Keeping Red Snapper Fresh

I just got told nicely by my boss and all my co-workers that my red Snapper had to go! I got exiled to the break room, where i’m forced to eat with the rest of the employees and damit I wanna eat at my desk like everyone else. Actually the smell was so bad one of the girls told me it smelled like someones period…I bout puked!

I cook it up on the Grill in the AM go workout, then go to work, its in plastic containers for about 3 hours before it gets to the fridge we have here at work. You guys have any ideas on keeping this smelly fish fresh? I cant smell it myself, I must be so used to it or I guess smell buds are out of whack!

Maybe consider eating tuna or chicken at work? Either that or spice the heck out of it to mask the smell.

Anyway, if you are transporting it for three hours before it gets to a fridge, maybe you could pack it on ice. Throw it in a ziplock without much air, then dump it in a platic container with ice. That way it won’t sit in water for three hours but will be kept cooler.

I don’t know if it’s the sitting around or just the fish that’s stinking though.

its the fish and there isn’t much you can do about it. I have had the same problem at my office microwaving fish that we had in the fridge until lunch. Tried all kinds including cod and halibut. They all produce a very distinct smell that carries easy. It doesn’t bother me, but I do get grossed out smelling the nasty industrial coffee they brew all day in the break rooms. Now I stick to canned tuna, or other meats like steak, pork, or chicken at the office.

You don’t want to leave fresh fish sitting unrefrigerated for more than 1-2 hours TOPS. Try bringing a cooler full of ice or one of those frozen gel packs with you and store it in there before bringing it home. You’ll want to cook the fish within 48-72 hours of it being caught if you want to avoid the smelly fish issues. Since you live in CA, most of the fresh fish you buy from a reputable fishmonger will probably be caught that day, so try to cook it within 24-48 hours of buying it. Hope that helps…

yeah fresh fish doesn’t smell. unless your fish was caught by a dayboat it’s probably a week old by the time you buy it at the market. even if it “just came in today”.

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
its the fish and there isn’t much you can do about it. I have had the same problem at my office microwaving fish that we had in the fridge until lunch. Tried all kinds including cod and halibut. They all produce a very distinct smell that carries easy. It doesn’t bother me, but I do get grossed out smelling the nasty industrial coffee they brew all day in the break rooms. Now I stick to canned tuna, or other meats like steak, pork, or chicken at the office.[/quote]

what no sausage ? you’re slipping abe !

[quote]swivel wrote:
yeah fresh fish doesn’t smell. unless your fish was caught by a dayboat it’s probably a week old by the time you buy it at the market. even if it “just came in today”.[/quote]

That’s usually the case at chain stores, but you can find some quality fishmongers out there. Just do some research and find out where the nicer restaurants in your area get their seafood from.

[quote]swivel wrote:
what no sausage ? you’re slipping abe !
[/quote]

I found these low fat chicken sausages at Costco last month. Fantastically addicting, and I like to eat them with everything. The fact that they come in packs of like 30 is just icing on the cake. Unfortunately not too many people appreciate a fine sweater-vest anymore…

I used to bring salmon to work and my coworkers would bitch about the smell when I microwaved it so I just switched my meals around so I was eating it at home.

Don’t feel too bad. I was peeling and eating hard boiled eggs at work and someone loudly stated, “What stinks? I think someone farted!”

Did you try sprinkling lemon juice on the snapper before closing the lid on the container?

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Don’t feel too bad. I was peeling and eating hard boiled eggs at work and someone loudly stated, “What stinks? I think someone farted!”
[/quote]

That’s because boiled eggs DO smell like farts.