T Nation

Karl's Questions 8/23 and 8/25

Any questions tonight?

Stay strong
MR

For those of you who don't know, Karl is my real name, and what some would call my "Evil Twin." Don't expect PC answers here!

Stay strong
MR

What is your view on good mornings? I've read in westside that 70% of lower body maximal lift exercises are of a good morning variety but i remember reading in t-mag eric cressy was saying these are very advanced back exercises and that in his opinion only 15% of people who train are set up to do it.
So my questions are:
a) Do you do them and if so to 1 rep max like in westside
b) How would you check that someone has the right flexibility/strength to begin doing good mornings?
c) Do you find them benefical for improving squats and dl?

1 - Yes I do them, only I have always done them for reps vs. 1RM's

2 - Always check the low back; if there's any rounding whatsoever in the movement, I have them return to the start. Please, don't force the issue here!

3 - For certain populations, yes. I would love to go into more detail here, but just wait for Eric and I's article called "Lousy Leverages"...it will explain everything :wink:

Stay strong
MR

whats your opinion on how much unilateral leg work someone should be doing and what are your favorite unilateral movements?

I incorporate some unilateral work in almost every program I write. In fact, I would say 99.9% of the time there will be something added.

Check out my "Single Leg Supplements" article for exercises and variations. I will use almost all of them in my training at some point or another.

Stay strong
MR

some how I missed that article thanks for tipping me off