• worked up to +25x5
  • 2x5 @ +10
  • 2x45 sec lat stretch

Weighted dips (myo-reps)

• 12+3+3+2 @ +30

Inverted rows (myo-reps)

• 15+5+5+5+5+4 @ BW

Notes:

• Good session. Nothing special to report.
4 Likes

25/07/2021 PART 2

Start time: 2015
Outside temp: 29C

Running

• 6.3km

Yoga

• 20 minutes

Notes:

• Legs were in it, lungs were a little shot though. Also, I had a nice cool breeze on the way out to the turn point, but a gross warm one on the way back. Not fun.
  • I’ll expand more tomorrow in one of my regular self-flagellating tirades, but I need to do more yoga. Mobility/flexibility has been sorely missed in my training breakdown and I’m feeling something fierce.
2 Likes

Me too. @kleinhound reminded me of this in his log a few weeks back, but I promptly forgot. Gonna have to figure out how to carve out some time for this. There was a time when Mrs. SvenG was into it, and even the kiddos. Maybe I can make it a family thing…

1 Like

Do it, man!

1 Like

25/07/2021

Start time: 1200
Outside temp: 29C

Band leg curls

• 50 reps

Running

• 2km out
  • 10 hill sprints
  • 2km back

Yoga

• 20 min

Notes:

• I love the combination of running and yoga — which I know makes me sound like a basic bitch. Both are extremely meditative and require a big focus on breathing. I always feel thoroughly thrashed in the best way after something like this.
  • Self-flagellation time: I want to shift my focus towards a greater chunk of my training being endurance. I like endurance work. I always have. But I’ve let the prevailing opinion of “Weights are best” get in the way. Who gives a shit! It’s my training. I want to be stronger than the runners, and faster than the lifters. So I’m gonna do that. I think I can drop my lifting down to just main and supplemental work for my “big 5”, followed by 1 assistance exercise for which ever lifts I’m focusing on for that block. The remainder of the lifting sessions will be those DB C&J or snatch conditioning sessions, because they torch both my lungs and muscles, especially if I start adding weight. The rest of my work will be running and sprinting, or rucking and indoor bike if the weather doesn’t allow running.
7 Likes

26/07/2021

Start time: 1145
Garage temp: 22C

P. Snatch

• 100x5
  • 115x5
  • 130x5

B. Squat

• 200x5
  • 230x5
  • 265x5

P. C&J

• 3x5 @ 135

Bench (constant tension)

• 3x15 @ 140

Double DB C&J

• 5x90 sec, 2.5 min rest @ 50

Notes:

• Now this, THIS is the kinda shit I like. Lifting was concise and to the point, and the conditioning on the tail end just roasted me. Muscles on fire, heart pounding out of my chest. Perfect.
4 Likes

Get after it, my man! Nice work.

1 Like

Welcome friend… Even if I start with squatting, myw arm-up will be some hamstring shit even if it cannot be considered a working set. Really helps

That’s really great jerking (no pun intended ahahah)

Embrace it :joy:

Exactly… I feel the same, I want to be a jack of all trades.

1 Like

26/07/2021 PART 2

Start time: 2015
Garage temp: 24C

20 minutes

• 2 min bike
  • 20 alternating KB swings @ 24kg/53lbs
  • 2 min bike
  • 10 KB snatches/side @ 24kg/53lbs
  • Repeat

Super set, 2x15

• Kneeling ab wheel
  • 45° side bends (both sides)

Yoga

• 15 minutes

Notes:

• Quick and effective.
2 Likes

28/07/2021

Start time: 1345
Garage temp: 22C

Good morning

• 2x12 @ 170

B. Squat

• 3x15 @ 200

Bench

• 140x5
  • 160x5
  • 180x5

Chins

• 25 total @ BW

Alternating DB snatch

• 4x2 min, 3 min rest @ 50

Notes:

• Not my best showing. I kept getting interrupted by every little thing imaginable, so this workout took almost 90 minutes. I was supposed to do 5 rounds of DB snatches, but after round 4 my dog ripped his nail right off digging too hard, so that promptly ended things.
3 Likes

I cringed when I read this. ouch.

