Kai Greene: A Day in the Life

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
FTLOG x2[/quote]

I don’t even know what that means, but x3[/quote]
For the love of god.

Sorry. I didn’t feel like spelling it out.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

You ever see the Making of PUmping Iron? Arnold says something to the effect of “if you just see the competition, than you’ve seen everything there is in 10 minutes. But if you see the personalities behind it all, then you have a story.”

I’m just commenting on his personality, if all we’re interested in is the physique then they wouldn’t be making videos with interviews and everything. I don’t believe I’ve even mentioned his physique and I’m not trying to correlate the two, so I don’t know what you’re getting at.
[/quote]

…but…most of the people here aren’t just commenting on “personality”. They are judging his intelligence…which is strange given that you can’t possibly tell that from how someone does on camera.

You didn’t, but the fact that this many people keep talking about his speech shows that others are.

[quote]
Honestly, the feeling I get from his is that he’s of average intelligence. But things like intelligence can be tricky without actually knowing someone so my opinion is all speculation, I was just commenting on another poster’s opinion. You can feel free to add your own opinion, or continue to poke fun at mine, I don’t mind either way. [/quote]

Most people are “average”…including most of the ones talking about how smart he is. It just seems strange since all you can tell from his speech on camera is that he isn’t illiterate and actually isn’t “below average” by any substantial degree.

hey, I think I did fine on camera considering every day was a surprise as to what we were doing.

Either way, just like you can judge that on film…that isn’t even half the story of what went on.

I just do’t understand the focus on his intelligence when he is speaking well enough to not gain much criticism at all other than nitpicking his use of words.[/quote]

I think all too often people confuse creativity with intelligence. I think Kai is more of a creative type than an intelligent type. The two traits are correlated only up to a certain point. Sometimes one can even stifle the other.You don’t really have to be that intelligent to be creative. Judging from his personal interests and the way he approaches life and bodybuilding in general, I would say his intelligence is average but his creativity, slightly above average, which leads to his eccentricity and use of fancy words to describe an ordinary even, and that might be interpreted by some as being “intelligent”, when in fact, it really isn’t/

[quote]digitalairair wrote:

I think all too often people confuse creativity with intelligence. I think Kai is more of a creative type than an intelligent type. The two traits are correlated only up to a certain point. Sometimes one can even stifle the other.You don’t really have to be that intelligent to be creative. Judging from his personal interests and the way he approaches life and bodybuilding in general, I would say his intelligence is average but his creativity, slightly above average, which leads to his eccentricity and use of fancy words to describe an ordinary even, and that might be interpreted by some as being “intelligent”, when in fact, it really isn’t/ [/quote]

I agree completely. He is an “artistic” type. I know tons of guys like that. They can blow your mind with some of the concepts they come yup with…especially when there is ganja in the air.

That is why the comments seemed a little odd. He has a unique personality and character. Why not just accept it at that instead of trying to throw him in a box?

I do believe Kai is a painter also. He had some huge paintings in his crib during one video shoot. I would guess he is talented and very creative. Possibly one of the more interesting characters in bodybuilding.

Dude shouldn’t be judged on his speech alone. That was all I was getting at. Bodybuilders aren’t usually trying to impress everyone with their kinesiology knowledge. They usually already know it is more about the dedication and all out hard work than quoting studies.

So if you guys don’t think Kai has a, “great mind,” who do you think has?

Who is the most intelligent bodybuilder you’ve ever studied?
The most creative?

I do believe Kai is a painter also. He had some huge paintings in his crib during one video shoot. I would guess he is talented and very creative. Possibly one of the more interesting characters in bodybuilding.[/quote]

No disagreement there. He seems very talented but “great mind” is a huge stretch.

All I was getting at, really.

I’ve seen those paintings before, they’re pretty awesome.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

And verily I did laugh at your GIF SS.[/quote]

Laugh at me will you.[/quote]

I really LOLed at that gif.

Kai is a pretty damn good painter… That second one has some funky anatomy going on but whatevs.

EDIT: Lanky is probably my new favorite poster.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

Kai is a pretty damn good painter… That second one has some funky anatomy going on but whatevs.

EDIT: Lanky is probably my new favorite poster.[/quote]
He is not new and he is on the PLUS just FYI

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

He is not new and he is on the PLUS just FYI[/quote]

I just added gregorino and have not been added back. :frowning:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well fuck that.

I will talk to the young man dont worry.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well fuck that.

[/quote]

I didn’t get an email!?!!

I know Lanky isn’t new… By he’s my new favorite… As in replacing my old favorite ( I don’t know who that was though)

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well fuck that.

[/quote]

I didn’t get an email!?!!

I know Lanky isn’t new… By he’s my new favorite… As in replacing my old favorite ( I don’t know who that was though)
[/quote]
THAT WAS ME

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
finally got a chance to watch all 3 parts, and it was pretty interesting. Nice to see someone who doesnt perpetuate the stereotypes and is humble despite the success. [/quote]

err yeah.

When a camera is rolling anyone can be seen as humble/great/intelligent/thoughtful/sophisticated/romantic.

What happens off camera is where the meat is. Such examples like Arnold, who knew what he was like off camera if all you ever saw was him in the movies?

