T Nation

Keeping My Head Down, Doing My Thing

87,7 kg

Morning — Round 5, Week 3, Day 3: Pull ladders

Warm-up

Each set per exercise + rest = 7.5 minutes

Let-me-ups (inverted bodyweight rows) with pronated grip
1 + 2 + . . . 7 + 8 + 7 + . . . 2 + 1 + timer expired — forearms!

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
1 + 2 + . . . 11 + 12 + timer expired — forearms!

Let-me-ups (inverted bodyweight rows) with supinated grip
1 + 2 + . . . 6 + 7 + 6 + 5 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + timer expired — one fewer set than last time, for some reason

Let-me-ins (towel rows) with palms up
1 + 2 + . . . 10 + 11 + timer expired

Afternoon: PLP

For P & P always explosive up, 1-2-sec pause, 6-sec eccentric; for L always 6-sec pause at bottom each side

Day 9: Supinated grip: 6 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 3 (22)

Despite a reasonable night’s sleep, I just could not wake up today. I slept in the bath, on the couch, in bed . . . in fact, I could practically fall aslZzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

4 Likes

88,6 kg

Morning — Round 5, Week 3, Day 4: Core supersets

Warm-up

V-ups:
5.8@7 good
5.8@8 good
&
Russian twists:
12@8 stiff
12@10 not good

Supermans (stretch during rest before set):
5.8@8 stiff
5.8@8 stiff
&
Swimmers:
12.4@8 stiff
12.4@8

Bicycles:
5.4@9 stiff
5.4@9 a little better
&
Leg lifts with hands on chest:
12.8@9 good
12.8@9 good

For P & P always explosive up, 1-2-sec pause, 6-sec eccentric; for L always 6-sec pause at bottom each side

Day 10: Pronated grip: 6 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 3 (23)

The first set is always the hardest. Relatively good strength today.

3 Likes

89,0 kg

Morning — Round 5, Week 3, Day 5: Stappers

Warm-up

As many cycles as possible in 20 minutes with no rest:

10 alternating back lunges
8 Let-me-ins (towel rows)
6 Push-ups

Did 10 rounds with about 30 seconds to spare, so finished an 11th as well. Good strength, good concentration, good pace, good form.

Day 11: Pronated grip: 6 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 (24)

4 Likes

87,9 kg

Yesterday was a programmed rest day and my shoulders and elbows were niggling, so I took the day off as scheduled. I’m glad I did because strength and energy today were amazingly good! One of the best days I’ve had yet!

Morning — Round 5, Week 4, Day 1: Push supersets

1 set of each superset + rest = 4 minutes. Explosive concentrics, pause at “top”, slow eccentrics

Warm-up

Push-ups with feet elevated:
5.8@7 good!
5.8@8 good!
&
Shove-offs:
12@8
12@8 good!

Military press with hands raised:
5.8@7 good
5.8@8 good
&
Thumbs-up:
12.4@8 good
12.4@8

Close-grip push-ups on floor:
5.8@7 amazingly good!
5.8@10 good!
&
Seated dips:
12.4@9 good!
10.4@10 tough but amazingly good!

On the last set of dips, I think I glimpsed briefly through the portal of burning (good) anterior shoulder pain to what lies beyond. I’m curious to know more . . .

Day 13: Neutral grip: 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 (25)

This was fantastically good too (of course, the neutral grip helps). If only all days could be like this!

4 Likes

As wonderful a day as I had today, I learned later that while I was having one of the best physical and mental experiences of my life, just 400 metres away from me, an acquaintance and fellow entrepreneur was committing suicide.

His wife has lost her partner; his small children, their daddy.

If you are reading this and are struggling, please, please reach out for help. Please don’t let it come to this.

Really sorry to hear of this, my friend. Our hearts go out to his family.

1 Like

Sorry to see that. These things can really shake you to the core. My life and the way I see the world was dramatically and tragically changed by my mother’s suicide when I was a kid.

Such a tragedy in so many ways.

1 Like

89,5 kg

Morning: Round 5, Week 4, Day 2: Leg interval sets

Warm-up

Each set + rest = 3 minutes

Bulgarian split squats
12.5@8
12.5@8
12.5@8

Side lunges
12.4@7 stiff
12.4@7 better ROM
12.4@7 better

Squats with 4- to 6-sec pause at bottom
12.9@8
12.9@8,5 good, slightly wider stance
12.9@8,5 good

1-legged RDLs on pillow
12.8@9
12.8@8,5
12.8@9,5

Day 14: Neutral grip: 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 4 (26)

Despite a terrible night’s sleep, today’s work went rather well. There will be DOMS tomorrow (glutes & quads).