It’s pretty gross.

29/07/2021

Start time: 1245
Garage temp: 19C

P. Snatch

• 3x5 @ 100

P. C&J

• 135x5
  • 155x5
  • 180x5

Weighted chins

• +25x7
  • “ x6
  • “ x5
  • “ x4
  • “ x3

Tricep bar pullover press (myo-reps)

• 10+3+3+2 @ 95

Double DB C&J

• 5x90 sec, 2.5 min rest @ 50

Notes:

• Decent session. I’m toying with putting the clean and strict press and heavy curls as main movements, and only have main/supplemental work, and just allow the various movements to benefit each other. At this point, I just don’t care about assistance work. I want to do my main movements and conditioning and that’s it.
2 Likes

02/08/2021

Start time: 1215
Garage temp: 18C

P. Snatch

• 115x5
  • 130x5
  • 145x5

B. Squat

• 230x5
  • 270x5
  • 295x5

P. C&J

• 3x5 @ 155

Bench

• 3x8 @ 180

EZ bar strict curl

• worked up to 105x5

Alternating DB snatch

• 3x2 min, 3 min rest @ 50

Notes:

• Another good session. Clean & press and strict curls are 100% making their way into training, especially after I found out that it’s a contested “odd” lift in some powerlifting federations, which I think is just wonderfully hilarious.
  • Diet and training is very dialled in right now, which makes me happy. I’ve added in 30 minutes on the bike every morning, followed by a cold shower, which is a combination that has me raring to go every day. My 3 barbell sessions a week, plus evening aerobic work is the best it’s ever been. Diet-wise, training days are 1.5-2 lbs of meat, 5-8 servings of fruits and veggies, a protein shake, 1-1.5 litres of whole milk, as well as about 80-100g of nuts, 250ml of yogurt, and either oats and bone broth or unbleached rye bread. The only difference on days that I don’t train (meaning work), are that I fast until lunch, and the amount of meat gets cut in half and replaced with another protein shake. Having this aspect of life locked in is a good feeling, and something I haven’t had since… I don’t even know.
6 Likes

Strict curl was in all 3 meets I did. Surprisingly, the guys that competed in that event would also do push/pull meets but never squat…

Outstanding news on the nutrition front. Getting that sorted is huge.

1 Like

I love it. And yeah, another thing I saw was that some meets either replace the squat with the curl, or give the option of squatting or curling. So funny.

02/08/2021 PART 2

Start time: 1815
Outside temp: 28C

Running

• 6.3km

Superset

• Standing barbell twist, 2x15/side @ 120
  • Kneeling ab wheel, 2x15

Notes:

• Probably shouldn’t have done this run, because the air right now is so smoky, the end of my block is slightly hazy. That, plus the heat and humidity, made this highly uncomfortable. My throat was a little raw by the time I was done.
  • Those standing barbell twists are hard as shit at that weight. Great way to get rotational strength through your core and hips, though.
2 Likes

We’ve been noticing it in South Dakota. But I think there’s some in Montana too, so it’s probably a combination. Could actually taste and smell the smoke the other day, can’t imagine what it’s like up there.

Same here. It’s not as bad as when I lived in BC, but Ontario is getting hit pretty hard right now due to lack of rain. BC is horrible every year, though. Much like California, the province is just on fire all through the summer and it rains ash. One thing I don’t miss from living there.

04/08/2021
Start time: 1245

Good morning (2020 tempo, no lockout)

• 2x12 @ 170

B. Squat (2020 tempo, no lockout)

• 3x8 @ 270

P. C&P

• up to 145x5

Bench

• 160x5
  • 180x5
  • 205x5

Chins (2020 tempo, constant tension)

• 25 total @ BW

Double DB C&J

• 3x90 sec, 2.5 min rest @ 50

Notes:

• Trying something new with my supplemental work. Slow tempos, no lockouts, so that the muscle is being worked hard, but looong rests. Holy fuck, is it ever hard. Those squats were tough. It’s a pretty proven blueprint for muscle building though, so it works out by allowing me to continue sticking to just my main movements, but not miss out on what I would normally do with assistance work.
3 Likes