T Nation

Kdjohn: How Much, How Many, How Fast, How Far

Cheesus. I just got (5) 3.5-pound loins for $20.

Yeah, I’m always blown away when I see meat prices in the US. But I think, think, our livestock rules are stricter? I know our dairy rules are. But don’t quote me because I might be talking out my ass.

1 Like

I do know that Canadian steak can sometimes make US steak look like canned chicken. There’s a few places in Kingston that are just stupid good.

1 Like

It’s very good and honestly, other than chicken breast cooked by a professional, it’s the only way I’ll eat it. It’s in the same aisle as all the other premade seasonings and marinades, brand is McCormick.

@kdjohn, makes sense now. I am spoiled. I live in central NY, right in the middle of Wegmans country. Biggest grocery chain in the NE states, and by far the best of any grocer I’ve been to in terms of selection.

2 Likes

Dialogue

I’d like some input from cops on the forum regarding this. It isn’t training related, but I don’t need the entire community weighing in because some of them are retards, so I’m posting it here.

@JMaier31 @kleinhound @mortdk feel free to tag any other cops you know of. This will be slightly lengthy but I would really appreciate some wisdom from those with experience.

For the longest time I didn’t want to be a cop. I’m in the security industry and get a wide variety of jobs to keep it interesting, and it was scratching my itch for safety and protection of the community. I have a strong sense of justice and care about rule of law, but over the last year some things changed and I decided I should pursue policing. I finally got my resume in a little while ago and am waiting to hear back.

There’s a guy I know who’s a retired cop and he’s kinda been “coaching” me and encouraging me as I’ve been mulling things over. He throws me scenarios to talk through from time to time, tells me how things work, and gives stories from his career to illustrate points. It’s been great… until we had a debate about a particular scenario he threw me last week.

He presented me the following question: “You pull over an erratic driver. It’s the chief, and she’s intoxicated. Do you arrest her?”

Me: “Yes. She’s breaking the law.”

Him: “NO! You would NEVER do that!”

Me: sitting in stunned silence

Him: “How about this: an old lady steals a cabbage. Would you arrest her? No, it’s $1 for a cabbage, there’s no need to arrest her. You’ll be asked questions like this to see if you’re flexible, to see if you can think for yourself. Remember, not everyone needs to be arrested.”

Me: “No, I wouldn’t arrest the old lady. You’re right, the $1 isn’t worth the time and paperwork. But the chief driving impaired isn’t comparable. Impaired driving is potentially deadly. Stealing a cabbage isn’t.”

The conversation basically summed up like this: he continued to state the chief shouldn’t be arrested, you’d just offer her a ride home, she’ll be glad to have you on her side, don’t arrest everyone, idealism is essentially pointless because one man can’t change the world.

I stated I know that not everyone has to be arrested, impaired driving isn’t comparable to a stolen cabbage, I believe no one is above the law ESPECIALLY those sworn to uphold it, she should have taken a cab or called a friend like a responsible human being instead of putting her life and other lives in danger.

I wish this was a made up conversation. I really do, but this was straight out of a cop’s mouth. The whole thing kinda disgusted me.

Is this really the mentality that exists within police forces?

Perhaps I’m just incredibly naive. Perhaps my belief in upholding the law, that no one is above the laws established by society, that the ability to be a force for justice and change is all just an impossible dream. My idea was to go into the police force and uphold to law, protect the community, and be a face people can trust.

If the above is the mentality that permeates the organization though, then I’m not sure I want to. I can’t bow the knee, and my worry is that I’d be chewed up and spit out immediately.

The drunk driving scenario is a common one, but I haven’t had it pop up in an interview. The majority of my department doesn’t care about DUI’s. The reality is that they’re not comfortable at running people through field testing. There’s also more paperwork than any other type of case and they’re a huge, but necessary pain in the ass.

Personally, if I catch you then it’s on you. I’ll do my job. I arrested one of our interns for DUI. The previous weekend she was on a ride along with one of my co-workers. He stopped a drunk and right before the breath test found out the guy was the brother of a Detective. They kicked him loose. This girl saw that special treatment and then got to experience the full effect of the law when I stopped her. I felt bad for her, but I did my job.

The theft scenario is actually much easier because the choice to prosecute is up to the victim. It’s not your call. If the victim wishes to be a victim then you write it up and do your job. If the victim doesn’t want to press charges then they get away with it. As an officer, you could speak to the victim and sway their decision one way or the other. I have yet to come across someone stealing because they’re in need. They’re just thieves.

I hope that another Officer never puts me in the situation of stopping them while driving drunk. I have my ethics and I’ll uphold the law. Shame on you for putting me in that position. I’ll work the case and call a supervisor and let them make the final call. But I will not slack off on my work. At my department, we have to get a supervisor’s approval for an arrest so I would do everything that I normally do up to that point and then let them be the one to make the decision. No one can ever accuse you of special treatment if you always do your job the right way.

It’s neat to talk to an old cop and all, but if they haven’t worked in the past 10 years then their experience is almost irrelevant. The world has changed so much since I started in 2010. It changes every year for us.

I don’t want to discourage you from becoming a cop, but it’s not the profession I hoped it would be. I wanted to catch bad guys, hold people accountable, and bring justice for the victim’s. I don’t get to do that very often. I can identify the bad guy, present the case, and nothing happens because the system is overworked and that particular bad guy isn’t bad enough to get their attention. It’s incredibly frustrating.

I can arrest someone on parole for felony crimes and they won’t even violate their parole and send them back to jail. It’s a losing battle.

If you think you’re going to change the world and do great things then you’ll be disappointed. On the flip side, if you can settle for being the source of comfort for citizens and be proud of doing your best and doing things the right way then you’ll be fine. Your biggest impact is with the citizens/victims. The way you treat them and make them feel will be unforgettable to them.

1 Like

This is where I stand. I would love to change the world in one giant swoop, but I recognize that doesn’t happen. If I can address the needs of my community (and in this town, having trustworthy cops is definitely a need), then I’ll be happy.

I’m not blind to the fact that the justice system is messed, and that I’ll get incredibly frustrated some days. But I just want to help people. I want to make people feel safe.

I appreciate your insight, man. Means a lot.

1 Like

Hey brother, in my department the brass is super hot on anti corruption and all of our alcotests are recorded and saved so there’s not too many ways around it anyway.

Being pretty fresh I’m super idealistic, but I’ve quickly come to appreciate how big a deal arresting someone is vs just reporting them.

I personally subscribe to what big J said. Just being a reasonable guy to EVERYONE…even the suspect’s, starts to heal that divide that can occur between the blue and everyone else.

Be nice, until it’s time to not be nice

2 Likes

But for what it’s worth, I fucking LOVE this job.

Can’t describe it, but the feeling I get every shift when I strap on the kit is amazing. It’s like a combination of waking up from a deep sleep, the moment pre-workout kicks in, and walking into the field to play a grand final all rolled into one.

1 Like

This is such solid advice, and what I try to emulate every day.

Appreciate the input!

1 Like

19/09/2020

Start time: 1025
Garage temp: 12C

Power clean & press

• worked up to 150x1
  • 5x10 @ 110, SS w/ 5x10 band dislocations

Keg carry

• 5x35m
  • Hamstring stretch, 1x60 sec

DB goblet squat

• 50 reps @ 50
  • Quad stretch, 1x60 sec

Pull-ups, 5 min AMRAP

• 37 reps
  • Lat stretch, 1x60 sec

LATER

Yoga

• 20 minutes

Notes:

