Keg Carries vs Farmers Walks

Here in a couple of weeks i’m planning on switching off to strongman training just to shake things up a bit. I’ve got a drag sled and handles, a rolling thunder handle, a keg, and some other equipment in the works.

My question is what is the functional differences between farmers walks and keg/stone carries? I’m sure that keg carries hits your lower back more than farmers walks, and that farmers hit the traps hard. Can they be used in the same workout, or should they be done on alternate days?

La’
Redsol1

What does your training split look like?

a la total body training you could definitely train the same muscles/exercises on multiple days, but just watch the volume.

I have both a keg and farmers walks too… Which way are you carrying the keg? You can do the “bear-hug” method or the overhead method. The latter really hits your shoulders and stabilizers, whereas like you said, the bear hug method is a lot of lower back.

We find that the rock/keg/barrel of stuff makes the abs more sore the next day. Farmers Bars also really hit the grip. You could argue…badly…that some rock carries work the biceps better, but you need to really think that through…

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:

a la total body training you could definitely train the same muscles/exercises on multiple days, but just watch the volume.

I have both a keg and farmers walks too… Which way are you carrying the keg? You can do the “bear-hug” method or the overhead method. The latter really hits your shoulders and stabilizers, whereas like you said, the bear hug method is a lot of lower back.
[/quote]

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
[/quote]

That’s one of the things I’m working on. Right now i’m on week 6 of the TBT program and having great results. I’m looking at using a modified version of DeFranco’s Strongman for Atheleats program. I’m doing a bunch of research to try and design a 3 day a week beginner stongman program that I can do for around four weeks.

La’
Redsol1

Here’s my two Euros…

Farmers walk hits my abs, grip, and traps very hard. Bi’s get it too, just not a ton of “it”…

Rock Carries (either bearhug or carrying out in front) murder my bi’s and traps. Although, more or less depending on the size/shape of the stone. Also, if the rock is heavy enough, the hams will be taxed as well.

Barrel work…I only like to shoulder it and walk. Good for my legs and abs.

I also like to do Deadlift Walks…Basicall, deadlift a Thick bar and well, walk. I vary the grips…very rough on bi’s, legs, low back, and traps.

As far as doing them all in the same session or mixing them up? If you plan on competing, you will have to get used to doing that.