Karate People

To the guy who said 1 street fight equals 5 years of training must have never seen Shad (not sure of last name) from KOTC. He claims to have had over 1000 street fights and gets destroyed every time. I think Karate can be good on the street although I think boxing (thai or western) and judo or wrestling is better on the street. Just an example, I was joking around with a Karate guy at work the other day and he took a joke a bit too personally and exploded at me with kicks and punches. Ive been training Judo for a short while now and just grabbed him and did osoto gari and it was all over. Although There is a 7th dan in my small town who people often try and take on at the local pub and ive never seen him beaten.

well unless they were good street fighters before they learned there art…they will still most likely get there ass handed them…From what I’ve seen when a person that lacks the natural ability to fight it don’t matter what art they practice be it martial arts or boxing…and when faced with an aggressive person that is willing to hurt them , and is not just sparring wuth them…they forget all and just start throwing wind mills…

Thats why I train in Archery. I always carry a Bow and Arrow with me. Perfect self defense. For a back up, take Kendo. A Katana can be very easily hidden, and great for Highlander run ins.

[quote]GERRY.P.SHARMAN wrote:
From what I’ve seen when a person that lacks the natural ability to fight it don’t matter what art they practice be it martial arts or boxing.[/quote]

I think the natural ability angle pretty much answers my original post. Never considered that before.

[quote]Mr ian wrote:
Thats why I train in Archery. I always carry a Bow and Arrow with me. Perfect self defense. For a back up, take Kendo. A Katana can be very easily hidden, and great for Highlander run ins.[/quote]

Excellent advice.

Having some training is always going to be more benefitial than having none at all.

I think that the term ‘Karate’ is a pretty broad description these days and some schools would probably provide training that would be benifital in a ‘real world’ setting whilst others may not.

I do believe though that being involved in a ‘street fight’ would probably allow the individual to quickly work out for him/her self how much of their karate had a practical carry over !!

[quote]Mr ian wrote:
Thats why I train in Archery. I always carry a Bow and Arrow with me. Perfect self defense. For a back up, take Kendo. A Katana can be very easily hidden, and great for Highlander run ins.[/quote]

I’m pretty mean with a Bo staff myself

I don’t know if any art that doesn’t practice full contact(or at least partial with pads) can ever truly say it will get you ready for a street fight…most’ve the fights I’ve been involved in have been against relatively untrained individuals and sometimes they’ll do some weird shit that wouldn’t come to someone intuitively. I’ve had some training in boxing(not enough to be considered a competent striker by any means,) but in bar fights its a lot different to have an opponent swinging wildly and having to look for an opening and guage your distance as things are happening so fast.

I’m feel old now in that I really, really try to avoid fights, I pretty much have to have no alternatives. If you can find a gym/dojo/academy that offers a quality blend of striking, takedowns, and submissions, then you’re in the money. For me personally, I’m only doing it for the fun so grappling is all I’m really interested in.

Well I was A TKD & Semi Contact Kickboxer, I got in a fight when i was 17 for the first time and I personally dont see how it would help too much. It mostly goes ou the window and you just go to try beat t6he hell out of them before they do of you. Since then i havew had two more and one of which was where i got jumped by like 7 people but came out fine considering, I still think that eachtime i come out learning so much more than I knew before.

I dont do TKD or Semi Kickboxing at the min But i really want to get into cage fight training discipline, (Muay Thai & BJJ) so i will be going to fo that soon as i can. Its easily been proven to be the most effective.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
When comparing grappling to the striking arts, several things are important to remember:
(1) Almost every fight begins with both guys on their feet.
(2) In competitions between grapplers and strikers, the strikers are usually barefoot. This rarely would happen in real fighting. Having a solid shoe (or steel-toed) makes a kick much more devestating.
(3) The strikers are forbidden, in competition, from throat strikes, eye gouges, and other such ‘goodies’. In combat with a BJJ guy, for ex, I’m going to drive my fingers right through his eyeballs. If I miss, I will secure a head grip and bite his throat through or bite off an ear (for starters). I’d rather take my chances with a judge and jury instead of being in a wheelchair for life, or dead.

HH

Um…with all due respect what makes you think that if the rules were changed a BJJ guy couldn’t “drive his fingers through your balls” as well as submit you 100 different way?

He could certainly try. His problem is, though, that he trains to close the gap first. My first move, as a striker, is to go immediately to a blinding or lethal strike. If he has trained that way also, then its a matter of who gets there first. Otherwise, my advantage.

The techniques I described were taught to young marines during WWII. It was assumed that all Japanese soldiers knew martial arts. However, most American soldiers were larger and with a longer reach, they therefore could strike first.

BTW: I have to study these techniques because of my size, Zeb. I am not bragging or anything like that, but I am 6’6" and 285. Anyone who fucks with me must be one serious MFer or psycho. In other words, I’d have to kill 'em to stop 'em.

HH

And a fat as fuck 20% fat, what do you do ? Roll on them ?

Nah, I kick them in the head with my Dr. Marten’s.

If you fantasize about guys rolling around on you, that’d be another site, little man.

Me being somewhat fat is a result of illness, cumwad. Read the Over 35 section. What your excuse? Cumwad.

HH

I don’t have one seeing as I ain’t fat and have more lbm than you. Bellend.[/quote]

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:

I don’t have one seeing as I ain’t fat and have more lbm than you. Bellend.
[/quote]

Well, we know you ‘don’t have one’. You’re profile says your bf is >9%. Would that be 29%? 39% That’s why you can’t tell that you ‘don’t have one’.

HH