Kanye's New Album

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
Every white guys favorite hip-hop artist:)[/quote]

I thought that honor belonged to MF Doom.

If Kanye never rapped or sang again the world would be better for it. Unfortunately I think if he only produced, his talent would wasted on even lesser emcees.

tired of the stupid voice box…leave that shit to t-pain…sounds stupid

The best lyricist is Black Thought of The Roots then Talib Kweli. No question. Immortal Technique (sp) is pretty fucking amazing, too. His songs are just unreal.

I just can’t see the substance behind Kanye’s lyrics. His beats are great, no doubt.

Reasonable Doubt by Jay Z was a sick album and I dislike Jay Z for the same reason I dislike Kanye, conversely liking Jay Z for the only reasons I like Kanye.

god-DAMN! This song is a true, blue flaming piece of shit. Wow. The beat is OK… The use of AutoTune is cheap and awful. Kanye can NOT sing. The lyrics, as always, are bad.

Usually, I like Kanye’s music just for the beats. But this…

Ponce, am I getting you right here? You’re comparing Jay to Kanye? Kanye has very little substance - agree with you there. Jay, though, has quality lyrics. They may not have been chockful of substance circa Reasonable Doubt, but his wordplay was always sharp.

“About his whereabouts, I wasn’t convinced
I kept feeding her money till her shit started to make sense”

“I’m gon play this vandross
You gon take your pants off”

I liked Kanye’s past albums but I’m not sure about the new one. It just seems too manufactured to me? Not sure what I don’t like about them other than I don’t have the same reaction to these new songs as I did when Stronger first came out or something like that. I’ve always liked his lyrics, no problem there.

I don’t really like him as a person/artist as it seems he tries to portray/behave like a spoiled little child out in the public eye. Whether it’s for publicity or not, I think it makes him look stupid.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Who’s checking this out, some of the stuff is absolute dope.

[/quote]

I can’t listen to him anymore, not after that diva tantrum he had at the VMA’s this year, which was a replay of what he did last year. I can’t respect a man who acts that way.

If you think Jay-Z hasn’t been good since “Reasonable Doubt”, then either a.) You’ve been living under a rock or b.) Don’t know much about hip hop.

i just finally clicked on the link. its a decent song.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
If you think Jay-Z hasn’t been good since “Reasonable Doubt”, then either a.) You’ve been living under a rock or b.) Don’t know much about hip hop.[/quote]

I should have clarified my comment on Jay Z. I actually think he is a good lyricist but a shitty singer. But I don’t enjoy listening to his stuff. Just not my style. And I know hip hop just fine, thanks.

I think Kanye is a good entertainer but a shitty lyricist.

Both of them put out some good beats, though.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
esk221 wrote:
If you think Jay-Z hasn’t been good since “Reasonable Doubt”, then either a.) You’ve been living under a rock or b.) Don’t know much about hip hop.

I should have clarified my comment on Jay Z. I actually think he is a good lyricist but a shitty singer. But I don’t enjoy listening to his stuff. Just not my style. And I know hip hop just fine, thanks.

Both of them put out some good beats, though.[/quote]

and who besides Jay do you think is a good lyricist?

The best lyricist is Black Thought of The Roots then Talib Kweli. No question. Immortal Technique (sp) is pretty fucking amazing, too. His songs are just unreal.

I just can’t see the substance behind Kanye’s lyrics. His beats are great, no doubt.

Reasonable Doubt by Jay Z was a sick album and I dislike Jay Z for the same reason I dislike Kanye, conversely liking Jay Z for the only reasons I like Kanye.[/quote]

Don’t forget KRS-ONE

I just can’t vibe with a lot of the board’s taste I guess. Immortal Technique? Eh. Def Jux? Zzz. Black Thought? Blah.

I respect lyrical talent, but you have to keep me interested.

Besides Jay (who’s my favorite MC) I pretty much stick to the holy trinity of Yeezy, Jeezy, and Weezy. I also enjoy a lot of Southern stuff these days. I’m a huge Boot Camp Click fan too.

Lil Weezy Sneezy Breezy McFreezy
Creative names these guys come up with these days…

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
esk221 wrote:

Both of them put out some good beats, though.

and who besides Jay do you think is a good lyricist?[/quote]

Black Thought and Talib Kweli.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I just can’t vibe with a lot of the board’s taste I guess. Immortal Technique? Eh. Def Jux? Zzz. Black Thought? Blah.

I respect lyrical talent, but you have to keep me interested.

Besides Jay (who’s my favorite MC) I pretty much stick to the holy trinity of Yeezy, Jeezy, and Weezy. I also enjoy a lot of Southern stuff these days. I’m a huge Boot Camp Click fan too.[/quote]

“Blah” to Black Thought?

Have you listened to the Roots’s Phrenology album? That is my favorite hip hop album of all time. Fantastic flows, the tracks are well sorted. The beats are just sick.

…lol theyre like the 7 dwarfs.

i agree with Esk though. i like lyricism and can appreciate good wordplay and wit but keep me entertained i dont want to hear about conspiricies and how the white man is keep you down.

theres way too many quoteables in this

already been said I saw the track list for the album and have heard the majority of the songs off it, this album will be the first kanye album I won’t be purchasing. It also annoys me cause I paid good money to go see a kanye concert in December and no doubt will he play trash off this album. The only good song I’ve heard so far is amazing ft young jeezy, I think i threw a little up in my mouth when I first heard robocop.

We need the kanye that dropped spaceship, through the wire, stronger, big brother and diamonds are forever.

when Mrs West Died → Kanye Died

Reasonable Doubt by Jay Z was a sick album and I dislike Jay Z for the same reason I dislike Kanye, conversely liking Jay Z for the only reasons I like Kanye.[/quote]

have to agree with you on the talib thing and double on the immortal technique statement, dance with the devil holy shit what a tale.

as for kanye imo he should just make beats rhyming the same word isnt wordplay its just lack of skill…

too get this place going good after that kanye trash, new luda ft nas and jigga - i do it for hip hop

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
…lol theyre like the 7 dwarfs.

i agree with Esk though. i like lyricism and can appreciate good wordplay and wit but keep me entertained i dont want to hear about conspiricies and how the white man is keep you down.

theres way too many quoteables in this

[/quote]

That’s lame. You are entitled to have your own tastes, I agree, but the problem with Kanye and so many other ‘artists’ is that they have one or two memorable lines in a song and all of a sudden people quote them like they just heard the second gospel.

When I talk about lyricism I mean a CHORUS that stands out, not just one or two “dope lines.” Dig?

Kanye just doesn’t have the talent for that. Beats? Yes. Good performer? Sure. Lyricist? No way.

Eminem I feel is an amazing lyricist, really really amazing, but I cannot stand his voice.

Go listen to Thought @ Work by The Roots or even The Seed 2.0 or especially Break You Off. Those have some of the most amazing choruses I’ve ever heard. That’s what I call lyricism.