.[/quote]

You don’t think machine milling a bung socket to fit your socket wrench was a little more complex than buying a $7 wrench or even using a pair of pliers? Maybe you missed the authors own words:

“I have a partially complete drawing I made of the unnecessary keg tools in case anyone cares. SankeKegTool.pdf”

If you could read, I recommended the new tool or a pair of pliers. If the guy has a keg other than a Sanke (two of mine happen to be Miller), the neck is threaded and you’ll be hammering on your screwdriver all day.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
You don’t think machine milling a bung socket to fit your socket wrench was a little more complex than buying a $7 wrench or even using a pair of pliers? Maybe you missed the authors own words:

“I have a partially complete drawing I made of the unnecessary keg tools in case anyone cares. SankeKegTool.pdf”
[/quote]

That’s my point! He points out the fact that the tool is extra & NOT NECESSARY. That was extraneous information that did not complicate the main gist of taking the keg apart with basic tools!

Also, if you refer to the OP, you can see that he was only asking how to relieve the pressure off the keg. I explained that in my reply and just threw the link in for exra info.

What bothered me about your comment was the unnecessary negativity! How many websites are devoted to the disasembly of a keg? NOT MANY!! Why would you feel the need to criticize the site that I included as EXTRA INFORMATION? You just came across as crass smart-ass and it irked me.

Nice. Thanks.