Kansas Strongest Man 06

Tommorow there will be the Kansas Strongest Man strongman meet at the Salina Bicentenial Center starting at noon. It is free admission. It should be a great show, it is platinum level and there will be over 50 contestants. If you are near by, it will be worth the trip.

I will be competing for the first time in the Lightweight Novice division. I’m nervous as hell and I wish I would have had more time to train. I got involved with strongman about 6 weeks ago. I was not planning on entering, but my training partner is also a promoter of this event. He explained that the Novice division is there for guys like me, and it is a good chance to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Well, that is all I have to say for now, wish me luck, and before the weekend is over, I will catch up and talk about how I did.

Good luck! Don’t stress out too much dude, and try to enjoy the experience!

Good Luck, where is this place? My ignorance is not helping, i see kansas and i see your from michigan, if its close by i would like to go, let me know.

Good luck! Post some pics.

I’m graduating tomorrow at KSU. When is this thing going on? I may want to show up after the ceremony and family stuff. It’d be cool to watch, if I can swing it.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I’m graduating tomorrow at KSU. When is this thing going on? I may want to show up after the ceremony and family stuff. It’d be cool to watch, if I can swing it.[/quote]

The show starts at noon, it should last four or five hours. Congrats on the graduation. If you are staying in the Kansas area, there are a few shows coming up in June in the KC Missouri area. Check out KCStrongman.com for listings.

Awesome. Thanks.

Well, I am here, alive, spine intact, intestines still internal, and I can walk without a limp. Yesterday was a good day.

I didn’t do as well as I hoped, coming in 4th in my division. I would have liked to do better, but I am not disapointed. I completed all of my events. Six months ago, I would not have even thought that I could do the things I did yesterday, so just doing them was an accomplishment.

What amazes me about this sport is the quality of the competetors. First, the physical strength and skill is amazing, but that is not what I mean. I mean that for the most part, these guys are class acts and great sportsman. The competition was pretty intense, often events came down to seconds or a few pounds to determine a winner, but despite that, everyone was very supportive of eachother. It was not uncommon for a ‘rival’ to pat you on the back before a lift and wish you good luck, even though a success would place you higher than him. My hat goes off to these guys.

As far as the events, this is how I did:
Log Press- 190lbs for one rep, personal best
Silver Dollar Deadlift- 600lbs
Farmer’s Walk- 180lbs each side for 100 feet- completed, but to slow
Power Stairs- 200,250,300lbs, 3 stairs each- completed
Stones- 5 stones, 120-220lbs, completed.

My strength was decent, always room for improvement, but it was on par with my peers. What killed me was the speed events. I have never been a quick or agile guy, and that hurt me. Although I got my events clean and steady, my peers beat me on all of the timed events. Lesson learned, and I know where to go from here.

Man, overall it was a great experience. I am hooked in this sport. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has many shows within driving range. I train with some awesome guys who have a great facility and a wealth of experience. I will continue to train, and I have my sights on a next show in September, the Police, Fire and Military Nationals.