K1 WGP Final 2009

Preview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbOermfcvE

And the fight card : http://www.fansofk1.com/article?aID=2557&Category=4

I’m still backing Overeem as before… but the semi final between him and Hari could really take a lot out of the winner.

Apparrently the Japanese haven’t figured out musics role in getting people pumped in your product.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Apparrently the Japanese haven’t figured out musics role in getting people pumped in your product.[/quote]

LOL…well they are big believer’s in fighter spirit more than adrenaline to get people pumped up. But then again…Japanese tend to do things that will never make sense to us.

Ubereem by jakt fiberz.

How 'bout them apples? The first semifinal was one hell of a show.

Edit: Wow, that was a crazy event! The semifinals and the final were just… wow…

[quote]mldj wrote:
How 'bout them apples? The first semifinal was one hell of a show.

Edit: Wow, that was a crazy event! The semifinals and the final were just… wow…[/quote]

Just read the results. Can’t wait to see the videos.

Quarter Finals

Overeem vs. Teixeira

Schilt vs. Le Banner

Hari vs. Karaev

Zimmerman vs. Bonjasky (incomplete and bad quality - see the second video for the final round)

*** Spoiler ***

Semi Finals

Schilt vs. Bonjasky

Hari vs. Overeem

Finals

Schilt vs. Hari

Awesome quarterfinal matches. Overeem is jacked, no wonder he is ducking fighting in the states for the last 2 years. Schilt looks so awkward yet gets the job done.

gotta love the “All FTW” at the end of that promo vid.

Ok I’m usually not the guy to make this accusation but the second semi final has me bewildered. Now I’ll preface my next statement by saying I don’t watch a lot of Remy, so here goes.

That fucking fight looked fixed as shit.

Unless Remy was injured somehow right before the fight, was slipped some drugs, or something I can’t believe that’s the best he had to offer. That is of course unless he threw the fight because he was afraid of the new and improved uberhari.

By the way I loved how Hari owned overeem. Love both those guys, but damn, Hari’s my boy.

gotta love the “All FTW” at the end of that promo vid.

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Ok I’m usually not the guy to make this accusation but the second semi final has me bewildered. Now I’ll preface my next statement by saying I don’t watch a lot of Remy, so here goes.

Unless Remy was injured somehow right before the fight, was slipped some drugs, or something I can’t believe that’s the best he had to offer. That is of course unless he threw the fight because he was afraid of the new and improved uberhari.

By the way I loved how Hari owned overeem. Love both those guys, but damn, Hari’s my boy.[/quote]

Remy is not small but compared to Shilt, he’s looks like he’s a child. When the size difference is that big, it’s very dangerous.

I watched the fight and I think he did his best but his adversary (not very skilled) was just too big for him to handle.

[quote]LePiege wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

By the way I loved how Hari owned overeem. Love both those guys, but damn, Hari’s my boy.[/quote]

Remy is not small but compared to Shilt, he’s looks like he’s a child. When the size difference is that big, it’s very dangerous.

I watched the fight and I think he did his best but his adversary (not very skilled) was just too big for him to handle.[/quote]

Schiilt is not very skilled now? Oh Jesus.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Apparrently the Japanese haven’t figured out musics role in getting people pumped in your product.[/quote]

When every “agressive” product is hyped the same way with the same music, it doen’t work any more. I think the music was a good choice.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[quote]LePiege wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

I watched the fight and I think he did his best but his adversary (not very skilled) was just too big for him to handle.[/quote]

Schiilt is not very skilled now? Oh Jesus.[/quote]

Compared to the other fighters he’s less skilled and he’s slow.

You do realise that he’s 20 to 30 kg heavier and 6 to 12 inches taller than the other contestants.

Karaev needs to keep his guard up. He keeps getting knocked out in unfavourable ways for quite some time now… Too much into rushing and swinging, if you ask me.

That’s also what cost Hari the title, I’d suppose. He went overly confident, something that can be fatal when fighting bigger, stronger guys. Anyhow, guess it was worth it all for Schilt’s reaction to that lowkick. Did you notice the look of sheer disbelieve in Schilt’s face when he kicked Hari in the head, and instead of going down the bad boy chopped him down with a lowkick? Great.

I’m not particularly fond of Badr Hari’s attitude, especially towards Remy (terms like “fake champion” cross my mind here), but I like his spirit of always getting up and trying to continue the fight.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[quote]LePiege wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

No, he’s not. I remember the two us having that conversation back then. You’re quite the Schilt fan, aren’t you? Well, nothing wrong with that, everyone has their favourite fighter I guess.

Yes, Schilt’s become better. His hands are faster now. Still, his center of gravity is a mess, he’s slower than anyone of the other guys in that GP and his strikes are rather pushes.

Don’t get me wrong, technical skill is just one piece of the puzzle, Samy makes up for it in other areas. Just as Mariusz Pudzianowski (it’s kind of fitting, at the moment that whole size vs skill thing seems to be the exclusive hot topic…)

Schilt’s superior to anyone else in that ring by far when it comes to physical size and power, but neither his striking nor his kicking are particularly good. Mind you, we’re not talking amateur level here, that’s a professional league.

