Kayak Recommendations?

Hey anybody have any kayak experience out there? I’m looking for some advice. I’m thinking of buying one but not sure of the best option on size, accessories even brand.

I’ve got a local lake where I’d spend 90% of my time. Pretty large … not too much ski activity. I was thinking something a little bigger that would track well? On the other hand I’d like to have the option to take it out West at some point where I’d likely end up in some smaller areas and in some faster water. Is there such a thing as a good compromise boat or are we talking two different ones?

Thanks to anyone who can throw some good info my way. I’m betting there’s quite a few kayakers on T-Nation …

Much like asking for bodybuilding advice in these parts, you need to know what your goal is. “Sea Kayaks” and whitewater are completely different animals. What’s your experience level, budget, etc?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Much like asking for bodybuilding advice in these parts, you need to know what your goal is. “Sea Kayaks” and whitewater are completely different animals. What’s your experience level, budget, etc?[/quote]

I’d like to drop a kayak in the local lake and do some long distance paddling for exercise.

My experience level is canoes on lakes in Canada with some occasional light whitewater.

My budget??? A couple grand?

A longer boat with a rudder seems like it’d track better and be more stable. Is there such a beast that is still small enough to do some beginner whitewater work in it?

It’d be nice to be able to stow a light bag for an overnight?

Narrow it down at all? Thanks

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:

My budget??? A couple grand?

[/quote]

Buy 2.

Flyboy - Call around, tell them you are interested in purchasing a kayak and would they let you try some out… I am sure they will.

Absolute Must: a 16 footer with a rudder is the only way to go for open water. A rudder will make your kayaking experience much more enjoyable.

For about $1,300 bucks you should find a package deal that will include a plastic roto-molded kayak, a paddle (that is sized to fit you!) and a spray skirt. Light weight Kevlar kayaks are around $5000.00 but very sweet. Most touring kayaks have waterproof hatches.

Buy a separate kayak for white water...CAUTION: Once you go on white water you will will never recover from the rush!

Flyboy ....Best advice ever: Take LESSONS! Learn to Eskimo roll! 

Have fun,
BB