• 115x5
  • 130x5

Hang P. C&PP

• 3x5 @ 135

B. Squat

• 200x5
  • 230x5
  • 265x5
  • 3x8 @ 200 (2020 tempo, constant tension)

G. Morning

• 120x5
  • 140x5
  • 155x5
  • 120x12 (2020 tempo, constant tension)

Pull-ups (2020 tempo, constant tension)

• 3x8 @ BW

Notes:

• Simple break-in week this week to get the nervous system fired up again. Taking a week off last week was so great while visiting family. Very soul-restoring.
  • The good mornings were supposed to have a 2x12 back-off, but my wife called to say hi (she and my kid are still with my family at the moment), and I’d rather talk to her than do another set.
  • I also did some rearranging of my weekly training schedule. “Max” strength work is only 2x/week now, while still fitting in almost everything necessary. Strength/power endurance is 2x/week also, with a slightly different progression. The rest of my blocks are all geared towards aerobic endurance and are back to using a (slightly modified) Tactical Barbell approach. A 3:4 ratio of endurance to strength fits what I want far more, and this layout allows a lot more wiggle room in scheduling my training throughout the week so it doesn’t dominate my life so much; training is, for me, about maximizing my ability to live life, not arranging my life to maximize my training. I was creeping towards the opposite again, and I dislike it.
5 Likes

06/09/2021
AEROBIC ENDURANCE

Start time: 1920

Stationary bike

• 1 hour

Notes:

• Boring, but useful.
3 Likes

07/09/2021
MUSCULAR ENDURANCE

Start time: 1200

Double DB C&J

• 2x2 min, 2 min rest @ 50

Superset, 2x50

• RFESS/FFESS (25/25)
  • high-low band rows

Notes:

• The DB C&J and snatch progression is going to follow the Hungarian Oak Leg Blast, but two sets instead of one; I’ll eventually be progressing up to 2x8 min rounds, which might be suicide, but let’s do something crazy, shall we?
  • I’ll probably need to add a few pounds to the split squats, and maaaaybe up the band size on the rows. The other superset will be RFE deadlifts and FFESS, and push-ups.
3 Likes

07/09/2021
RECOVERY

Start time: 1840

Yoga

• 50 minutes

Notes:

• Feels good, man. Love me some yoga.
4 Likes

fixed that for you

2 Likes

They are hella comfortable.

1 Like

I always preferred those baggy 90’s bodybuilder gym pants

1 Like

08/09/2021
STRENGTH

Start time: 1300

2-point sprint + L&R lateral shuffle

• 2x5m + 5m L&R
  • SS W/ 2x5 pitching throws/arm

Hang P. Snatch

• 3x5 @ 100

P. C&J

• 135x5
  • 155x5
  • 180x5

Bench

• 140x5
  • 160x5
  • 180x5

CGBP (4020 tempo, constant tension)

• 3x8 @ 140

1-arm DB rows

• 2x25/arm @ 100

Notes:

• I’m rip-roaring ready for the next block next week. Decided that all supplemental work will be a slight variation on the main lift, but still at the same weight; I’ll manipulate reps/sets (still within the 25-total-reps range) and tempo to make them harder or easier. Main work will just focus on speed and form, while supplemental will address weaknesses (as it should).
  • Those DB rows were killer. The ROM isn’t that big because 1) DB rows don’t have a huge ROM naturally, and 2) I loaded my handle with 25lbs plates. Still, it made for a great way to overload my back — specifically my lats — and pump it up huge.
4 Likes

!!!

Don’t know what to say about that, but… It just had to be highlighted. Nice work!

Full disclosure: I’m using straps. My grip ain’t that good.

Never mind straps, man. My back/biceps ain’t that good!

08/09/2021
AEROBIC ENDURANCE

Start time: 1845

Stationary bike

• 18km

Plank n’ Shank (elbow plank & Superman hold)

• 3x1 min each, no rest

Notes:

• Not much to say.
4 Likes

12/09/2021
MUSCULAR ENDURANCE

Start time: 1130

Single DB snatch

• 5/side @ 55, EMOM for 15 minutes

Circuit; 1 min between exercises, 5 min between sets, 2x50

• DB RFESS (right) @ 25
  • DB partial laterals @ 25’s
  • DB RFESS (left) @ 25
  • DB hammer curls @ 25’s

Notes:

• DB power endurance work needed to change, because I wanted something that didn’t have a strict progression to eliminate any stress of potentially needing to skip a session; the name of the game right now is primarily endurance, with a high level of programming flexibility. Training should be physically stressful, not mentally.
  • That endurance circuit about killed me, but was exactly what’s been missing. We used to do shit like that in martial arts all the time and were fit as fiddles. Progression will be slowly eliminating rest between exercises, then adding a third round during the Anchor block. I had to lay of the floor with my feet in the air after, because I kept getting light headed whenever I’d bend down and stand up again while cleaning my gym.
3 Likes

Muscular Endurance

Man that shit just rolls off the tongue

1 Like

13/09/2021
STRENGTH

Start time: 1315

2-point sprint & quick deceleration stop + sharp cut

• 1x5 @ 5m + 5m Left
  • 1x5 @ 5m + 5m Right
  • SS W/ med ball slams, 2x5

P. Snatch

• worked up to 155x1

Hang P. C&PP

• 3x8 @ 145

B. Squat

• 220x5
  • 250x5
  • 280x5

CGBP (3020 tempo, constant tension)

• 3x8 @ 150

Dips (2020 tempo, constant tension)

• 2x12 @ +25

Chins

• 5x5 @ +25

Notes:

• That speed drill at the start was awesome. I’ve been randomizing the drill for the day by rolling dice and pick one starting variable, and two COD variables. This felt like the ultimate juking drill; sprint and quickly stop, then suddenly cut to one side.
  • I can tell I’m definitely a strength-based weightlifter and not a speed-based one, because the power snatches felt easy enough, but by golly were they ever slow.
  • Chins were rough today. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done weighted chins, and it showed. My previous 7-6-5-4-3 pattern was too heavy, so rather than cut the weight I cut reps. I’ll bump reps as this block progresses.
2 Likes

13/09/2021
AEROBIC ENDURANCE

Start time: 1915

Stationary bike

• 18km

Superset, 2x12

• Standing barbell twist L&R @ 120
  • HLR

Notes:

• Aerobic endurance session will always be a random swap between running and biking, because of either my kid, or one of my dogs. Our oldest dog, because of his long and convoluted history I won’t get into here, has crazy separation anxiety, and we try not not to leave him alone if we can help it. With my wife not getting home until later tonight, it’s up to me to watch him. I don’t mind, though. I always put the bike on max tension and try to push the distance as fast as possible, so I still get a good workout.
2 Likes