T Nation

Kallander's NPTI Log

I am keeping this log as part of my curriculum for my personal training certification program. I’ve always wanted to start one and thought it would be highly appropriate now. Feel free to post any comments, positive or otherwise. Now, Without further ado…

11/30/09 - Back/Legs

Squat: 235lbs 3x5
5x235
3x235
3x235

My knee is still all fucked from last week so these weren’t too pleasant. The last set felt the best, but after I got home it got real stiff.

Deadlift: 325lbs x1

Went for a double but didn’t get the first. I normally do 1x5 but my back was especially stiff today so I called it quits after I hit 325. Felt great, though I know soon I’ll need to start practicing mixed grip since the bar is practically rolling out of my hands.

Pull-ups: 5x5

These sucked as usual since I am a pathetic weakling. The only time I’ve ever been able to rep out more than 10 consecutive reps in when I did them everyday. So I’m considering just doing them everyday as part of my warm-up.

Curls: 40lbs 3x10

I was pretty worn out at this point so I kind of flew through these as quickly as I could

Overall not a terrible day. I definitely plan to go lighter on the squats until my knee starts to heal up. I was mostly happy about hitting 325 on the deadlift after missing the first one. Still getting used to this four day split after doing Starting Strength.

12/01/09 - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Bench: 3x5
4 @ 180
3 @ 180
3 @ 180

This sucked. An improvement over reps from Friday but the sets just felt like shit. I chalk it up to four hours of sleep last night and lackluster breakfast and lunch. I crushed 175 last Monday so I’m also thinking this is somewhat of a mental barrier as well. We’ll see if I can’t pull it out Friday.

Press: 3x5
5 @ 95
5 @ 115
5 @ 120
2 @ 135 (push press)

First time I’ve ever followed benching with pressing and I was surprised I was able to get 120 for 5, even for one set. I decided to finish it off with a little push press. I think I’ll do this from now on.

Dips: 3x5
5 +45lbs
5 +45lbs
15 @ BW

After the second set my shoulders were giving out so I decided to drop the weight and just rep it out with bodyweight. I didn’t have much strength left at this point so I was pretty disappointed at my bodyweight reps. Such is life. I’m thinking of either switching this out with press on bench day. Three compound pressing movements is tearing me up.

Two Arm Triceps Extension: 3x8
8 @ 50
8 @ 50
8 @ 50

I don’t know why I like this exercise so much. It’s not even that good when I think about it. It was sort of the first thing that came to mind when it came time to train them. I’ll try something else Friday.

Pretty okay day. I’m still not in love with this split. My group will be on it for at least a month so we’ll see where it takes me. My nutrition definitely wasn’t up to par today. Although, since I started drinking a protein shake during my workout my fatigue level seems to sort of stay in check. Went home and chowed down on half a chicken. Got hungry a few hours later at ate 4 eggs, cheese, some chopped onion and a piece of bread. Hopefully that’ll recharge me a bit. Hittin’ the hay early tonight. Can’t function on four hours, let alone make any progress in the gym.

12/03/09 - Legs, Back

Probably the worst day I’ve had in the gym in months. Not sure why, ate a hardy portion of beans and rice beforehand, and got adequate sleep, but alas I made very little progress.

Squat
5 @ 200
5 @ 200
5 @ 200
5 @ 235

My knee is feeling better, but I didn’t want to overdue it today so I went a little lighter. Felt no pain during the lifts but slight stiffness after. I think Monday I’ll be ready to go heavy again.

Cleans
3 @ 135
3 @ 135
3 @ 145
3 @ 155
3 @ 155

My grip was shot from all the farmers walks I did the previous day. I was hoping to hit 165 for three but my body just had no strength in it today.

Seated Row
12 @ 100
10 @ 110
10 @ 120

Since I was feeling pretty burnt already I decided to do a little easier exercise instead of pull-ups. These felt fine, certainly didn’t push myself with the weight.

Fat Bar Curls
10 @ 70
10 @ 70
10 @ 70

As much as a straight bar is hard on my wrists, I just love the pump the fat bar gives my forearms. Definitely going to stick with these. I just had way more fun curling than I normally do. Went pretty light just to see how the bar feels, but by the third set my forearms were on fire.

Did some incline walking for another ten minutes before calling it a day. Overall I didn’t feel I pushed myself nearly as hard as I normally do, though I am starting to like this split.

12/4/09 - Chest, Shoulders, Tris

Worked out with a buddy from class today. Gym was empty and I really found myself enjoying a workout partner for once. We’re gonna try and make it a regular thing.

Bench: 3x5
4 @ 180
4 @ 180
4 @ 180
3 @ 180

So, I’ve been stuck at 180 for the past four workouts. Each time I’ve gotten one extra rep on my sets, but I’ve still yet to rep out five. Nonetheless, progress is still progress. I did an extra set of three just to get my 15 reps in.

Press: 3x5
5 @ 95
5 @ 110
5 @ 120

I find I like ramping the weight on this exercise. Was finally able to get five reps with perfect form for 120. Really focused on my form today. These felt great.

Dips: 3x12
12 @ BW
12 @ BW
12 @ BW

I could have done more but I just wanted to get used to using only my bodyweight again. I’m going for a class record in a few days so I was just getting the feel of repping them out. I normally add weight and much to my delight found bodyweight to be very easy, so I’m glad it’s working out.

Triceps Pushdowns: 3x10
10 @ 50
10 @ 50
10 @ 50

Got a great pump and still had gas left in the tank. I think my body is finally getting used to this split. I’m certainly starting to enjoy it more. I think eventually I’ll go back to a three day split, but for now this is fine. Good day, definitely looking forward to my Friday workouts as well.

Monday 12/7/09 - Legs, Back

Squats: 3x5 @ 235
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
215 x 1
235 x 5
235 x 5
235 x 5
Knee felt almost completely healed and the squats felt great. Really glad I got all my reps. Time to start moving the weight back up.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 315
5 @ 135
5 @ 225
3 @ 275
1 @ 295
5 @ 315
1 @ 345 (PR)
Finally pulled with mixed grip, hit a PR, pretty stoked. I got my sights set on 400 and 500 after that. I think I need do a bit more volume since I only do these once a week. My NPTI instructor offered some chalk, and I must say I really need to buy chalk. I couldn’t believe the difference it made.

Pull-ups: 3x5
Kinda bitched out on these. Felt exhausted after pulling 345 so I just did the bare minimum I usually allow myself.

Fat-Bar Curls: 3x8 @ Bar+55
Really like the fat-bar. I’ve kinda been on a big forearm kick for awhile now so I’m really digging these.

Recap: Great day overall. Ate exceptionally clean and healthy today too!

Tuesday 12/08/09 - Chest, Triceps

Bench: 3x5 @ 180
8 @ 95
5 @ 135
3 @ 155
1 @ 170
4 @ 180
3 @ 180
5 @ 170
Particularly bad show on my part. This is actually a regression from last time. Going to move the weight back and really focus on my form. My arch isn’t bad but my bar path could be better. Going to do some higher volume work Friday.

Dips: 3x8 @ BW+45
5 @ BW
8 @ BW+45
8 @ BW+45
8 @ BW+45
Aiming for 3x10 next time and then moving the weight up.

Triceps Extensions: 3x10 @ 60
Triceps were shot after these.

Lateral Raises: 3x12 @ 20
Probably going to switch to power raises. Gotta move some heavier weight.

Recap: Not the best day by any means, but what can you do. Stalled lifts are infuriating.