Kangaroo Burger Recipy

Because this forms a huge amount of the food I am eating for my bulk, and the fact it is so tasty I thought I would share. I generally eat about 2-3 a day.

Patty ingredients (makes enough for 4 patties):
500-700g kangaroo mince
4-5 pieces of spelt bread (blended to make bread crumbs)
2 eggs
3 cloves garlic
300g grated cheese (I use Edam)

Mix together with your hands for a few minutes. If it’s too dry then add macadamia nut oil, if it’s too wet then add more bread crumbs.

Burger ingredients:
Burger bun
Mixed Salad
Tomato Sauce
2 cheese slices per burger
Mayonaisse
Spanish Onion
Sliced tomato

Heat up pan with burger buns on to toast both sides (this takes longer than you think). When toasted, remove from the pan. Then add a reasonable amount of macadamia oil to the pan and add patty mix (don’t flatten it out too much, should be at least an inch thick). Watch your hand because oil will probably spit at you.

Add mayonaisse to the bottom bun, then salad, then tomato sauce, then spanish onion, then slice tomato. Put a slice of cheese over this.
When the patties are finished cooking (both sides should be quite dark brown) add on top and then top with another slice of cheese.

No idea of the calories but if you eat 3 of these with a couple of litres of milk then you’ll have a pretty solid meal.

If people try this and like it I might put some more recepies.

Yea man, I do something similar to this regularly.
I grab 2 kgs of Kangaroo Mince for the week and make patties with, fetta, shredded cheese, sliced olives, obviously eggs and flour to keep them together and some mixed herbs in there too.

I freeze the majority of them and pop them into the fridge a day or 2 before I eat em.

I tend to just eat them by themselves. I haven’t had enough courage or mind power to start messing with garnishes and bread and such :(. Just trying to master the basics of Kangaroo… SOB

i used too just buy a kg of mince cook it then sit in front of the tv and eat it, much simpler times lol. might do that again on wedsnesday after squats

Kanga meat just doesn’t go down too well for me. The only form of kanga meat i can handle is kanga bangas. But they take way too long to cook. Maybe i can’t cook for shit. But its a pity i can’t man up and eat it because its usually cheaper than beef and lamb along with its benefits of being wild meat source.

Ok help an ignorant yank out…where does Kangaroo fall in nutrition-wise when compared to beef, chicken, turkey, or pork burgers? Does it have alot of protein, fat, etc?
And of course, can you put vege-mite on it? :wink:
Thanks

Kangaroo meat is no fat at all, about 27g protien per 100g.

Its actually quite hard to make burgers out of cos its so low in fat. They always fall apart. So i either add olive oil to the recipie, or more eggs, or just deal with it falling apart.

My burger recipie:
Cut up onion
One of those cheap packets of instant chicken noodle soup (home brand or something)
About 4-6 eggs
Mince
Oil (maybe)

Its pretty fast, pretty cheap, and tastes alright. I prefer my kangaroo in chilli con carne though.

Yes they do fall apart if you get the ratios wrong. The way I have it set up above is how I do it now after quite a few trials.

The kanga bangas are pretty good. If you bbq them it’s faster.

I cook all my kangaroo on a quality iron frying pan (for extra arm work when moving it around :P) and cook at reasonably high temperatures.

If you don’t let the frying pan get reasonably hot before you start then you have to heat it faster once the meat is on, and that leads to burning on the outside.

For kanga bangas, steaks, and fillets I soak them in olive oil half an hour before I start cooking. Getting the steaks to cook well is really hard, but I’ve just manage to work it out (if you over cook them then you get something impossible to chew, undercook them and they bleed everywhere).

I love kangaroo, I got it several times in Australia.

I’m so tired of beef! but I have no idea how to get a hold of kangaroo in the states. so I just use deer.

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
For kanga bangas, steaks, and fillets I soak them in olive oil half an hour before I start cooking. Getting the steaks to cook well is really hard, but I’ve just manage to work it out (if you over cook them then you get something impossible to chew, undercook them and they bleed everywhere).[/quote]

this sounds interesting, I love the kanga banga’s can eat a whole pack by myself and you get something close too 200grams of protein. perfect food for cutting IMO.

yeah if you either undercook the mince or over cook it you might aswell throw it out

Lenah Game Meats make some cryo-vacced Wallaby Sausages that have virtually no crap in them. The ingredients list 5% pork which makes them taste great and contributes some fat.

The beauty is you can keep them in the fridge all the time, because they have really long use-by dates. You need some relish or chutney with them, a bit dry otherwise.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
Lenah Game Meats make some cryo-vacced Wallaby Sausages that have virtually no crap in them. The ingredients list 5% pork which makes them taste great and contributes some fat.

The beauty is you can keep them in the fridge all the time, because they have really long use-by dates. You need some relish or chutney with them, a bit dry otherwise.[/quote]

I can’t remember what company makes the sausages I get (just get them from Coles). I know it’s Gourmet Game that produces the mince. But all the kangaroo I get is only kangaroo, so no pork or anything else. I only eat game meat, so I’m happy with my situation.

is there any way I can find/order this stuff w/good quality in the states?