Those guys should just know their tools better (most of them do, by the way).

[quote]FirestormWarrior wrote:
Karaev needs to keep his guard up. He keeps getting knocked out in unfavourable ways for quite some time now… Too much into rushing and swinging, if you ask me.

That’s also what cost Hari the title, I’d suppose. He went overly confident, something that can be fatal when fighting bigger, stronger guys. Anyhow, guess it was worth it all for Schilt’s reaction to that lowkick. Did you notice the look of sheer disbelieve in Schilt’s face when he kicked Hari in the head, and instead of going down the bad boy chopped him down with a lowkick? Great.

I’m not particularly fond of Badr Hari’s attitude, especially towards Remy (terms like “fake champion” cross my mind here), but I like his spirit of always getting up and trying to continue the fight.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[quote]LePiege wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

No, he’s not. I remember the two us having that conversation back then. You’re quite the Schilt fan, aren’t you? Well, nothing wrong with that, everyone has their favourite fighter I guess.

Yes, Schilt’s become better. His hands are faster now. Still, his center of gravity is a mess, he’s slower than anyone of the other guys in that GP and his strikes are rather pushes.

Don’t get me wrong, technical skill is just one piece of the puzzle, Samy makes up for it in other areas. Just as Mariusz Pudzianowski (it’s kind of fitting, at the moment that whole size vs skill thing seems to be the exclusive hot topic…)

Schilt’s superior to anyone else in that ring by far when it comes to physical size and power, but neither his striking nor his kicking are particularly good. Mind you, we’re not talking amateur level here, that’s a professional league.

Those guys should just know their tools better (most of them do, by the way).[/quote]

FYI I was hoping for Overeem to win it. And everyone has their least favourite fighters, perhaps people are very eager to dismiss physically gifted fighters as non-skilled, primarily because they can’t relate to them. This is especially true if their styles look awkward.

So, for a quick comparison to some other combat sports, I would compare Schiilt to someone like Vitaly Klitchko. Distance fighters who have tremendous physical advantages over their opponents. who are very good at shutting them down which involves strategy and technique.

Now let’s compare Schiilt to the other fighters in the last 4.

We have Bonjasky, who is actually quite technically sound but quite inconsistent and not always the best strategy. Then we have Hari, who everyone drools over. He is very fast and has knockout power, but let’s face it, his approach was not something that’s very technical. no defence whatsoever, reckless hooks… and Schiilt having been KO’ed before has obviously prepared for the rush this time. (strategy/technique)

Overeem is also someone I’d describe as technical, but not much more so than Schiilt and he is now seemingly reliant on his physical advantages too. I think he was expecting to just walk through Hari again, which obviously wasn’t gonna happen.

And why are you comparing Semmy, a 4 time WGP champion and seasoned MMA veteran, to Mariusz who’s just debuted and beat some tomato can, hmm? :slight_smile:

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[quote]FirestormWarrior wrote:

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[quote]LePiege wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

Those guys should just know their tools better (most of them do, by the way).[/quote]

FYI I was hoping for Overeem to win it. And everyone has their least favourite fighters, perhaps people are very eager to dismiss physically gifted fighters as non-skilled, primarily because they can’t relate to them. This is especially true if their styles look awkward.
[/quote]

That may be a point. On the other hand, “physically gifted” comes down to definition, doesn’t it? For a strength athlete, that might mean being big and massive, for a TKD guy or a fencer this would be lighting fast movement and reflexes, for a Judo player propably innate stamina… I guess if you’re not physically gifted, reaching a WGP final is beyonf reach anyways.

I disagree. Schilt is no distance fighter. Quite frankly, I can’t give you any numbers, but AFAIR almost every knockout Schilt ever scored was either the left jab or the knee strike. Now, in Kickboxing (that’s what K1 is, after all), a teep or a pao is a distance technique, while a knee strike is not.

Thus, on the contrary, I’ve always considered Schilt to be a dangerous infighter, not a distance fighter.

[/quote
Now let’s compare Schiilt to the other fighters in the last 4.

We have Bonjasky, who is actually quite technically sound but quite inconsistent and not always the best strategy.
[/quote]

Ok. But Remy not being consistent didn’t keep him from winning 3 world titles and a couple of european ones… I kind of like that inconsistency.

That’s what I said ;).

Can’t argue with that.

[quote]
And why are you comparing Semmy, a 4 time WGP champion and seasoned MMA veteran, to Mariusz who’s just debuted and beat some tomato can, hmm? :)[/quote]

Because quite frankly, I’m convinced that in 2 years I’ll be discussing this very point with people who claim that Pudzian is like “so skilled” and a “great fighter” because he’s beating his opposition on raw physical power. Just because Samy won 4 titles doesn’t mean he’s technically skilled. Maybe he’s a good fighter judged by his results, but in the end his success doesn’t come from skill. That’s why.