Kairiki's Progress Log - From Wimp to Warrior

Snap Fitness finally called me and I took a tour. Uber small gym. No power rack. One bar (maybe 45 pounds). The evil Smith Machine. Lots of dumbbells. If I join, I can work out anytime I want with a keycard which is a major plus.

I would have to figure out how to compensate for squats because I refuse to locked into a Smith Machine.

[quote]Kairiki wrote:
Snap Fitness finally called me and I took a tour. Uber small gym. No power rack. One bar (maybe 45 pounds). The evil Smith Machine. Lots of dumbbells. If I join, I can work out anytime I want with a keycard which is a major plus.

I would have to figure out how to compensate for squats because I refuse to locked into a Smith Machine. [/quote]

Depending on how heavy the dumbells are but goblet squats might be an option.

Keycard? Ah, that’s what I thought. Git, that’s why he couldn’t just show up and ask for a tour. They lock the place and have no staff there.

Seriously, no rack of any kind for the one bar? You can deadlift, but heavy squats are out. Nurse’s idea of goblet squat is probably your best bet - but there’s a limit how far you can go. Is this really the best gym around?

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Keycard? Ah, that’s what I thought. Git, that’s why he couldn’t just show up and ask for a tour. They lock the place and have no staff there.

Seriously, no rack of any kind for the one bar? You can deadlift, but heavy squats are out. Nurse’s idea of goblet squat is probably your best bet - but there’s a limit how far you can go. Is this really the best gym around?[/quote]

Ah, OK that is clearer.

You can accomplish a lot with heavy DBs, but that gym sounds like a waste of money.

Its a huge improvement from how your training now right?

for economics and injuries I trained a year or more without a squat rack
and did tons and tons of unilateral work and improvised some other stuff.

not saying its ideal but there are ways around not being able to squat.

@ Biggie: Goblet Squats are a great idea and I am sure I can still gets some sizes on my legs that way.

@ Cav: Being frugal minded right now, this is the closest gym to me since old man winter is slowing creeping its way here and the most economical…when my new insurance kicks in on January 2012, I get reimbursed for the membership.

@KM: I use a lot of odd objects to train around the home. Truth be told, I really don’t know how strong I am. Going to a gym will eliminate the guesswork just like Big Nurse has noticed.

I wish this Gent here would stop talking about me (just kidding) I am Jey his inspiration the full details are as follows:
I was ravaged on leave for a year i shot up to 265 on 14 different medication to fix things from depression to high blood pressure.
I had been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism and a few other minor problems (one of which was a pinched nerve in my right leg that caused me severe pain) that amounted to big pain form me.
i was in such bad shape i had to walk with a cane.
I finally got sick of being sick and forced myself to improve from January of this year till now i have lost 65 lbs of fat and gained about 10 back in muscle.

Right now i am 212 with:
36" waist
15" biceps
12" forarms
46" chest
18.5" neck
15" calves and
23" thighs

I am off all of the pharma meds replaced with supplements and feel great looking great and moving forward.

Wow. Hi, Jey.

@ Mr. E: About time you showed up here, Old Man. :-p

Take a week off after seven weeks of working out straight…measurements will be taken the morning of Thanksgiving to see progress. I will spend time stretching this week and just chilling.

Lord willing, I plan to join Snap Fitness in January when my new insurance kicks in. Guaranteed discount. Nice.

[quote]Kairiki wrote:
Lord willing, I plan to join Snap Fitness in January when my new insurance kicks in. Guaranteed discount. Nice. [/quote]
Is that the chain that’s open 24 hours without employees? Or something like that? I looked at one of those once and found that all of their equipment had fixed stops so that full ROM was impossible on anything. The point was “to avoid injury,” I was told. Maybe check it out.

Yes, this is open for 24 hours. I would stay away from all of the machines like the plague, KP.

[quote]Kairiki wrote:
Yes, this is open for 24 hours. I would stay away from all of the machines like the plague, KP. [/quote]

But as I recall, they had no free weights. No cage and barbells. Just fixed machines like a smith and such. It was a long time ago (at least five years?) since I went in one.

They have dumbbells, one olympic bar, and a few weights. At least I will be able to keep myself honest and know what I’m lifting than guess-i-mating my lifts with odd objects around the home.

Okay…thanks for everyone’s patience…I now have a gym membership (30 day trial). Signed up last Friday!

As Big Nurse stated…weights keep you honest. What a true statement!

Here are my lifts. Nothing earth shaking especially since I am transitioning from working out with odd objects to actual weights. I will just list the work set weights. My goal is strength using 5 x 5. Workout time is 45 minutes tops. 1 minute rest between sets.

Monday:

1. Goblet Squats 25
  2. DB Press 25
  3. Pendlay Row 30

Wednesday:

1. Goblet Squat 30
  2. Pendlay Press 50
  3. Deadlift 50

Extra: Pull-ups (assisted - machine set on weight 8) and Farmer Walk

Friday:

1. Goblet Squat 35
  2. DB Press 30
  3. Pendlay Row 50

Then I decided to try something insane - Bilateral Four Corners Farmer’s Walk (http://bit.ly/ssdtBN)

weight: 35 lbs

I was only able to do 2 sets and I was fried afterwards.

Will post more on Monday!

Thanks for stopping by!

Updates ~

Here are my stats for last week (Dec 12 - 16)

Monday:

Goblet Squats 40
Push Press 55
Deadlift 55

Wednesday:

Goblet Squat 45
DB Press 35
Pendlay Row 55

Friday:

Goblet Squat 50
Push Press 60
Deadlifts 60

Note: I also added Farmer Walk exercises on each day…on Deadlift days, I added Hip Hinge as well.

This week (Dec 19-23) is Deload Week -

I will be following the scheme from here: Strength Training - Rest, Recover and Get Stronger - Diesel Crew - Muscle Building, Athletic Development, Strength Training, Grip Strength

I am also added Thoracic/Shoulder Mobility exercise and Medicine Ball Chops.

I am sore from this deload yet this is recovery week.

Thanks for stopping by!

After making myself all fluffy from holiday eating and some solid measurements before Christmas, I am back in the gym doing my 5 x 5 scheme.

My Snap Fitness trial membership will end this month. I will definitely be joining because the convenience of working out at 10 p.m. is priceless.

Looking forward to getting stronger…more updates soon.

P.S. If you have a Kroger supermarket near you, 1st Step B-12 Shots are amazing…cherry flavor is the bomb!

Glad to hear the place is working out!

Thanks, Cav…I have to admit…I am enjoying this little place and having to come up with innovative ways to use their equipment helps keep the mind young. :slight_smile:

stopping in to see how you’re doing, looks like you’re doing fine :slight_smile: