T Nation

Keep Wt the Same or Increase Each Set?

Just reading one of dorian yates routines the other day and noticed he did an ascending pyramid kind of technique.
e.g 15 reps with 120lbs, 12 reps with 240lbs, 8 reps with 450lbs or something like that.
Just wondering what would be good about this kind of technique instead of just multiple setting with the same weight and reps.

Doesn’t really matter. But unless you are dorian yates, this program probably isn’t for you.

EDIT: Um… I’ll give you a better answer actually. Here is my opinion. If you are going to add weight on the bar each workout/week, then the method of multiple sets with the same weight may be better. But if you are just going to warm-up and push as hard as you can, then pyramiding may be better.

EX: 135x5, 185x5, 250x3, 300 x 10,10,10,10

Week 2: 135x5, 185x5, 255x3, 305 x 10,10,10,10

OR

135x15, 185x12, 250x8, 300x6, 325x4

I personally like the first method better, because you warmup to your working weight and then the majority of your reps are done at the working weight. I feel that the second method just has too many reps that are too light, and by the time you get to your working weight you are already tired. (Now I know this isn’t the only way of pyramiding, but thats how a lot of peopel would do it)

It could look more like this:

Warmup sets… 300x12, 315x10, 325x8, 335x6, etc.

That would be more effective in my opinion, and then its kinda just a decision you make. The first method seems more controlled to me, and easier to add weight each week. The second method is more chaotic, and can easiliy over tax you if you are taking too many sets too failure. But the second method may be better if you dont need as much volume, and need to use heavier loads

***Maybe start with the first method, to get some volume in while you are growing, and then switch over to pyramiding to get the weights up.

[quote]5repset wrote:
Just reading one of dorian yates routines the other day and noticed he did an ascending pyramid kind of technique.
e.g 15 reps with 120lbs, 12 reps with 240lbs, 8 reps with 450lbs or something like that.
Just wondering what would be good about this kind of technique instead of just multiple setting with the same weight and reps.[/quote]

I’ve been doing the ‘yates’ style type of training where i increase weight each set to a top set for the past 6 months and have made very good gains (40lbs wt gain, more than doubled my lifts).

I’m thinking of increasing the volume by using the same weight (or a similar weight) for a few sets in a row to give my joints a rest and perhaps stimulate some more muscle growth.

Oh dear god, please not this again.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Doesn’t really matter. But unless you are dorian yates, this program probably isn’t for you.[/quote]

This type of quote is no doubt influced by all the articles saying how you shouldn’t train like a bodybuilder unless you are on drugs.

Well, the volume is pretty low, the exercises are basic, muscles are hit at a good frequency… it’s a good program for anyone.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Oh dear god, please not this again.[/quote]

What else is there to talk about when it comes to training? lol

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

LOL good sense of Deja Vu round here

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

x2

Do whatever the fuck you want.

[quote]forlife wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

x2[/quote]

x3, this comes up every week.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
forlife wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

x2

x3, this comes up every week.[/quote]

x4 and they still don’t learn. They make this so complicated that discussing it is a fucking chore and a waste of time.

Damn I’m glad I grew up right before the internet stripped every kid of their nutsack.

Not what again?

[quote]5repset wrote:
Not what again?[/quote]

Not you again. As you can see we’re all tired of your incessant posting and we all wish you would just go away forever.

For-ev-ver.

[quote]5repset wrote:
Not what again?[/quote]

Not these toes again. We HATE these toes.

you guys make me laugh your so bitchy.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
5repset wrote:
Not what again?

Not these toes again. We HATE these toes.[/quote]

X, I didn’t know they let you take your shoes off in the operating room.

HOLY CRAP

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Professor X wrote:
5repset wrote:
Not what again?

X, I didn’t know they let you take your shoes off in the operating room.[/quote]

Hey…I have nice feet. I also like nice feet on women. Women with nasty feet are a big turn off for me…which is what this thread is about now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:
Professor X wrote:
5repset wrote:
Not what again?

X, I didn’t know they let you take your shoes off in the operating room.

Hey…I have nice feet. I also like nice feet on women. Women with nasty feet are a big turn off for me…which is what this thread is about now.[/quote]

hahahah I saw that second picture and though a slug was crawling into her foot.

As long as we’re talking about feet, I love a women with good feet. Being able to show them off in sandle/open shoes/whatever is sexy.

I might be picky, but I need to be comfortable with every part of a girl. Nice hands, feet, face, body etc… As long as she takes good care of herself, I’m happy.

But if she neglects one area, then it’s all I can think of. Cleanliness=sexiness in my book.