3 Likes

89,6 kg

Morning: Round 5, Week 4, Day 3: Tabatas

Warm-up

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
8 x 8 added a rep per set for a nice forearm burn

Bam-bams
8 x 4

Towel curls
8 x 3.4

Day 15: Pronated grip: 7 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 4 (27)

Took the day off work today. Added some gentle stretching after this morning’s workout to try to improve my posture (kyphotic). I’m not sure how much improvement is really possible, given that I have a desk job, but it seems worth giving it a try. I’ll try to do something small every day.

Had a nap this afternoon, which made the PLP afterwards a bit lethargic. But it all went well in the end.

3 Likes

88,2 kg

Morning — Round 5, Week 4, Day 4: Core ladders

Warm-up

Crunch-it-ups
1 + 2 + . . . + 9 + 10 + 9 + 8 + timer expired
Went higher up the ladder this time.

Hyperextensions with arms out at sides
1.4 + 2.4 + . . . + 9.4 + 10.4 + timer expired

Leg lifts with hands on chest and 4-sec hold at top
1.8 + 2.8 + . . . + 7.8 + 8.8 + 7.8 + timer expired
Added an extra set coming down the ladder.

Hyperextensions with lower body only and 3-sec hold at top
1.4 + 2.4 + . . . + 9.4 + 10.4 + timer expired

Day 16: Pronated grip: 7 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 4 (28)

Added some thoracic stretching after each of today’s workouts. Still have awful DOMS (glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors) after Thursday’s leg day, but managed to hobble my way through it all.

3 Likes

88,3 kg

Morning — Round 5, Week 4, Day 5: Stappers

Warm-up

As many cycles as possible in 20 minutes with no rest:

10 alternating back lunges
8 Let-me-ins (towel rows)
6 Push-ups

Did 10 rounds, just as the timer expired. Wanted an 11th, so I did it anyway. Good, steady pace, good strength, good energy.

Finished up with some thoracic stretching.

Day 17: Supinated grip: 7 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 (29)

This one was a bit of a struggle. I’m feeling good, but fairly thrashed by this week. Shoulders and elbows are needing a break, and the DOMS in my legs are slowly subsiding, so I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s programmed rest day.

Happy Hallowe’en! Mua-ha-ha-ha! :ghost:

5 Likes

After 20 weeks on the same training block, I couldn’t face a 21st, so I decided to summon some courage, level up, and start a new one. This scares me a little because there are some exercises coming up in later training blocks at this level that I’m not strong enough to do yet.

But it’s time to lay the foundation, and since my pressing is weak, and some forms of pulling are weak as well (inverted bodyweight rows, that means you!), I decided to start a block of low-intensity (nothing to failure) but high-volume ladders to work on these things.

The flexibility in my hip flexors has improved dramatically over the past 20 weeks, also thanks to targeted warm-ups and stretching each day, but I still have a long way to go. For the leg and core days, I’ll focus on exercises that help increase strength and range of motion.

All of this is designed to prepare for when things get very ugly later (military press with feet raised, for example, and dips, and one-legged squats).

But for now, I’m on a two-day split (push/pull and legs/core) that repeats, for a total of four training days per week. In addition, I’m hoping to keep chipping away at the PLP, but I might need to lower the volume there a bit, depending on joints and recovery. We’ll see. I’ll take one day per week off completely. And then, just to try out some new things, perhaps I’ll pick some lighter, fun exercises to do on the other recovery days, depending on the intensity of the PLP at that moment.

I don’t have a plan so much a s sketch of a plan, so I have no idea how long I’ll be running this training block. Ideal would be to get to 12 reps on the ladder for each exercise, but that rarely happens for all of them all at the same time, so I’m playing it by ear for now.

(And yes, if it sounds like I’m a complete novice, pretending to know what I’m doing here, that’s because that’s exactly what’s happening.)

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re headed in the right direction, then.

I’m excited to see where this takes you!

2 Likes

88,3 kg

Morning — Round 1, Week 1, Day 1: Push/pull ladders

Warm-up

7,5-minute timer per exercise

Push-ups
1 + 2 + . . . + 6 + 5 + . . . + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + timer expired (51)

Let-me-ups (inverted bodyweight rows)
1 + . . . + 5 + 4 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + timer expired
(40)

Military press (with hands raised on second step)
1 + . . . + 5 + 4 + . . . 1 + 2 + . . . + 4 + 3 + . . . + 1 + 2 + timer expired (42)

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
1 + 2 + . . . + 10 + 11 + timer expired (66)

This went better than I expected, given how nervous I was feeling about it.

Day 19: Supinated grip: 8 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 (30)

Good energy, strength okay.

