Keeping Muscle and Running

I am running upwards of 20-25 miles per week (today I ran 7 miles) and I’m doing it at a relatively high pace (my per mile pace was 7:35 today for all 7 miles).

According to the treadmill it says I burned about 750 calories in this time. I am eating a lot of protein and took in a lot of BCAAs immediately after the run. I’m also on Carbolin 19.

I’m getting ready for OCS, as I’ve mentioned many times before, so I have to run this much if I am to go to Quantico in proper shape. I just wonder how much I need to be eating to maintain my muscle mass. I weigh 170 right now and need to weigh myself again, since I haven’t weighed in since I began upping the mileage (a month ago).

I’m definitely getting enough protein and fat, but I wonder about carbs. I’m eating 200-250 grams of protein a day and carbs are probably only around 150-200. Fat is high enough with the meat, Flameout, and occasional muscle milk.

I am making strength gains and I got jogging after I workout sometimes for a couple of km’s. Not near what you are doing but…
I drink the recipe from Nutrient timing before going running though, I bet it is helping me.

I have to run as part of my Unit’s PT program. I’d say I run about 10-15 miles a week on mon, wed, and friday.

What has helped me continue to add mass has just simply been eating additional calories that day before and after the run, in the form of sweet tarts and BCAA’s. It works for me, at least.

Sounds like you’re doing great prep for OCS. I used a similiar program to what you’re doing right now before I went to Quantico and I had no problem holding on to mass.

Once at Quantico it was another story. The one meat policy at the chow hall cost me a lot of quality protein. Keep it up, the more mass you show up with the more you may have after the the 10 weeks. Good Luck.

[quote]rdgbigflyer wrote:
Sounds like you’re doing great prep for OCS. I used a similiar program to what you’re doing right now before I went to Quantico and I had no problem holding on to mass.

Once at Quantico it was another story. The one meat policy at the chow hall cost me a lot of quality protein. Keep it up, the more mass you show up with the more you may have after the the 10 weeks. Good Luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. At this point, I sure hope that i’ll be in the shape I need to be in to be successful at Quantico. I ship in less than a month and I’m beginning to get nervous about it.

I have my pre-ship PFT tomorrow at 9 AM. Apparently the OSO shortens the run so that it ensures none of us fail, so it’s pretty much a formaility; however, even when I just go out and jog now I’m running at a PFT-passing pace. I’m not worried about passing, I just want my time to be as impressive as possible.

Also, maybe some of you know the answer to this? The Marine Corps and I think the military has banned the use of Under Armour due to the fact that it melts to the skin if it burns from an explosive’s heat. However, Elite Issue now has a USMC approved line of anti-microbial and melting-resistant Under Armour-like apparel. Is this okay to bring to Quantico to wear under PT gear?

Thanks you.