T Nation

Keg Question

Does anyone have an idea as to what the total weight of a beer keg filled with water might be?
How about sand?

Full keg:
165#

I have no idea how much it would be with sand. Rough guess: a lot

A half keg (your normal beer keg, because you can’t get full kegs) will hold 15.5 gallons of liquid, and a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. So that means the water inside the keg will be 129.27 pounds, plus the weight of the keg itself.

As far as sand, it depends on how fine the sand is.

[quote]Uncle Fester wrote:
A half keg (your normal beer keg, because you can’t get full kegs) will hold 15.5 gallons of liquid, and a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. So that means the water inside the keg will be 129.27 pounds, plus the weight of the keg itself.

As far as sand, it depends on how fine the sand is.[/quote]

Actually it is a full keg or a “beer keg”, the unit you are thinking of is barrells.

A standard keg has 15.75 gallons of fluid, which is equal to a “half barrel” unit. Besides the “half barrel” 15.75 gallon domestic, the keg family also includes a 13.2 gallon import keg, the 7.75 gallon “pony” or “quarter barrel” keg, and the 5-gallon “sixth barrel” keg.

I KNOW my beer.

thanks, fellas! I appreciate the answers.

Water will weight around 160, while sand will weigh around 180+. You can add water to the sand though for a heavier keg.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Water will weight around 160, while sand will weigh around 180+. You can add water to the sand though for a heavier keg.[/quote]

Is your avatar a self-pic? If not, where did you find that?
Thanks!

If you want to get super heavy, put some castro oil in it. :wink:

Does anyone know how to fit the keg with a valve so you can take out and add water or sand?

Or is it common practice to remove the whole valve stem, add what you want then reinstall it?

Thanks.

[quote]worker wrote:
wressler125 wrote:
Water will weight around 160, while sand will weigh around 180+. You can add water to the sand though for a heavier keg.

Is your avatar a self-pic? If not, where did you find that?
Thanks![/quote]

Yes it is actually, thats of last years Stronger than All II competition.

To the last poster, drill out the tap, fill it, and then reinstall it. Set the weight you want, and weld it closed.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
worker wrote:
wressler125 wrote:
Water will weight around 160, while sand will weigh around 180+. You can add water to the sand though for a heavier keg.

Is your avatar a self-pic? If not, where did you find that?
Thanks!

Yes it is actually, thats of last years Stronger than All II competition.

To the last poster, drill out the tap, fill it, and then reinstall it. Set the weight you want, and weld it closed.[/quote]

Thanks!

What do you think about adding Wet sand instead of just water to reduce the "sloshing effect?

Or do you think the sloshing is actually benificial?

Keep in mind I use the keg for throwing as well as carries.

Thanks again.

The easiest thing to do is just remove the one keeper ring pull the tap out fill and reinstall takes like 2 minutes if you have a screw driver.

Yes wet sand can work you can fill it with sand and then top that with weater for extra weight thats how I got mne to 300 filled it with limestone shavings and water. Top it off with water and no sloshing. Just water FULL = 160 lbs.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
The easiest thing to do is just remove the one keeper ring pull the tap out fill and reinstall takes like 2 minutes if you have a screw driver.

Yes wet sand can work you can fill it with sand and then top that with weater for extra weight thats how I got mne to 300 filled it with limestone shavings and water. Top it off with water and no sloshing. Just water FULL = 160 lbs.

Phill[/quote]

Crap Phill! 300! Show off. jk. I think I will start off with 100 at most lol.

Some of the guys we train with occasionally have 2 kegs, 225 and 275. The 275 is pretty easy to pick up and carry, but it’s a bitch to clean.

So far, I have only been able to clean the 225. Once I get it up, it’s easy to press, but it’s so ackward.

I’m pretty sure they filled theirs with concrete.

Monopoly

[quote]Panik (akajbodzi wrote:

Crap Phill! 300! Show off. jk. I think I will start off with 100 at most lol.

[/quote]

Well I damn sure aint pressing the 300 YET!!! im cleaning it and loading it to a platform that is the highest weight I have to do in my March meet for keg loading. Its a HEAVY S.O.B. but got it just barely the first day I tried it after two misses and yesterday got it very clean and one battle load no misses.

Have fun with the keg and enjoy the bicep bruises.

Phill