Keeping a Healthy Back

My three tips would be:

1. Learn to use your glutes and abs correctly (as said above)

2. Work on your hip mobility (as said above)

3. One-arm kettlebell swings (probably no one else will say this lol, but I swear by it)

Regarding the one-arm swings no other exercise hits my erectors as effectively and also as safely. One-arm variations are far superior to two-arm equivalents for back health because as well as the hip extension you have to fight the rotational forces. Initially you’ll be limited by things like technique and maybe grip, but if you put the time into building up to heavy weights - 32kg or more - you’ll reap huge rewards. In addition to physically strengthening the erectors, glutes and hamstrings swings are a great tool for teaching yourself to fire your glutes and abs correctly.

I really hurt my back several years ago, and for a very long time I couldn’t sit in a car for more than 20min without having unbearable pain. Points 1 and 2 helped get rid of the pain and point 3 has certainly bulletproofed me from the same thing happening again (touch wood).

The kettlebell swings sounds like a good idea, will have to try that.
I tried doing sumo deadlifts today for the first time, it seems like a good exercise to learn how to use the glutes, and hip hinging with a neutral spine. Wondering if my tight inner thighs also has something to do with my poor hip- and spine mechanics?

It’s hard to see from the video angle but maybe you could play around with putting your feet a bit wider? It might help getting rid of that butt wink at the bottom of your squat which might be what causes the lower back pain you experience. As well as glute activation and pushing your knees outwards properly.

Lower back pain also isn’t always caused by exercising, it seems quite common actually. People pull their back when picking up a pen. You might want to go through mentally on how you sit in your chair and what movements you do throughout the day, at work, etc. Stuart McGill says that 80% of all back pain complaints can be prevented by simply being extra carefull after waking up, when the spine is extra vulnerable and you have to get on your shoes and socks and stuff. His big 3 exercises you can probably also do without any harm and there’s a good chance it can help you, I think.

What kind of exercise are you doing at the moment? You also probably don’t want to do squats and deadlifts till failure. And no exercises that cause movement in the spine (such as sit-ups) on the same day you do squats and deadlifts

[quote]matias95 wrote:
I filmed myself doing some light high-bar squats, the only thing I don’t like is how my spine is arching when getting out of the hole, instead of being stationary. And for some reason I can’t make myself stop doing that. On heavier sets my hips seem to shoot up and my back gets in a more horizontal position. [/quote]

Looks like your shifting the weight onto the balls of your feet as you descend. It will take stress off your back to keep your balance back more toward your heels.

Thanks for input, I’m gonna pay attention to where the weight is on the feet next time. I have been experimenting a bit with different cues like gripping the floor with my feet and spreading it apart, to activate gluteus medius if I’m not mistaken. Also trying to improve my breathing. Sometimes I’m having trouble taking a big breath before the lift.