T Nation

Keeping My Head Down, Doing My Thing

@aldebaran et al: bon quatorze juillet à nos amis en France!

81,9 kg

I have doubled the size of breakfast (I don’t think I’ve knowingly consumed 813 kcal by the end of breakfast once in my whole life! ) and I’ve slightly increased the size of lunch, so I’m now feeling much better during the day. No need to put my head down on my desk after lunch and wait for the feeling of dying to pass . . .

Morning — Round 2, Week 3, Day 2: Leg Tabatas

Warm-up

Beat your boots
8 x 7

Lunges
2 x 3 + 6 x 4

Good mornings
1 x 6 + 7 x 7

Good energy for this morning’s routine. Improved on every exercise over the last round.

Afternoon: PLP

For P & P always explosive up, 1-2-sec pause, 6-sec eccentric; for L always 6-sec pause at bottom each side

Day 7 (Day 6): Neutral grip: 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 (20)

Day 6 is a scheduled rest day, but I was feeling good, so I opted to postpone the rest day.

4 Likes

Thanks mate, I celebrated it way too much ahah

A big breakfast is key to a great session hehe…

Already skipping rest days, 'nice to see this energy!

1 Like

84,0 kg

Morning — Round 2, Week 3, Day 3: Pull ladders

Warm-up

Each set per exercise + rest = 7.5 minutes

Let-me-ups (inverted bodyweight rows) with pronated grip
1 + 2 + . . . 7 + 8 + 7 + . . . 2 + 1 + timer expired

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
1 + 2 + . . . 11 + 12 + timer expired

Let-me-ups (inverted bodyweight rows) with supinated grip
1 + 2 + . . . 6 + 7 + 6 + 5 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + timer expired

Let-me-ins (towel rows) with palms up
1 + 2 + . . . 10 + 11 + timer expired

For P & P always explosive up, 1-2-sec pause, 6-sec eccentric; for L always 6-sec pause at bottom each side

Day 8: Supinated grip: 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 3 (21)

2 Likes

82,7 kg

Morning — Round 2, Week 3, Day 4: Core supersets

Warm-up

V-ups:
5.8@8
5.8@8
&
Russian twists:
12@8
12@9

Supermans (stretch during rest before set):
5.8@8 stiff
5.8@8
&
Swimmers:
12.4@8 stiff
12.4@9 lower back stiff — quick stretch afterwards

Bicycles:
5.4@8 stiff
5.4@9 burn!
&
Leg lifts with hands on chest:
12.8@8
12.8@9 vicious burn, almost cramp!

Day 9: Supinated grip: 6 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 3 (22)

2 Likes

84,0 kg

Morning — Round 2, Week 3, Day 5: Stappers

Warm-up

As many cycles as possible in 20 minutes with no rest:

10 alternating back lunges
8 Let-me-ins (towel rows)
6 Push-ups

Managed 9 rounds at a good, steady pace, maintaining good form, without rushing.

Day 10: Pronated grip: 6 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 3 (23)

3 Likes

@hustlinghat93: Thanks so much for stopping by my log! I read yours too, and find your progress very inspiring!

1 Like

No worries my dude. I lurk a lot while at work (in private so not logged in) and been reading yours as well.

LOL! I do the same thing (lurk while not logged in).

82,8 kg

Morning — Rest day

Felt like I needed a day off today, so I just went ahead and did it. :smile:

Afternoon:

55-minute woodland and beach walk.

3 Likes

84,2 kg

Morning: Push supersets

1 set of each superset + rest = 4 minutes. Explosive concentrics, pause at “top”, slow eccentrics

Warm-up

Push-ups with feet elevated:
5.8@9
5.8@9,5
&
Shove-offs:
12@8
12@9

Military press on floor:
3.4@10
4.4@10
&
Thumbs-up:
12.4@8
12.4@8

Close-grip push-ups on floor:
5.8@8
5.8@10
&
Seated dips:
12.4@10
9.4@10

Not much of an improvement over last round on this one. That last superset is brutal and leaves a good anterior burn in the shoulders — which just proves that my shoulders are weaker than kittens.

Day 11: Pronated grip: 6 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 (24)

For some reason, the first two sets were a bit grindy today. Not sure why, because I’ve been eating like a rapacious animal!

2 Likes

83,5 kg

Morning: Round 2, Week 4, Day 2: Leg interval sets

Warm-up

Each set + rest = 3 minutes

Bulgarian split squats
2 x 12.5@7
1 x 12.5@8 longer reach with elevated leg

Side lunges
12.4@7
12.4@7
12.4@7 improved flexibility and ROM on left (weak) side

Squats with 4- to 6-sec pause at bottom
3 x 12.9@9 same as last time, but with improved ROM

1-legged RDLs on pillow
9.9@8 timer expired
11.9@8 timer expired, shaky
10.8@8 timer expired, technical failure

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: programming these after squats is evil. Doing them with such a long hold at bottom leaves no rest time between sets = double evil.

For some reason, was struggling by this point today. Struggled to get properly awake this morning, despite (or perhaps because of) 11 hours’ sleep last night (I was dead tired).

Day 13 (Day 12): Neutral grip: 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 (25)

Day 12 is a scheduled rest day, but I took a rest day on Sunday, so pressed ahead with Day 13. Neutral grip is always my favourite because the (body) weight just flies up!

1 Like

83,8 kg

Morning: Tabatas

Warm-up

Let-me-ins (towel rows) with feet in normal position (these are easy enough at this point; don’t need to make them easier)
6 + 7 x 7

Bam-bams (with 3-count pause at top)
3 x 3 + 5 x 4

Towel curls
8 x 3.4 ouchy!

Day 14: Neutral grip: 7 + 6 + 4 + 5 + 4 (26)
A little preoccupied so lost my place . . . but it all comes out in the wash.

I will likely be gone for several days (travelling). Take good care of yourselves!

2 Likes

Friends,

On Wednesday, I travelled for a non-life-threatening, emergency medical appointment. Yesterday, I had the first of two emergency surgeries (the next one is tomorrow) that will require that I remain bed-ridden for a five-week recovery. The reason for this is that I have to maintain a certain position for recovery to take place properly, even during sleep.

I’m allowed out of bed for a maximum of 10 minutes of every hour, so I plan to try to do some light exercise for about 5 of those minutes, just to maintain some sort of conditioning during the convalescence. However, I’ll have to see how it goes and make adjustments accordingly.

I will be away for a while, and wish all of you the very best. My grateful thanks to all the wonderful and supportive new friends I’ve made here. I will miss all of you during this time, and I hope to be back to my usual routine again soon.

All the best! :heart:

4 Likes

Good luck on your recovery dude

2 Likes

Take care of yourself, what ever that entails.

I’ve had some big periods of down time these past couple of years too, but they were necessary in order to keep moving forward.

See you again soon.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that, my friend.

Take care of yourself, and please keep us apprised of your progress. We’ll be looking forward to your return.

Recover well!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that mate.

Get well soon

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. The second surgery was successful, and now it’s a question of recovery. I’m not allowed to exercise for two weeks. But after that, I’m looking forward to getting back to things.

Thanks again for all your kindness and support!

3 Likes