Keg Training

I recently “acquired” an empty Fosters Beer Keg with the intention of opening it and filling it for training!! After some googling I’ve now come to the conclusion the Keg’s fitting is a ‘European Sankey’ and as much as the youtube 'how to ’ videos go it seems they only show how to open US models…

Any advice on opening and resealing and what you guys found was best to fill it with ???

thanks
ry

Pics would really help.

If you can post pics of the tap, we can give you a better idea of how to open it. They are different model to model.

As for what to fill it with, that depends on what weight you want it. We have half kegs that are 175 with water, 220 with sand, 240+ with sand and some water, etc. If you need more than that, you can use lead shot, scrap metal, concrete, etc.

Also, if you can’t find how to open it, I know of people that drilled a hole in the side of the keg, and filled it partially (halfway or something) with concrete, thereby weighing it down AND sealing the hole. Of course, this will lead to a keg that is weighed down on one side and may be awkward.

If you give us pics I promise we can help you. Or at least find a pic online of the kind of keg it is.

I used to brew beer on a regular basis and used kegs almost exclusively.

Iâ??ll try to explain; first you need to put a nail into the ball valve to wedge it open. This is to prevent pressure from building up inside the keg.
Next there is a snap ring on the top of the stem assembly; this snap ring is tapered at the ends. Use a small flathead screw driver and pair of needle nose pliers to pry the snap ring out. I found it easiest to pry the ring with the screwdriver at the taper in the notch of the keg flange inward to the ball and then grab it with the pliers.
After the snap ring is removed, the stem rotates 90 degrees and comes out in one piece.

BTW, after itâ??s removed find a rubber pipe cap with worm clamp to hold in the sand and keep water out.
It tricky at first and took me 30 min or so the first time but after you get used to it you can do it in 5 min.
Remember to keep the nail in the ball valve less you wish to have the stem shoot through your head.
Sorry, no picts. Right now as I am at work.

I used to brew beer on a regular basis and used kegs almost exclusively.

Iâ??ll try to explain; first you need to put a nail into the ball valve to wedge it open. This is to prevent pressure from building up inside the keg. Next there is a snap ring on the top of the stem assembly; this snap ring is tapered at the ends. Use a small flathead screw driver and pair of needle nose pliers to pry the snap ring out. I found it easiest to pry the ring with the screwdriver at the taper in the notch of the keg flange inward to the ball and then grab it with the pliers. After the snap ring is removed, the stem rotates 90 degrees and comes out in one piece.

BTW, after itâ??s removed find a rubber pipe cap with worm clamp to hold in the sand and keep water out.
It tricky at first and took me 30 min or so the first time but after you get used to it you can do it in 5 min.

Remember to keep the nail in the ball less you wish to have the stem shoot through you head.
Sorry, no picts. Right now as I am at work.

EDIT:
Sorry, just re-read an noticed the European Sankey. Check this link out,

I would trade the keg out for an snap ring style before doing this.

Guys, I hope after 3 months, he finally got his keg open.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Guys, I hope after 3 months, he finally got his keg open.[/quote]

You don’t know that for sure… i’ve spent at least that long on childproof medicine containers…

I just got an old hard drive working last night and i asked questions about it last spring

Hahaha I just noticed the dates, awesome.

Did you ever get that keg open, Ryan? I just bought that very same keg (Fosters) off of Craig’s List and I can’t get it open for the life of me. There’s no 0-ring like on the ones I see being taken apart on YouTube. There are those 2 little metal tabs and I can turn them into infinity and nothing happens. It begins unthreading, about 1/2", and then it just spins and spins. I’ve tried using pliers at that point, to lift the column out, but no luck.

Fuck!

I’ll attach a picture!

Here’s another one…

Score! I got it done with 2 screw drivers and some elbow grease.