Same with every other actor, BB’er, powerlifter and strongman. Dont take what you see as gospel because they look and sound great for the cameras.[/quote]

I think it’s weird that you’re using Arnold as an example. I think Pumping Iron was actually pretty revealing about his character. He came off as a self-aggrandizing womanizer in that movie, and it seems like that’s relatively accurate, given what we now know about him.[/quote]

I was on about movies such as terminator, predator and the like.

“OH MY GAWD HE IS SO KEWL! How can I think up such great catchphrases!”

That sort of thing.[/quote]

The one-liners were initially just a way around Arnie’s inability to recite scripted dialogue, then they caught the public’s imagination and became the trademark of '80s action movies.

Dude shouldn’t be judged on his speech alone. That was all I was getting at. Bodybuilders aren’t usually trying to impress everyone with their kinesiology knowledge. They usually already know it is more about the dedication and all out hard work than quoting studies.

[/quote]

damn. He is talented. I knew there was more to that guy than bb, now I know there’s a lot more. Respect 100x.

Someone posted on my FB about how my videos allowed him to be expressive. He used some big words and everyone was criticizing him for trying to sound a lot smarter than he really was. I posted this as a response:

“intelligence is not the issue here. People confuse intelligence with imagination and being open minded. The two can be correlated but sometimes they are not. One can actually stifle the other. In fact, a lot of really imaginative artists are not particularly intelligent in the true sense of the word (IQ wise), and a lot of very intelligent people like doctors and lawyers don’t have a single original idea in their minds. When a person tries to express truly what’s on his mind, a lot of the time it has nothing to do with trying to outsmart others. Maybe this guy was trying to prove to others and me that he is smarter than everyone else, but I didn’t get that vibe at all. Maybe it’s the way I think about the way minds work. My definition of what constitute an ‘aesthetic mind’ is not limited to intelligence alone.”

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I do believe Kai is a painter also. He had some huge paintings in his crib during one video shoot. I would guess he is talented and very creative. Possibly one of the more interesting characters in bodybuilding.[/quote]

No disagreement there. He seems very talented but “great mind” is a huge stretch.

I’ve seen those paintings before, they’re pretty awesome.[/quote]

I think people are still trapped in the idea that a “great mind” is an “intelligent mind”. They are not always the same. My cousin is a doctor and he is extremely intelligent and analytical but other than doing a great job in the ER, his hobby consists of collecting baseball cards, drinking beer, and watching football games and the only topic of conversation he can have with others are about these areas of interests and medical terminologies that only doctors can understand.
Do you think that’s a sign of a good mind?

Or how about Richard Feynman and the brilliant filmmaker Werner Herzog ? They both have average IQs of 124 and 104 respectfully (imdb source) But to me they have 2 of the greatest minds ever. Herzog problem can’t even pass a organic chemistry class even if he tried. But it’s their ability to think differently, outside the box. This is a trait more to do with creativity, or even just a personality trait and not a cognitive one (although personality IS part of the cognition, I’m just playing with words here)

And then of course, you have someone like Einstein, who had an IQ of 160, yet is extremely creative as well, appreciated the arts, literature and music. But we can’t all be Einstein.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:
So if you guys don’t think Kai has a, “great mind,” who do you think has?

Who is the most intelligent bodybuilder you’ve ever studied?
The most creative?

[/quote]

I actually think Arnold has a great mind. If you look at his life, it’s extremely unorthodoxed and way outside the box in terms of all the different things he set out to achieve. But he did it through ACTIONS instead of words and ideas. But what led to those actions is nothing but a mindset. Arnold wasn’t artistic like Kai, or articulate even. So I would say that Arnold was neither super intelligent, or super creative, but he sure is hell of a character as well. Cognitive traits are so complex that putting them in boxes just won’t do the trick.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I’ve seen those paintings before, they’re pretty awesome.[/quote]

I think people are still trapped in the idea that a “great mind” is an “intelligent mind”. They are not always the same. My cousin is a doctor and he is extremely intelligent and analytical but other than doing a great job in the ER, his hobby consists of collecting baseball cards, drinking beer, and watching football games and the only topic of conversation he can have with others are about these areas of interests and medical terminologies that only doctors can understand.
Do you think that’s a sign of a good mind?

Or how about Richard Feynman and the brilliant filmmaker Werner Herzog ? They both have average IQs of 124 and 104 respectfully (imdb source) But to me they have 2 of the greatest minds ever. Herzog problem can’t even pass a organic chemistry class even if he tried. But it’s their ability to think differently, outside the box. This is a trait more to do with creativity, or even just a personality trait and not a cognitive one (although personality IS part of the cognition, I’m just playing with words here)

And then of course, you have someone like Einstein, who had an IQ of 160, yet is extremely creative as well, appreciated the arts, literature and music. But we can’t all be Einstein.
[/quote]

I liked this post, it definitely gave me a different perspective.

That being said, I’m not sure just being creative should be a sign of a great mind, either. Being able to draw or paint I don’t think would qualify one as having a great mind. If someone is creating things completely outside the box and changing the art world/industry, I think they start to qualify as having a great mind. It gets a little complicated because art in and of itself is so damn subjective, and then you have the “what is art?” question to tackle on top of it, but I do like the idea of having a great mind being more than just intelligence as is generally defined.

I’m still not sure Kai qualifies, but if others do then that’s their perogative. I just hope they don’t think he qualifies as a great mind based on his almost incoherent ramblings on training philosophy.