2 Likes

Thanks! The encouragement means a lot! :heart:

1 Like

88,3 kg

Morning — Round 1, Week 1, Day 2: Leg/core ladders

Warm-up

Alternating back lunges with 1- to 3-sec pause at bottom
1.8 + . . . + 6.8 + timer expired (21 each side)

Alternating 1-legged RDLs
1 + . . . + 10 + timer expired (55 each side). Cut rest periods short.

Toyotas with 1- to 3-sec pause at bottom
1 + . . . + 11 + timer expired (66). Gradual improvement in ROM.

Hyperextensions with arms at sides, 3-sec hold at top
1 + . . . + 9 + timer expired (45)

5,5-minute thoracic stretch

Despite being short of sleep, I woke up bursting with energy today. All the usual aches and pains were gone, as if I had taken an anti-inflammatory (which I had not). I wish I knew what caused this because I would love this every day!

The workout just flew by effortlessly . . .

Day 20: Pronated grip: 8 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 5 (31)

. . . and then all came crashing down again this afternoon. Every set was a fight. But I got there in the end.

4 Likes

88,3 kg

Morning

Programmed rest day today, which was just as well because today was a low day for me, health-wise.

Day 21: Pronated grip: 8 + 7 + 6 + 6 + 5 (32)

Finished up with 5 minutes of thoracic stretching. Did this yesterday too, but forgot to log it.

This was a struggle. Low strength and low energy today (my grip kept failing me). But pushed through and got it done.

EDIT: Oops! Fixed the date.

2 Likes

88,1 kg

Morning — Round 1, Week 1, Day 3: Push/pull ladders

Warm-up

Push-ups
1 + 2 + . . . + 6 + 5 + . . . + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2f + 1 + timer expired (49)

1 + . . . + 5 + 4 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + timer expired
(49)

1 + . . . + 7 + 6 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + timer expired (54)

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
1 + . . . + 12 + timer expired (78)

5 minutes of thoracic stretching

Except for the push-ups, which were 2 reps short of last time, improved on everything this time around.

Day 22: Neutral grip: 8 + 7 + 7 + 6 + 5 (33)

• 5 minutes of thoracic stretching.

Tried out @SvenG and kdjohn’s tip about doing the pull-ups with eyes closed. Definitely helps focus on form and ROM. I’m keeping this. Thank you!

2 Likes

89,9 kg

Morning — Round 1, Week 1, Day 4: Leg/core ladders

Warm-up

Alternating side lunges with 1- to 3-sec pause at bottom
1.8 + . . . + 7.8 + timer expired (28 each side). Cut rest periods short.

Alternating 1-legged RDLs
1 + . . . + 9 + timer expired (45 each side). Cut rest periods short.

Toyotas with 1- to 3-sec pause at bottom
1 + . . . + 11 + 10 + 9 + timer expired (85). Gradual improvement in ROM. Forgot the pause at bottom. Next week will look very different.

Russian twists
1 + . . . + 7 + 6 + . . . + 1 + 2 + . . . + 5 + timer expired (63). Crampy.

Day 23: Neutral grip: 8 + 8 + 7 + 6 + 5 (34)

5 minutes of thoracic stretching.

Did both pull-ups and push-ups with eyes closed today. I like it!

I definitely repeatedly hit a wall at Day 23 of this rep scheme with the pauses and slow eccentrics I’m doing. I could probably grind out Day 24 with neutral or supinated grip, but no way with pronated grip.

So it’s back to Day 13 for me this time, and I’ll climb the mountain again (it’ll just be a shorter climb this time).

I’d like to try keeping the volume up a little higher than going back to Day 7 would do. But I’m struggling with these so much — really giving everything I’ve got — that lowering the volume a bit might make more sense. I’m just going to try it and see how it goes. If it’s too much, it’s too much and I’ll adjust things again.

3 Likes

88,7 kg

Morning — Round 1, Week 2, Day 1: Push/pull ladders

Warm-up

Push-ups
1 + 2 + . . . + 6 + 5 + . . . + 1 + . . . + 4 + 3 + . . . + 1 + . . . + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + timer expired (60) — significant improvement on last time

1 + . . . + 5 + 4 + . . . 1 + . . . + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2f + 1 + 2 + timer expired
(50) — one more than last time

1 + . . . + 7 + 6 + . . . 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + timer expired (57) — improved on last time

Let-me-ins (towel rows)
1 + . . . + 12 + timer expired (78)

Day 13: Pronated grip: 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 (25)

5 minutes of thoracic stretching.

Achy, creaky joints today, despite the fact that I take magnesium and vitamin D3 (amongst others) daily. This morning went well; this afternoon was more of a struggle than it should have been. Some days are like that, I suppose . . .

4 Likes