T Nation

Keg Toss (Video)

This was my first time doing the event in training or competition, it was fun even though I made a mistake on the second toss with the large keg (should have just stayed with the 'upright' technique).

That is awesome man! I may be entering in a contest soon that has this and I have never tried them before either. What were the weights on the kegs?

That looks like fun, kinda sucks though that you have to chase the kegs down to throw back over. Rolled a ways

[quote]Alpha wrote:
That is awesome man! I may be entering in a contest soon that has this and I have never tried them before either. What were the weights on the kegs?[/quote]

They were 25, 30, and 35 lbs - but the type of keg made a much bigger difference than the weight.

Although I did not train for this I would think that if you have any old car tires laying around they could be a good simulator - grip from the sidewall and throw over a tree branch, goal post, or just toss it up in the air to get used to the extension/release. Another option might be kettlebells, although you would have more swing clearance than a keg and could end up destroying them (they are not exactly cheap).

Good luck with your contest!

Thanks brother! I will definitely give those things a shot.

[quote]scoots2 wrote:
That looks like fun, kinda sucks though that you have to chase the kegs down to throw back over. Rolled a ways[/quote]

The gym recently opened and did not have a ton of equipment which is why it was set up like that, but I agree that some athletes spent a lot of time chasing down kegs. Still a fun event and glad that I had the opportunity to give them a try.

Too bad so many people are into home brewing beer now - it is difficult to find used kegs on Craigslist without spending a lot of money.

I did some of these today