T Nation

Keeping Hold of Gains

I read somewhere on this site, in a post or article or whatever, that bulking up for too short a period of time ( say intensively for 6-8 weeks) followed by dieting down ( cutting carbs and overall calories, more cardio etc) will not yield good results. I seem to remember something along the lines of you’ve got to bulk up for a longer period of time i.e. 8 months then maintain it for a bit before dieting down if you want to hold onto your gains? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Youve about explained it yourself. Professor X has talked about this numerous times and I agree completely as Ive experienced both scenarios myself (quick bulk/cuts vs bulks with long maintainence/cuts). Personally I think its the length of the maintainence thats more important rather than the length of the bulk. Doesnt matter so much how long it took you to build the muscle, just that you have to hang on to that new size for a significant amount of time before dieting, so that your body accepts that this new muscle is 100% necessary.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
Personally I think its the length of the maintainence thats more important rather than the length of the bulk. Doesnt matter so much how long it took you to build the muscle. [/quote]

I agree and disagree

If you were really building a lot muscle in a short period of time i’d agree, but it isnt the case

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
Personally I think its the length of the maintainence thats more important rather than the length of the bulk. Doesnt matter so much how long it took you to build the muscle. [/quote]

I agree and disagree

If you were really building a lot muscle in a short period of time i’d agree, but it isnt the case
[/quote]
Semantics?

Lets just say you spend 6 months building some muscle. What most important now is that you hang on to and use that muscle for a significant amount of time before trying to lean up.

The best way to maintain muscle is the same way you built it. Even if I was paranoid of losing to much over a given amount of time I would make sure leucine/creatine where optimally dosed to retain as much as possible. IMO being in a caloric deficit or an isocaloric state is where creatine is even more paramount.

EDIT : Leucine would be about 25 % of my total amino pool if I was cutting