Keeping Training Simple- Exercise Selection

Hi CT,

A while back I asked you whether it would be possible to build a thick, wide back using just Snatch Grip High Pulls and Dead Start rows following your 6,6,6,3,3,3 program and you agreed that those were sound choices.

To continue this throughout my training I am looking to base my press day around just 2 exercises/ possibly 3.

Can you see any issues with this exercise selection:

Main strength work:

1. Slight decline bench- 3,3,3,6,6,6
  2. Rack press from mid point- 3,3,3,6,6,6

Strength Capacity work (Alternating sets of):

1. Rack Press- 6/6/6/6/6/6
  2. Dips- 6/6/6/6/6/6

Many Thanks in advance CT

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

A while back I asked you whether it would be possible to build a thick, wide back using just Snatch Grip High Pulls and Dead Start rows following your 6,6,6,3,3,3 program and you agreed that those were sound choices.

To continue this throughout my training I am looking to base my press day around just 2 exercises/ possibly 3.

Can you see any issues with this exercise selection:

Main strength work:

1. Slight decline bench- 3,3,3,6,6,6
  2. Rack press from mid point- 3,3,3,6,6,6

Strength Capacity work (Alternating sets of):

1. Rack Press- 6/6/6/6/6/6
  2. Dips- 6/6/6/6/6/6

Many Thanks in advance CT[/quote]

That’s pretty much what I do as well as what I use with a strongman/powerlifter I’m training (I also have him do clean & presses).

There is no doubt that you can build a good amount of mass in all the pressing muscles with these 3 movements. I would personally go with an overhead movement instead of dips though.

Training just seems to flow much better this way. In a perfect world I would just perform 1 workout 6 days a week, alas, it s not a perfect world.

My reason for not including an overhead press is that I have just finished a long period where push press was my main focused and I now, after reaching my long term goal, would like to shift the emphasis to horizontal pressing.

Ideally I would have floor press in place of rack press but I do not have the equipment un rack a floor press. Are rack presses a viable alternative?

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Training just seems to flow much better this way. In a perfect world I would just perform 1 workout 6 days a week, alas, it s not a perfect world.

My reason for not including an overhead press is that I have just finished a long period where push press was my main focused and I now, after reaching my long term goal, would like to shift the emphasis to horizontal pressing.

Ideally I would have floor press in place of rack press but I do not have the equipment un rack a floor press. Are rack presses a viable alternative?[/quote]

Understood about the push press. You can always come back to it and you will likely find it improved after 1-2 weeks of re-acquiring your timing.

The rakc press is just fine. I actually prefer it over the floor press myself as it allows me to set-up perfectly on each rep.

That was my plan with push press. Looking forward to really hitting the horizontal pressing now as it is a great weakness of mine. I plan on performing overhead support before my pressing work to potentiate the pressing and maintain some of that overhead stability.

Would it be wise to perform slight decline and rack press for both strength work and strength capacity work or do you see it being more beneficial to include dips.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

The rakc press is just fine. I actually prefer it over the floor press myself as it allows me to set-up perfectly on each rep.[/quote]

CT, by rack press replacing floor press, it this basically a pin press on a bench simulating the range of motion of a floor press?

Thanks