Kai Wins Arnold, but "Ced has Best Physique?"

I think a lot of people find the sport absurd/idiotic… that’s why it’s not popular. Like 98% of the population agrees with you, lol. I only loosely follow the sport myself.

I think because so few people really care about the sport of bodybuilding, there’s no real reason for any real Looking into it in terms of who is breaking the law or not.

S

1 Like

This!

I love and follow it, and at the same time consider it insane! Most of my close family members have actually used the word retarded for it. My mother can’t stomach it and thinks it is crazy.

It really does not entertain the public to watch men in bikinis posing. Like it really doesn’t. And this is why it will never ever generate the sort of money sports do. It’s more like a pageant than a sport, and although pageants can be entertaining, they are not interesting enough to most that they are going to follow them closely.

Even most gym rats know far more about You Tube bodybuilders and fitness fanatics than they do about competitive bodybuilders. They find their videos entertaining.

And even me, though I love going to BB events, I sometimes find it difficult to sit through them, almost as if I run out of steam at some point during them, especially with all the divisions there are now.

2 Likes

Of course it is tiring. I don’t know how old you are, and I never like to portray myself as some learned elder–you know, one of those guys who thinks he is so damn wise because he can no longer be referred to as kid–but as a 36 year old man, I find it annoying for some guy to tell people with a straight face that he is drug free while being so heavily muscled that he fills out XXL or XXXL shirts with a leanish bodyweight of 230+ pounds at average height.

Random thought -remember when there was still a “debate” on whether “Pro Wrestling” was real or not? And it got so heated that a reporter named John Stoessel got bitch slapped for it:

As far as I know, it has not affected the popularity of pro wrestling, has it?

But then, I guess the whole legality thing with steroids is what really keeps these guys from admitting that the natural thing is fake?

I’m almost surprised the IFBB hasn’t lobbied to get these things unbanned so they dont have to worry about all of it. I understand they are making gobs of money and why break what isnt broken… But I imagine the market could open up even more for them if there was no stigma around usage.

Then again, maybe part of it is that most people are ignorant of the usage, and the scale of the usage happening, so that gives everyone a sense of living the dream until they realize that its not a reality. Given that supplement companies are one of the pillars of the income stream, I doubt they want to rock that boat.

I just don’t think the IFBB has the kind of clout to really influence something like that.

The system is just the way it has to be. Steroids’ll never be legal, IFBB pros will always use steroids, admitting to crimes is dumb, so IFBB pros will always claim to be natural. There’s really no other way.

And I don’t think it’s really bursting anyone’s bubble to find out these dudes use anyway. I knew bodybuilders took steroids long before I ever even considered picking up a barbell. I just assumed everyone else was the same.

1 Like

I doubt the IFBB wants Congressional attention, lol. Especially when they have absolutely no pull. There’s no effective reason to lobby hard for legalizing steroids. They certainly don’t want an MLB-style investigation on their hands.

just imagine if it actually happened! Bodybuilding’d cease to exist.

Weider always had delusions of bringing bodybuilding to the Olympics. Aside from making bodybuilding media friendly, there is probably a lot of that in the WADA policy.

Best response to the natty question was from Phil Heath who said that it is against the rules to use steroids and that anyone who did was risking their career. Then left it at that.