• Mental and aerobic energy was there today, but my muscles were shot. Didn’t eat enough the day before, and we had poor weather roll in. It made my joints ache all down my arms and I think that contributed to the weakness.
  • Regarding nutrition, I’m gonna start adding in carbs to my breakfast on training days, and more carbs with dinner the night before my first day of training. With increased activity at work, my body’s been letting me know through intense craving that I need more carbs.
  • Regarding training, I need to start doing more yoga. I’m stiff and achy and I know it’s because I’ve not prioritized stretching like I used to. I’ve been doing 10-15 minutes of it before bed after work, but on my weekends I’m going to start doing at least 20 minutes later in the day. Preferably 30-45 minutes, though. This immobility I have right now is unacceptable in my mind.
  • Also, while I’m really enjoying my training right now, I wonder if I can boil it down even further. I’m been contemplating focusing on solely the barbell clean & jerk and heavy-ass farmer’s walks. The C&J is, in my mind, the ultimate exercise; you have a pull, a squat and a press all in one movement. Heavy farmer’s walks just make you an all-around badass. I’d fill in the gaps by keeping push-up and pull-up AMRAPS, running and some isolation band work.
  • Alternatively, I could focus on weightlifting for the lower body, gymnastics ring work for the upper body, and yoga for wellbeing. These three require an immense amount of body awareness, which I think is necessary, in my mind helps with my “Mission: Badass” goals. This and the above point are things to consider in the future.
  • Meals:

Morning: Banana, mixed fruit, 35g protein, 100ml whole milk, 3 eggs, 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 1 slice grain toast w/ PB

Post workout/afternoon: small serving shepherd’s pie, 35g protein, 150ml whole milk, handful of peanuts and raisins

Evening: big-ass nachos, 750ml whole milk. No bacon, @T3hPwnisher, because I couldn’t convince my wife, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Probably for the best: there’s no putting the genie back in that bottle.

You ever look into Dan John’s “one lift a day” program? It may be something that helps with the planning here.

1 Like

Just read the article. DJ really likes to come up with horrificly brutal training ideas.

I did something somewhat similar a couple years back. It was basically 5/3/1 with FSL, then my only assistance exercises were entirely related to the lift. So deadlift day might look like deadlift, 3-5x5 FSL, rack pulls/pause deads at the knee/barbell rows, then something like chins or shrugs supersetted with curls. To a lot of people it would be boring as hell, but I like it because my focus never shifted through different movement patterns. I could just get in the zone and destroy every aspect of a lift.

20/09/2020

Start time: 1410
Garage temp: 14C

Clean & power jerk

• worked up to 200x1
  • 2x5 @ 140 (oops, supposed to be SSL)
  • 3x5 @ 160 (that’s better), SS w/ 5x10 band dislocations

Push-ups, 5 min AMRAP

• 101 reps
  • Chest stretch, 1x60 sec

Running

• 3x400m repeats (run 400m, walk 400m), 13:00
  • Hamstring stretch, 1x60 sec

Walking lunges

• 50 reps L/R @ BW
  • Quad stretch, 1x60 sec

LATER

Yoga

• 45 minutes, general full body flexibility

Notes:

• Need to invest in some wrist wraps. My wrists are starting to feel the fact that every major barbell movement I’m doing is related to pressing, especially now that I’m getting into the SSL supplemental work. My shoulders feel better than ever, though! I’m attributing it to all the band dislocations I’ve been doing.
  • Beat my last 400m repeat time by 30 whole seconds, which is pretty awesome. That’s a huge improvement, AND I didn’t feel shit-kicked like the last time I did 400m.
  • These longer yoga sessions feel so good. However, some of the poses are nigh impossible because I’ve got thick thighs from lifting and short arms.
  • Meals below.

Morning: mixed fruit, 3 eggs, 35g protein, 100ml whole milk, 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup multigrain Cheerios

Post workout/afternoon: 35g protein, 150ml whole milk, 4 large carrots, 2 mini cucumbers

Evening: 1/3 lb pork/beef burger, beef & mung bean chilli, 200g (roughly) beef tortellini, 2 slices grain toast w/ butter, 750ml whole milk

Throwing some carbs in with my breakfast now, as I train within an hour or two of it usually. Seemed to help yesterday.

1 Like

Solid work on the push ups. I dig ending on a non base 10 number.

1 Like

Thanks, man. I hit 100, looked at the timer, realized I had 2 seconds left and was like, “Fuck it, one more.”