Kcal Deficit Since Feb. What Should I Do Now?

Here u can see pic of my body, but i an still a bit unsure.

Should i lift and continue in a kcal deficit or should i try to be in a maintance/a bit higher and try to add musclemass which will tighten

You need to add muscle. You’ve got very, very little which makes you look fatter than you really are. That means eating at maintenance or a slight surplus but working your butt off intelligently in the gym.

Here’s what I’d suggest:

First, nutrition

You weigh 90 kg give or take, so your calorie maintenance window is

Bodyweight in lbs x 14 to bodyweight in lbs x 17

By bodyweight that puts you at 2700-3400 cal/day

At a guess your bodyfat is sitting somewhere around 25%, so that would mean your LBM is around 67 kg. That would put your calorie maintenance window at 2100-2500 cal/day.

I’d start out at 2500 cal/day and see how you go. Add 100 cal/day every time you stop seeing progress for over 10 days (which will be muscle gain, not scale weight so use the mirror and tape measure).

In terms of macros, because you’re not carrying much muscle I’d probably avoid going too high in carbs. Something like 200 grams protein (800 calories), 35% of calories from fat (95 grams or 855 calories) and the rest from carbs mostly from rice, oats and potatoes (215 grams).

Every time you increase calories, increase it by adding carbs and leaving protein and fat the same. The logic behind this is that you’re only adding calories when you’ve stalled adding muscle, so you’re carrying more muscle which will have made your body better able to use carbs.

Now to training

The main thing is intelligently busting your arse. I’d say four days training per week is pretty optimal, with a fifth conditioning day if you want and have time (otherwise conditioning is tacked onto one or two of your training days). You can also do full body, in which case three days a week plus one conditioning would probably be better. What program you pick is up to you. I’m a big fan of 5/3/1, but anything with a sensible progression model is fine.

For adding muscle quickly, I think 5/3/1 Boring But Big is hard to pass by. It also teaches you to work hard, which is good.

4 Likes

Wow, thanks. Fantastick answer, dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

My pleasure

Not to be rude, but i am thinking of changing program. The program u listed is good, but has too few excercies, i think. I have lifted weights before, and then i used the 5-3-1-program, with good results.

What do u think of the X-size program? Its a program made by a norwegian trainer, and the comments are really good. The program is like this:

Day 1(Heavy upper body)

• Benchpress, 4 set - 4-6 reps
  • Pendlayrow or t-bar row. 4 set, 6-8 reps
  • Pushpress or shoulderpress. 3 sett, 4-6 reps
  • Pullups or chins. 4 set, 4-6 reps
  • Close grip barbell benchpress or dips. 3 sett, 4-6 reps

Day 2(Heavy lower body)

• Squat, 4 sett, 4-6 reps
  • Deadlift or good morning, 3 set, 6-8 reps
  • Stepp upp, 3 set on every leg, 6-8 reps
  • Hip thrust or nordic hams, 3 set, 6-8 reps
  • Dragon fly or ab wheel, 3x8

Day 3(medium-chest, shoulders and triceps)

• Shoulderpress or benchpress, droppset 1
  • Dumbell incline bench press or dumbell floor press, 3 set, 8-10 reps
  • Flies, 3 set, 12-15 reps
  • Dumbell lateral raise, 3 set, 12-15 reps
  • Frenchpress, 3 set, 8-10 reps
  • Triceps pushdown, droppset 2

Day 4(medium legs-back-biceps)

• Deadlift, droppset 1
  • Chins, 3 set, 8-10 reps
  • Dumbell bench rows, 4 set, 10-12 reps
  • Facepull or real delt flies, 3 set, 12-15 reps
  • Bicepscurl, 3 set, 8-10 reps
  • Biceps isolation, droppset 2
  • Hack squat or legpress widowaker

Dropset type 1

Drip kits are used on bench press and ground lift. Use 3-4 sets of 6 reps on and drive you up to a heavy set of 5-6 reps for technical exhaustion. Then take 20% weight and drive as many repetitions as possible on this weight until technical failure. Technical fatigue is understood as the point where the technique is not identical to the first repetition, but that you have to cheat on the technique and continue. The breaks should not last longer than 20-30 seconds.

Drop kit type 2

This is used for smaller exercises. You first take a set of exhaustion. In X-size we aim for about 8-10 reps on the first set. Thereafter, the weight reduces 10-20% to drive a new set of fatigue. You reduce the same way and complete the third set. The breaks between the three sets should not exceed 10-15 seconds

Widowmaker

Here we dig up with 1 set of 20 repititions! This is a hit in well-known programs such as DC, where it is called an widowmaker. The man behind DC explains that way.

Aim for about 12 reps without a lockout break.
Breathe 3 deep breaths in the lock out but do not put down the weight.
3 new reps
3 deep breath
2 reps
3 deep breath
Then think about one and a repitiosion. 3-2-1 and finished. If you complete multiple repetitions, you will also complete these

Yeah, you’re being a bit rude.

You dont have the training base or experience to “think” correctly about training so just do those templates which have been proven here hundreds of times over.

As a beginner stay the hell away from DC type programs/rest pause, drop sets etc

2 Likes

I think you’ll do better with BBB. A programs quality isn’t determined by how many exercises you do. BBB will teach you how to work hard and has the volume to drive muscle growth. What you suggested appears overly complicated and with way too many different exercises.

Not to be rude, but the program you listed looks crap for your training level. It has far too many exercises. As a beginner you need a simple program that repeats the main mass/strength building compounds so you get good at them.

Worry about drop sets, drop kits, isolated biceps and 13 different types of presses when you have mastered the squat, Deadlift, OH Press, Bench, dips and chin-ups.

That being said, the program you choose must be something that works for you and you will continue to do… Oh wait

Uhhhh what’s the problem?

1 Like

Started training today at the gym, and i also measured my bodyfat percentage. It was around 26%, which i think is a bit, because i look slim, and my weight is normal, but still the bodyfat is such high, hmm.

Anyways. When i am putting on some muscles on my body, will the body fat-percentage go down automaticly then?

Of course it won’t. It’ll make it easier to lose fat, sure, but adding muscle doesn’t magically make you lose fat.

So what do u advice me to do then, to loose the fat? Adding cardio?

Currently i am on a 2,5 kcal/day and trying to eat alot of protein. I am active at the days, are usually walking to city/work etc.

I advise you to be realistic about your expectations. Building muscle generally requires a caloric excess; losing fat generally requires a caloric deficit. These are not particularly compatible.

If you eat sensibly and train intelligently you’ll get good results whichever direction you go in.